Quantcast

best way to get over nerves?

esr

Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ontario,canada
take a Vitamin that blocks or inhibits d2 receptors. This will help with confidence and clear thinking ect.

Then just ride your bike dammit

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Self loathing is really the way to go. Every run should be a battle with your demons that want you to die. In the words of fight club, "It is only after we have lost everything, that we are free to do anything". Rumor has it that Sam Hill was a Hutu'ist genocidal collaborator and his self loathing alone willed himself to the top of the podium.
Sam Hill has it easy. Anyone ever looked at the kid? He's a shy, geeky little kid who had nothing to lose. He obviously doesn't know what girls are for yet as he spends every waking minute on the bike. Hand that kid a redhead and a beer and you'll never see him on the Podium again, he'll be at the strip club trying to poke bike parts into G-strings...

:biggrin:

I also just realized that I always capitalize "Podium." Like it's the damn Holy Grail!

As far as all this nerves crap go, and I've said this before, here's my "method:" It's just bike riding. For me, racing is just a chance to run a really kick-ass trail that's not usually open to the public(atleast around here, anyway). And it's a FAST trail. I just try to get to the bottom on the first run. I look around, maybe even jog back up a few sketchy sections and bounce through them again. If I miss my line, back up I go and try the one I intended on hitting, or to try a smoother line I saw while rodeo'ing through the one I was on. Next run I link it all together. Next run I focus on not crashing at all and committing to my line choice. Next run I try not crashing...faster. Once I've got my lines linked and I know my etrance and exit points, I back off, go pee, and focus on laughing, being sm,ooth, and pumping stuff. Ever notice that when you're pumping things here and there you can't HELP but smile? It's actually RIDING your bike, not just hanging on till the bottom arrives. And my rule: If I'm not smiling at the bottom, I don't go back up until I access why. It's not worth getting hurt over if it's not fun. There's 10 people on the planet fast enough for the podiums and I'll never be one of them! And I'm fine with that! I know what girls are for AND I'm riding bikes!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
You havent even seen Snowshoe yet and your freaking yourself out. LMAO!!! I will take it easy on you the first couple runs.

Best advice for this dude is to follow your [denjen's] a$$ down every run.

Denjen knows that mountain better than most people know there own peckers.

Honestly, for the 'Shoe, follow denjen and the guys he rides with. They take the time to show you the features and terrain. Listen to them VERY carefully. So when you do ride it, you just do it.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Just don't follow Dennis to stare at the fountain, and don't take any lessons from Buzz on how to eat a sandwich.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
smoke pcp and listen to Slayer. You'll be pinning it in no time

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Wanna get hurt really bad? Stay on the bike when you should have bailed.

There is a time and a place for everything. Sometimes, when the consequences of a crash are dire you do everything you ****ing can to hang on to the bars. Other times you gotta take the graceful tumble over the awkward stack.
Yeah that came out wrong, I have to hold back from posting after drinking, I come off like an serious ass:biggrin:

But I agree there's a time to lay the bike over, I still think people can ride out of much more than they believe, sometime it helps, sometimes it doesn't I suppose.

Back on topic, One of few times I got nervous at a race was when someone asked me if I was nervous. All the sudden I got nervous.
So for me it's best to forgot nerves exist in the first place. Nervous? what hell does that mean. I'm just going to ride!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Sam Hill has it easy. Anyone ever looked at the kid? He's a shy, geeky little kid who had nothing to lose. He obviously doesn't know what girls are for yet as he spends every waking minute on the bike.
He was dating Sabrina Jonnier in 05-06. Maybe they just exchanged suspension setup tips :imstupid:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The truth is, and this works....

SHUT UP AND RIDE!

Stop worrying and ride...Fear does not exist. How can you fear something that has not happened yet? You can't fear something as it happens...and fearing something that has happened, has already happened, therefore, fear does not exist.

Fear the "Shoe" crowed after a day of riding. Then and only then should you feal a strong sense of apprehension! :p