Quantcast

best voices in music

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMike said:
This list starts out bad and just gets worse! All of their voices are like nails on a chalk board
i was half-thinking listing bono and stipe...they are pretty decent to sometimes great, depending on the song. be gibbard's not bad either, although i much prefer DCFC to the preciousness of the Postal Service.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
narlus said:
i was half-thinking listing bono and stipe...they are pretty decent to sometimes great, depending on the song. be gibbard's not bad either, although i much prefer DCFC to the preciousness of the Postal Service.
Ok...BOno's decent. But Sound Garden guy, Counting crows guy, and someone mentioned system of a down... omg... There is very little on this Earth more offensive to the ear, human or otherwise, than those voices.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Mike Patton. Huge fan
Chris Cornell. Amazing voice
Layne Staley (RIP)
The singer from The Mars Volta. Dude can wail! Anyone know his name?
Bruce Dickenson. Up the Irons!

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Wayne Petti - Cuff the Duke
Karen O - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Dolores O'Riordan - The Cranberries
Neil Young
Joel Plaskett
Matt Bellamy - Muse
Rob Harvey - The Music
Thom Yorke - Radiohead
Sarah Slean
Valery Gore
Jon Thor Birgisson - Sigur Ros
Travis
Richard Ashcroft - The Verve

These are what come to mind...I'm sure I'll think of more...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
#2. EV - although since 10 their music has really sucked 'overall'
#1. Chris cornel although he sucks with AS.
Johnny reznek and he’ll get a #1 for still rockin.
Lenny Kravitz
Axl

Steven Tyler - good

not making music but still a voice Kurt Cobain
Ray Charles
Michael hutchins could sing
Robert Plant

I see a lot of names who are on people lists that are great writers but vocalist? not hardly. Dylan was a great lyricist but his voice was not so.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Toninator said:
not making music but still a voice
Robert Plant
he's got a new record out, no?

The Toninator said:
I see a lot of names who are on people lists that are great writers but vocalist? not hardly. Dylan was a great lyricist but his voice was not so.
maybe "best" should be re-cast as "favorite". certainly bob's not gonna win any karoake contests, but he's pretty effective w/ his own songs nonetheless.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMike said:
Ok...BOno's decent. But Sound Garden guy, Counting crows guy, and someone mentioned system of a down... omg... There is very little on this Earth more offensive to the ear, human or otherwise, than those voices.
What kind of music do you like then?

And a lot of the people I listed because when you really get deep into their albums, the quality of their voices is much more apparent than their radio-friendly singles.

I have to stick up for Adam Duritz though. He's been portrayed as whiny and all that, but the guy can sing and has a unique style. I've heard him live a half a dozen times and he's always impressive. He's nothing like his fluffy singles convey.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Rob Halford hands down for the best scream...that guy can still wail...

i may be accused of obscurism, but "Cry Cry Cry" on the above record has some great screams courtesy of Michael Kastelic. good fuzz gtr too...fans of the Nuggets-type garage rock should seek this out post-haste.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
The Toninator said:
Dylan was a great lyricist but his voice was not so.
The voice has character and an interesting tone.

How about Connor Oberst (bright eyes) Any body ever wonder how a kid from Omaha ended up sounding British?:think:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Both Narlus and Toninator mentioned Ray Charles in this thread, and for some reason, I have just recently started listening to him.
He is downright incredible.
It is a style of music that I don't normally listen to, but the dude just owns it.
The only downside is that when you get one of his songs stuck in your head and you try to sing it outloud, you realize he was 100% soul and you are 100% honkey.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Go listen to a song by jp called Ram it Down...now THAT is a scream that cannot be topped by anyone...
i heard it was actually a field recording from a leather club bathroom stall...

ram it down indeed!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Jeremy R said:
Both Narlus and Toninator mentioned Ray Charles in this thread, and for some reason, I have just recently started listening to him.
He is downright incredible.
It is a style of music that I don't normally listen to, but the dude just owns it.
The only downside is that when you get one of his songs stuck in your head and you try to sing it outloud, you realize he was 100% soul and you are 100% honkey.
We’ll I’m not an end all be all fan but I have been listening to his music for years and seen him in concert. Unfortunately I’ve seen (saw) him live more times than the number of albums I own. I’m going to remedy that but it’s going to take some research, I think he has like 80 albums out or some crazy number like that.
I do understand though about ‘discovering’ certain artist especially older artist’s. I often get caught up in the moment and ignore past performers but when there’s a lull in good artist’s I usually go backwards and try to rediscover past greats. I also neglect the now sometimes too but I always try to listen once.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
bluebug32 said:
Fight Songs is definitely one of my favorite albums
Hitchhike to Rhome is one of my all-time favorite albums, and in my opinion, the best Old 97's album.

Well, I musta been stoooooned
when this whole thing started...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
partsbara said:
i was there... wasn t i ??? :confused: ... did nt david yow jam a mic up his butt at a gig somewhere. ??? he is definately out there.. dEAF AS A BAT !!!!!

eric b - AOL is awesome...

fark, there is so many...

tex perkins - cruel sea / beasts of bourbon is good also
i like kim salmons vocal stuff as well...
No, you didn't go to that one mate.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cool thread.

Geddy Lee. Hahahahahaa, no just kidding, I was a Rush fan but it was in spite of his voice.

For the classics I gotta go with ol' blue eyes, Sinatra. Dude had some amazing pipes.

Also Louis Armstrong. ("Wonderful World" makes me wish I could sing like that.)

More recently, hmmm, how about Snoop? :sneaky:

And Bruce D. from Maiden.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
No bodies going to say it but Mariah Carry has a VOICE. 7 octaves it cant be denied. It’s a shame she only uses it for teenybopper music.
To me she’s kind of like the antithesis to Dylan, no song writing talent but dam can she sing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Toninator said:
No bodies going to say it but Mariah Carry has a VOICE. 7 octaves it cant be denied. It’s a shame she only uses it for teenybopper music.
To me she’s kind of like the antithesis to Dylan, no song writing talent but dam can she sing.
the vocal gymnastics of the modern pop diva, influenced by gospel, is certainly technically impressive (cf whitney, christina, mariah, et al) but really does nothing for me. in fact, it repels me. the trait of hunting for a particular tone, vibrato-heavy and ranging over multiple octaves, leaves me cold.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
narlus said:
the vocal gymnastics of the modern pop diva, influenced by gospel, is certainly technically impressive (cf whitney, christina, mariah, et al) but really does nothing for me. in fact, it repels me. the trait of hunting for a particular tone, vibrato-heavy and ranging over multiple octaves, leaves me cold.
Yep....just cuz you CAN doesn't mean you should!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
narlus said:
yea I agree, again she has an incredible instrument he application is misguided (for MY tastes) but that shouldn’t detract from the fact that she has a 7 octave perfect pitch.
I respect her for her abilities I just don’t care to listen to her.

Bjern Fita

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Åsgårdstrand, Norway
it's gotta be electronically augmented but the Indian chick singing on 'Smack My Bitch Up' is just crazy.

And I know that technically the voice is crap, but I reckon Trent Reznor can pack a fair bit o' emotion into a song.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Craig Werden from Shudder to Think.

He has one of the best scream/shrieks in music.