Quantcast

Best way to print remotely from my new notebook...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loco said:
Additionally - BV is the one helping me, so I am sure he'll check the tech forum if it's moved. Move away - I don't care.
that was my initial point...the people who would help you would also be checking that forum...

people love to bitch about all the detritus and clutter in the lounge, yet they fail to exercise personal responsibility about it. :mumble:

J

JRB

binary visions said:
By the way loco, I'm taking negative rep for helping you - "Jesus Christ... GIVE IT UP!!!! loco is a complete dumbass" - so you'd better be grateful ;)
I am grateful.

BS is just pissed he got owned last night.

J

JRB

narlus said:
that was my initial point...the people who would help you would also be checking that forum...

people love to bitch about all the detritus and clutter in the lounge, yet they fail to exercise personal responsibility about it. :mumble:
Please exercise a sense of humor and realize the beer and food thing was a joke.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:

I wonder why JBP hasn't moved it already. Lord knows he's always ever vigilant looking to move threads to their 'proper' place. :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
Cool - I will try that tonight. I am assuming that the only change will be to tell it to use static IPs and type them in eh???
Yes, you tell it to use Static IPs and enter in all the information I told you to copy down.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...and this, is pretty much why you should post tech threads in the tech forum. People like me, and Wumpus, and Ciaran are there to make your life easier, but people like N8, BS and MancilG don't clutter the thread with seventy-five comments about how it's not turned on, or you didn't click the print button, or you should just buy a new printer :p

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
...and this, is pretty much why you should post tech threads in the tech forum. People like me, and Wumpus, and Ciaran are there to make your life easier, but people like N8, BS and MancilG don't clutter the thread with seventy-five comments about how it's not turned on, or you didn't click the print button, or you should just buy a new printer :p
...is that not WHY we have the lounge? To say dumb **** and post links to perverted/silly websites and laugh at bikerfox? I dont wanna be the badguy here. Im adhering to strick Lounge etiquette.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
...is that not WHY we have the lounge? To say dumb **** and post links to perverted/silly websites and laugh at bikerfox? I dont wanna be the badguy here. Im adhering to strick Lounge etiquette.
I guess the :p face at the end wasn't enough. The post was entirely in jest - clutter away, I certainly do it to plenty of threads :D

Besides, it's a loco thread... it wouldn't be right if it wasn't at least half useless ;)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
My computers wouldn't work using the "computer name". I had to enter the IPs of each computer to get it to work properly, but I don't have all those firewalls set up either.

J

JRB

I am not entirely sure how I need or want the security set up on all of this now. How guarded can I get the network with the router? Do I need to run Zone Alarm or another firewall, or can I do it with the router?

J

JRB

Any chance you'll be around IM this evening if I have any stupid questions, BV???

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
There should be a "print" button somewhere on your browser. Try clicking that.
Might I add that this is an EXCELLENT suggestion.

:thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
I commend your patience in this thread.

I would've told him to plunge a screwdriver through it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In Internet Explorer type:
\\192.168.1.100 from the computer with ip 192.168.1.101
\\192.168.1.101 from the computer with ip 192.168.1.100

That will show you any shares you might have on either computer.

You can type the ip of your own computer to see the shares enabled too.

Right-click on the named shared printer and choose connect.

Most likely your problems are caused by those ****ty consumer security suites. The firewall built into windows SP2 is decent and doesn't have these issues out of the box.

J

JRB

Ok - from the desktop that is 101, I can see all shared files in explore, and I can see the shared files on the notebook, 100 from the desktop. I can ping the notebook, but can't ping the desktop. I can't find another firewall to turn off. I am about to try static IPs, I guess.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I really don't see how loco could possibly put his shoes on in the morning...

Maybe they have velcro straps or something..???

J

JRB

Stupid thing. I can ping the wireless card on my notebook now, but can't ping either Ethernet cards connected to the router.

Hey Burly - did you get that spyware off of your PC???

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Stupid thing. I can ping the wireless card on my notebook now, but can't ping either Ethernet cards connected to the router.

Hey Burly - did you get that spyware off of your PC???
No. Im ate up with it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OK, Coach sent me in to help....

How many PC's total?

Which computer has the printer connected to it that you want to print to?

Do ALL the PC's have passwords set on them?

Are you running ANY firewall? (ZoneAlarm, Windows firewall, etc.)

Are all the PC's connected to a router? What brand and model please?

What operating systems are on the PC's? (Please don't let it be XP Home or Win ME!)

Answer these questions and we'll see where we need to go from there. There is no reason you should need to run a static IP for file and print sharing. Provided there's nothing weird we should be able to get you up and running pretty quick.

Worst case scenario I send you an HP Jet Direct print server (Don't worry, it's small) and we get you printing that way.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
OK, Coach sent me in to help....

How many PC's total?
2 - one wired desktop and one wireless notebook

Which computer has the printer connected to it that you want to print to?
The desktop

Do ALL the PC's have passwords set on them?
Neither have passwords

Are you running ANY firewall? (ZoneAlarm, Windows firewall, etc.)
Yes - I turned ZoneAlarm and the Win firewalls off though

Are all the PC's connected to a router? What brand and model please?
Yes - desktop to a port and notebook is wireless
It is a linksys wireless-B broadband router

What operating systems are on the PC's? (Please don't let it be XP Home or Win ME!)
XP Pro on the desktop and XP Media Center on the notebook

Answer these questions and we'll see where we need to go from there. There is no reason you should need to run a static IP for file and print sharing. Provided there's nothing weird we should be able to get you up and running pretty quick.

Worst case scenario I send you an HP Jet Direct print server (Don't worry, it's small) and we get you printing that way.
Answered in bold. I am embarrassed that I am missing something. I could, at one time set up 2000 advanced server and build a 5 machine network with a cisco, and could set up vpn. Now - I got nothing. F(cking sales job.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Answered in bold. I am embarrassed that I am missing something. I could, at one time set up 2000 advanced server and build a 5 machine network with a cisco, and could set up vpn. Now - I got nothing. F(cking sales job.
OK...

Get passwords on both computers. It can be "password" if you want. (Control Panel, User Accounts)

Do you know what your computers names are? Right click "My computer", click PROPERTIES, click the Computer Name (might be Network Identification) tab. Write down the computer name. (If the computer name is something long and wierd with spaces you might want to rename it to something simple. I give all mine girls names. There's "shawna", and "lana", and "rhonda", etc.)

Make sure all firewalls are off.

Reboot both PC's, logon with the new passwords you just set.

Make sure all firewalls are off.

Let's start by seeing if putting the passwords on helped and if the computers can see and talk to each other...

Go to the desktop PC. Click START then click RUN.

In the run box you will type \\computer name\c$ Where "computer name" is the name of the laptop. (We wrote it down earlier)

Press Enter or click OK... What happens? Did a window open up showing you the contents of the laptops C drive? Or did we get an error? If so what is the error? (Yes, exactly)

J

JRB

OK - I see the laptop and can ping it, but cannot see the desktop or ping it

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OK... we're going to run the network setup wizard...

Go to the Control Panel, go to Network Connections, launch the Network Setup Wizard.

Click NEXT till we get to the first screen that has option for us to choose. Should be three choices...
1 - Pc connects directly through internet. Other PC's connect through this PC.
2 - PC connects through another PC or residential gateway
3 - Other

We will choose OTHER.

Next screen should have three choices. Choose "Computer connects directly or through a network hub. Other computers do the same"

You'll get a warning, click NEXT

Next screen shows the computer name. If it is anything other than what we wrote down earlier, change it to what we wrote down. Click NEXT

Next screen shows the workgroup name. You can choose anything as long as all PC's belong to the same workgroup. I generally choose "workgroup" Click NEXT

The next screen will show you the settings that we are about to apply. You'll notice that it turned on the firewall. We'll turn this off again later. Click NEXT to apply the settings.

It will do it's thing and then reboot (or ask to be rebooted). If it asks you if you want to create a CD for other PC's tell it no. We'll run the wizard on the lappy next.

Reboot, logon, turn off the firewall. (Both PC's should still be password protected.)

Do the same on the laptop, make sure you choose the same workgroup, then test again.

EDIT: When you pinged the desktop what error did you get? Timed Out, or a No such host/unable to find host error?

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
<snip good stuff>

EDIT: When you pinged the desktop what error did you get? Timed Out, or a No such host/unable to find host error?
Timed out. I am running and will be back in like 3 minutes.

J

JRB

Still nothing. I just connected the cable to see if I can narrow it down to that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry, loco, family visiting so I'm not on my computer in the evening.

Did you walk through the steps I gave you in my post? Static IPs all around, disable any firewall on BOTH computers.

Here's another thing to try, now that you have passwords: make sure your usernames are the same. You can create a new username and password for test purposes if you want.

Wish I had the setup in front of me :think:

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Sorry, loco, family visiting so I'm not on my computer in the evening.

Did you walk through the steps I gave you in my post? Static IPs all around, disable any firewall on BOTH computers.

Here's another thing to try, now that you have passwords: make sure your usernames are the same. You can create a new username and password for test purposes if you want.

Wish I had the setup in front of me :think:
I don't have the same user set up on the two of them. I did set up static IPs, but I changed it back after it didn't work.

If all else fails, I will hook Ciaran up with something super sweet for the Jet Direct. Man - I just don't get why it won't work.

What machine would the settings be wrong on, if I can ping the notebook, but not the desktop? I can see the notebook's shares from the desktop, but not the converse of that.

edit - cool on the family in. I don't expect anyone to help me, so when you and Ciaran do, I am most appreciative. Thank you for all of your help so far.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
I don't have the same user set up on the two of them. I did set up static IPs, but I changed it back after it didn't work.
Stick with the static IPs while you're working on the problem, it elminiates one more variable. They don't hurt anything to be set as static.

What machine would the settings be wrong on, if I can ping the notebook, but not the desktop? I can see the notebook's shares from the desktop, but not the converse of that.
My guess is that things are screwed up on the desktop since the notebook is clearly registering on the network properly. But that's not guaranteed.

Try creating a new user on the desktop with the exact same logon and password as the notebook. But set the IPs as static first, there's no need to be relying on your router's DHCP server being correct while you're troubleshooting other things. That's the biggest part of troubleshooting - eliminating variables. Static IPs eliminate a variable. Having the same username and password on both machines eliminates a variable.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Stick with the static IPs while you're working on the problem, it elminiates one more variable. They don't hurt anything to be set as static.

My guess is that things are screwed up on the desktop since the notebook is clearly registering on the network properly. But that's not guaranteed.

Try creating a new user on the desktop with the exact same logon and password as the notebook. But set the IPs as static first, there's no need to be relying on your router's DHCP server being correct while you're troubleshooting other things. That's the biggest part of troubleshooting - eliminating variables. Static IPs eliminate a variable. Having the same username and password on both machines eliminates a variable.

If I can get find the older version of photoshop so I can use my upgrade, I wouldn't mind just reloading XP Pro. That may end up being the best thing, but I will set up a new admin user tonight and will set all IPs as static as well. If it works, I'll try to let them assign. I talked to Wumpus and he couldn't use names, but had to use IPs. I tried that as well. I was pretty convinced it was the desktop last night.

Again - thanks to both you, Ciaran, Wumpus and all others that have/are helping me.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
By the way, when you try to ping the machines, are you pinging by IP address or by machine name?
IP...I figure that using a name just gives DNS a chance to screw up. If it's a small network, I have always thought that IPs are better. Is that the correct assumption?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
IP...I figure that using a name just gives DNS a chance to screw up. If it's a small network, I have always thought that IPs are better. Is that the correct assumption?
Yes, that's a correct assumption.

Failure to ping is almost always a firewall problem. You're sure you shut off all firewall software? On both computers? Including Windows Firewall (in the network settings)?

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Yes, that's a correct assumption.

Failure to ping is almost always a firewall problem. You're sure you shut off all firewall software? On both computers? Including Windows Firewall (in the network settings)?
It shows to be off, but like I said yesterday, the views are different between XP Pro and XP media center. I have the XP Pro machine to look just like Win 2000. When I go to network properties, it shows the Windows Firewall off though.