Best Warning Label for Prescription Meds

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'll start:

ANDROGEL
"Women and children should not come into contact with the application site"

I would also like to say that when I tried to google the full list of warning signs for it, this was highlighted in one of the links:

Can someone please tell me why androgel cannot be used on the penis or genitals? I have using it on the shoulders and it is working very well.
:thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cahntrix (Varenicline) is a Prescription Medication Used to Help Patients Stop Smoking:

FDA said:
Warning: Chantrix May Cause Suicidal Thoughts
That's one way to quit smoking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am not supposed to even bring my arthritis meds into a household with a pregnant woman. Meds can cause serious birth defects.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
from a pill i used to take a few years ago...
Treatment with Seroquel is associated with the risk of some serious complications. These include:

Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS), a potentially fatal illness whose symptoms include high fever, muscle rigidity, profuse sweating and dark urine. Read more: Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome.

Tardive Dyskinesia, a movement disorder that may not go away unless treated promptly. Symptoms include uncontrolled movements of the lips and tongue. Read more: Tardive Dyskinesia.

High blood sugar and diabetes. Patients who have diabetes mellitus or have risk factors such as obesity and family history of diabetes should have fasting blood glucose tests before beginning treatment with Seroquel and at regular intervals during treatment.

Rare but Significant Side Effects
In 1% or fewer of patients taking Seroquel in clinical trials, the following were reported:

Dizziness or fainting upon standing
Cataracts
Seizures
Underactive thyroid
Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides
so pretty much, you can die, get diabetes, cataracts, seizures or develop irreversible ticks/involuntary movements.
yay!!!!!!

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Coumadin: Easily the most evil drug I've ever been on. Originally developed as rodent poison.
Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.

Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, diabetes, any type of infection, or bleeding problems. Also tell your doctor if you have recently had a fall or other injury. Tell your doctor if you have a rare, hereditary condition called protein C deficiency.

You may bleed and bruise more easily while you are using this medicine. Stay away from rough sports or other situations where you could be bruised, cut, or injured. Brush and floss your teeth gently. Be careful when using sharp objects, including razors and fingernail clippers. Avoid picking your nose. If you need to blow your nose, blow it gently.

Tell your doctor right away if you start to have diarrhea, fever, or any signs of infection.

Carry an ID card or wear a medical alert bracelet to let any emergency caregivers know that you are using warfarin.

This medicine may cause skin necrosis or gangrene. Call your doctor right away if you have a pain, color change, or temperature change to any area of your body. Also, call your doctor right away if you have a pain in your toes and they look purple or dark in color. These could be signs of a serious medical problem.

Do not stop taking any of your medicines or start any new medicines unless they have been discussed with your doctor. Always keep a list of your medicines with you at all times.

Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before having surgery or medical tests.

It is very important that your doctor checks your progress at regular visits to see if the medicine is working properly. Blood tests, such as PT/INR, are needed to check for proper dosage and unwanted side effects. Be sure to keep all appointments.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
And what was the original treatment to get rid of?
bipolar disorder... i dont take it regularly, just when i get hypomaniac, and the racing thoughts/add/hyperactivity start messing with my productivity. which is like once or twice a year.

at the doses i used to take it (25-50mg a day), its very unlikely to get serious side effects,
although i remember i tried zyprexa twice (a similar nasty drug) before seroquel, and it send me straight to the ER (my jaw shut tight, to the point my teeth started hurting from the pressure). for a moment i thought i was getting the first symptoms of Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, but fortunately, i wasnt. got an IV with some muscle relaxant and that was it. never tried zyprexa again, although doctors swear is the best thing since sliced bread.

people with schizophrenia, who use 400-800mg/day of seroquel everyday for extended periods of time, are pretty much guaranteed to develop at least one of those serious side effects.

but the craziest thing i´ve heard about this drug, is the fact that it was a somewhat common practice to prescribe seroquel off-label as a sleep aid.
its WAAAAAAAY too dangerous to justify its use as a sleeping aid.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Carbamazepine is a good one:

Serious Dermatologic Rxns and HLA-B*1502 Allele

serious, sometimes fatal dermatologic rxns reported, incl. toxic epidermal necrolysis and Stevens-Johnson syndrome; risk 10x greater in some Asian countries; strong assoc. between risk and HLA-B*1502 allele, which is found almost exclusively in Asian pts; screen pts of genetically at-risk ancestry (see pkg insert) for HLA-B*1502 allele before initiating tx; pts testing positive should not be treated w/ carbamazepine unless benefit clearly outweighs risk

Aplastic Anemia/Agranulocytosis

risk 5-8x greater than that of general public but low overall risk in untreated general population; transient or persistent decr. platelet or WBC counts not uncommon w/ carbamazepine tx but majority of leukopenia cases do not progress to aplastic anemia or agranulocytosis; perform baseline and periodic hematological testing; if low or decr. WBC or platelet counts monitor closely, consider D/C tx if evidence of significant bone marrow depression
Not such arresting language but those two side effects are that your skin and mucus membranes could slough off and die, and your bone marrow could cease to make blood cells.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
No warning labels about priapism yet? RM is lagging

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I am not supposed to even bring my arthritis meds into a household with a pregnant woman. Meds can cause serious birth defects.
a treatment for my brothers ridgeback when he had cancer would have involved a medication that would have made him sh!t/vomit all the time...was not safe around pregnant women/kids....and the sh!t/vomit you cleaned up had to be basically treated as hazardous medical waste.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
bipolar disorder... i dont take it regularly, just when i get hypomaniac, and the racing thoughts/add/hyperactivity start messing with my productivity. which is like once or twice a year.

at the doses i used to take it (25-50mg a day), its very unlikely to get serious side effects,
although i remember i tried zyprexa twice (a similar nasty drug) before seroquel, and it send me straight to the ER (my jaw shut tight, to the point my teeth started hurting from the pressure). for a moment i thought i was getting the first symptoms of Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, but fortunately, i wasnt. got an IV with some muscle relaxant and that was it. never tried zyprexa again, although doctors swear is the best thing since sliced bread.

people with schizophrenia, who use 400-800mg/day of seroquel everyday for extended periods of time, are pretty much guaranteed to develop at least one of those serious side effects.

but the craziest thing i´ve heard about this drug, is the fact that it was a somewhat common practice to prescribe seroquel off-label as a sleep aid.
its WAAAAAAAY too dangerous to justify its use as a sleeping aid.
Ah, was just curious.... I just see a lot of meds given these days that the posible side efects are worse than the original problem