Quantcast

Best way to clean a chain

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Stupid question since I've been riding for 10+ years, but what's the most effective way to clean, say, a chain?

I normally spend ages with hot water, washing up liquid, and a scrubbing brush, and it's still a bit gritty/oily by the end of it. Is there something I can use that will make the oil just fall off of it? I've never tried any of these pink bike cleaning liquids, are they any good or just a waste of money?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pedros degreaser works well for me. The orange peelz stuff. Also non-toxic, which is a plus. Just don't get it in your eyes. It burns like a mofo. I learned this the hard way.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
0,5-0,7L PET bottle with big "intake" + petrol. Shake it very hard for few minutes, dry it well and it's done. Pour back into bigger container, coz You'll use it next time.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Any citrus degreaser (I buy the bulk generic at Home Depot) + a Finish Line chain cleaner (the green plastic one). I've never found anything that gets stuff off better/faster.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
if its really that bad, remove the chain and soak it in the degreaser. then run it through the finish line chain cleaner.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
0,5-0,7L PET bottle with big "intake" + petrol. Shake it very hard for few minutes, dry it well and it's done. Pour back into bigger container, coz You'll use it next time.
I'd be secretly terrified that the chain was going to knock on itself hard enough to spark.... probably totally improbable, but I don't think I'd enjoy shaking it nonetheless!

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Citrus degreaser does work well. I usually just take off my chain when washing the bike and throw it in the bucket of soapy water that i am using to clean the bike and let it soak while i wash the bike. After im done and the bike is dry the last thing i do is pull it out and scrub it real quick with a brush and then rinse it off. Works really well for me. I clean my bike often though so the buildup on the chain usually isnt too bad.

For most regular cleans, I just leave the chain on and use a Park Tool chain cleaner with standard citrus degreaser (just buy a gallon of it at OSH/Home Depot for cheap). If it's really gritty, I'll sometimes use a brush first to get some of the big stuff, but since I clean almost every ride that's not usually necessary. Also, make sure you clean your cassette/chainrings with a brush and some degreaser!

For a while, I tried taking the chain off and shaking it around in a 32 oz gatorade bottle with about 4-6 oz of Dumonde citrus degreaser (really strong). It worked quite well, and you could use that same 4-6 oz for 10+ cleanings, but I got tired of taking the chain off and fishing it out of the bottle, plus occasionally just a bit of friction (brush, chain cleaner) was all it needed to get super clean

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
have you considered using different lube? I run the Rock n' Roll blue stuff, re-apply it every third ride, and just brush the chain off between rides once it's dry. The chain stays nice and clean, as do the chainrings and cogset. And yes, I ride it in very muddy conditions.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I'd be secretly terrified that the chain was going to knock on itself hard enough to spark.... probably totally improbable, but I don't think I'd enjoy shaking it nonetheless!
Well, I've never torched myself :D But, it's the best and cheapest way to clean the chain I know, however, not very eco-friendly ;)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The beverage bottle method works great! This is the number one reason that I run a quick link on all of my chains, it takes no more than a couple seconds to pull the chain and throw it in the cleaner. WAY cleaner, easier and faster than trying to clean the chain on the bike IMO...

As for the solvent, I have used several different types with good success. Bio de-greasers, petrol solvents, and simple green...

Just remember that anything water based can lead to rust/oxidation (so can simple ambient humidity with a completely bare chain) so make sure to rinse and immediately apply a penetrating/water displacing lube..

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
spraying some WD-40 on a rag then wiping the chain down works well and is cheap. Citrus works well too, but I typically use WD, wipe it dry off and put the lube on.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
being that ur in the Uk seb give Fenicks FS1 a shot. It a great degreaser and if you dilute it you can use it on the whole bike.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Diesel fuel (or kerosene). Just soak it overnight (or better yet, 2-3 days), and all the old lube/junk just falls off like magic, without even scrubbing. Cheap too. The only problem is getting rid of it in a safe way.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I use finish line wet lube. I clean with a park gear brush, then a rag, and then lube. I like to wait till the dirt/mud is dry so it is easier to remove, falls off. I clean the cassette and chain ring(s) at the same time.

i have heard good things about the clip on chain cleaners, just fill with cleaner, attach, back pedal, and re lube.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I use realease-all.......let the dirtiest nastiest chain sit for 20 minutes or more........rinse with warm water and maybe a little scrub with a brush and its like new. I love this stuff.