Quantcast

Best way to get to Windham from VA?

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
I'm planning to drive to the WC at Windham from SW VA, Roanoke specifically...Google maps sends me up 81 for over 400 miles, thru PA, NY and into the smaller numbered roads that take you to Windham...550 miles, 10hrs 49 minutes...OMG!!!!!

Yahoo on the other hand, has me getting off 81 north around Harrisburg and heading east on 78, around NYC and then north into Windham...569 miles...but only 9hrs 30 mins???? WTF???

More miles, less of a straight line, but an hour and a half shorter???

Can anyone make sense of this?...obviously...I'd rather take the 9.5 hr way...if that is accurate.

Thanks in advance for any info.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm planning to drive to the WC at Windham from SW VA, Roanoke specifically...Google maps sends me up 81 for over 400 miles, thru PA, NY and into the smaller numbered roads that take you to Windham...550 miles, 10hrs 49 minutes...OMG!!!!!

Yahoo on the other hand, has me getting off 81 north around Harrisburg and heading east on 78, around NYC and then north into Windham...569 miles...but only 9hrs 30 mins???? WTF???

More miles, less of a straight line, but an hour and a half shorter???

Can anyone make sense of this?...obviously...I'd rather take the 9.5 hr way...if that is accurate.
yeah if you take 81 to 78east to NJ and north from there, you are on major highways the whole time.
when traveling north through PA and into NY, you cant go as fast on the smaller roads.
i live in PA and take 78E-287N-87N

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Thanks...I'll stick with that route...now I just need the efing GPS to tell me the same thing...otherwise I'll have to force feed it the best way to go...I love my GPS for when I'm in completely unfamiliar terr. but its annoying that it will take me a 10 minute longer route to go the approx 8 miles from my house to 81n.!!!!!

ya feel me???

Are you heading up to the WC????

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ya feel me???

Are you heading up to the WC????
if you stick with the directions from Yahoo, the navi should re-route you to that way.
ive never taken the route through PA, but i know it is much slower.

ill be up there for a week since the Platty race is the week before

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Do you have a hook up for a place to stay up there??? Condos on the mountain are $300 a night...not happening...camping is $30...that's more like it...and there is a quaint motel 1.5 miles from the venue that is $85...that may be the ticket...do you know any decent places to stay up that way?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do you have a hook up for a place to stay up there??? Condos on the mountain are $300 a night...not happening...camping is $30...that's more like it...and there is a quaint motel 1.5 miles from the venue that is $85...that may be the ticket...do you know any decent places to stay up that way?
i stay at a friend's house who live 2 mins from Platty. sorry, i dont know of lodging near besides the camping lot that is down the mountain's driveway.

cdale3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2010
I know of a few places in the area that are fairly cheep and include meal. Big plus is they also have beautiful xc trails on the property. Check out Riedlbauersresort.com. They host a xc race in the fall. It is about 15 min away from Windham mt. If they are full you can also check out Winter Clove inn. Both places are going to be alot cheaper than anything in Windham. I live local and ride around these places all the time. Great people and Mtb friendly.

cdale3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2010
Anyone looking for more info on places to stay or ride in the area please pm me. If you can make the event it would b great. I know all of the people that are making this happen. They are putting in a ton of work. :thumb:

cdale3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2010
Just checked with my Buddy Peter (owner of Riedlbauers) The rates are $83 a night which includes three meals a day. Cant beat it.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I would do a little different route: 83N to 81N to 88E. From 88 (and maybe the Patty people can help you here), you can back road it into Schoharie or Delaware County then into Green County (Windham). It will avoid you having to touch NJ or NYC.

EDIT: if you find the right exit off of 88, Windham will only about an hour or so off of 88.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
I travel this way often, best way is to take 81 North to Scranton Pa, then take 84 East to Newburgh, hop on the NYS Thruway (I87 north) to the Catskill Exit, follow the signs to Windham (Route 23), it is about 20-30 minutes off the highway.

Should be about 9 hours, not much more.

I have heard everything in Windham is booked and people are having to stay as far away as Albany...

Last edited:

cdale3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2010
taking I88 to the 145 exit will take you a lot longer and out of your way. faster through NJ to NYS thruway.