Quantcast

Best way to go Tubeless

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
As the title says I'm looking for the best/cheapest way to go tubeless. I've flatted in 3 consecutive races (one with a DH tube) and using a different tire in each race. Anyone out there use the stans tubeless conversion, if so how well does it work etc. I'm also looking for some rim reccomendations...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Hey Yeah Stans Tubless Works Great But If You Are Looking For A Cheap Way To Go Tubless You Have To Go Ghetto Tubles, An To Do That You Us Bmx Parts, Your Going To Save Money But You Are Going To Gain Some Weight, I Am Not Sure Exactly How You Do It But I Heard That There Are A Good Amount Of Peole Doing It, Just Google How To Make My Bike Ghetto Tubless Or I Am Sure Somone On This Site Will Know How To Do It.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
John I have not had good results running Michelin with Stans at Diablo - I just keep cutting holes in the tires on top and the sidewall of the tire but Maxxis Highrollers last year worked without a problem. Stans may well seal the tires but in case of a hole in the tire you will loose air and a tire with too low air pressure in a race run is not good either.

You have only had one flat with a DH tube. I would run DH tubes with some baby powder and try running a little higher air pressure. Also don't change to much around so you can find out why you keep flatting. Is it that way you ride, is how you install the tubes and tires, is it the tire etc.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I like using maxxis ts rim strips with stans sealant. Easier to mount than stans in my experience, and are a bargain at $5 a piece. They only come in presta though, which some people may not like.

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
Universe said:
http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

The stans sealant is a little better than the latex, although I've had zero problems after running them for 6 months.
I'm running this exact setup, I followed these instructions. I'm running Mavic 729's with WTB Timberwolfs (kevlar 2.5) I haven't had any problems at all. In fact I tacoed my front wheel up at Whistler in July and the wheel I was runnig at the time, a Mavic ex 321 with the same tires I'm running now. They held most of there air after I compleatly folded the rim at the seam busting one of the pins and bending the other one. But it held air for the next three days until I got back to portland. :love:

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Discostu said:
I like using maxxis ts rim strips with stans sealant. Easier to mount than stans in my experience, and are a bargain at $5 a piece. They only come in presta though, which some people may not like.
I second the Maxxis strips :thumb: . When using these strips with michelins and Ryhno lites I did not even need sealant. Now after a few flat spots in the rim I am running stan's. I have had a couple punctures in my rear tire but just used normal tube patches to fix them. I have been running the same tires since June now. I have landed sideways and all but rolled my tire off the rim and they still held air. I am sold on this setup.

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
I use the Stans system with Mavic D321/729 rims with Maxxis High rollers and Minions on my DH bike. It works AWESOME! Never had any problems...and NO MORE FLATS! :thumb: I have also used Tioga White Tigers. They worked OK, but were quite hard to inflate, even with a compressor...

I also have Mavic EX823 UST rims on my DJ/4X bike, that I run tubeless with a non UST 2.35 Maxxis High roller and 2.00 Larsen TT. I use a little Stans sealant to seal them and it works SWEET! Even better than the Stans as it doesn’t need the rim strips...

Both my tubeless systems can be easily inflated with a track pump.

I haven’t used the Ghetto system with latex, but I have heard that the Stans sealant is better...

Tubeless is defiantly the way to go. Once you've used it, you'll never go back!

zmtber said:
Hey Yeah Stans Tubless Works Great But If You Are Looking For A Cheap Way To Go Tubless You Have To Go Ghetto Tubles, An To Do That You Us Bmx Parts, Your Going To Save Money But You Are Going To Gain Some Weight, I Am Not Sure Exactly How You Do It But I Heard That There Are A Good Amount Of Peole Doing It, Just Google How To Make My Bike Ghetto Tubless Or I Am Sure Somone On This Site Will Know How To Do It.
Dude how long did that take you to write?!

Mavic 823 and any Michelin tyre with a good bead, no sealent needed. It'll work, it's amazing.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I also agree that Maxxis rim strips are the way to go. I have run the DH1 on a Sun Singletrack with a Maxxis UST DHR and with a UST Highroller with zero sealent. Seatlent does seem to help with reducing burbing.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i run 823 and ust maxxis tires. they have worked well for me all over the psi range. so if you run sealent im sure it helps, but i have not ran any and i havent needed so its up to you if you need it or not. if you have no problems then there is no need for it, but if the tire wont hold air then you need it. so thats my take on it. or you can keep your wheels and rims and get stans conversion. :thumb:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
As the title says I'm looking for the best/cheapest way to go tubeless. I've flatted in 3 consecutive races (one with a DH tube) and using a different tire in each race. Anyone out there use the stans tubeless conversion, if so how well does it work etc. I'm also looking for some rim reccomendations...
what tires and air pressure are you running. A proper DH tire shouldn't be flatting much if at all if inflated properly unless youre riding on razor blades or something.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

how many pros on the WC circuit run tubeless? how come some run tubeless and some do not?