Quantcast

Best way to print remotely from my new notebook...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Timed out. I am running and will be back in like 3 minutes.
Yo BV, if the ping from Laptop to desktop is timing out then the routers DNS and DHCP are working fine. The machine is just not responding. This is what's weird. The PC name and IP address are registered in DNS so that's working, and if it can get on the internet the DHCP is working. I think you are right that it is some sort of a firewall issue.

I would suggest us using a remote control software to connect and see Loco's PC but if he can't ping it from within his own network we likely won't be able to connect.

OH I just thought of something.

Loco, Open My Computer, click on TOOLS , click FOLDER OPTIONS, click the VIEW tab. Scroll down to the bottom of the checkable options and un-check Use Simple File Sharing. Then check your firewall again, reboot, test.

Loco, have you made any changes to the router? Or is it basically as it came from the factory?

Weird man... very weird. :think:

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
Yo BV, if the ping from Laptop to desktop is timing out then the routers DNS and DHCP are working fine. The machine is just not responding. This is what's weird. The PC name and IP address are registered in DNS so that's working, and if it can get on the internet the DHCP is working. I think you are right that it is some sort of a firewall issue.

I would suggest us using a remote control software to connect and see Loco's PC but if he can't ping it from within his own network we likely won't be able to connect.

OH I just thought of something.

Loco, Open My Computer, click on TOOLS , click FOLDER OPTIONS, click the VIEW tab. Scroll down to the bottom of the checkable options and un-check Use Simple File Sharing. Then check your firewall again, reboot, test.

Loco, have you made any changes to the router? Or is it basically as it came from the factory?

Weird man... very weird. :think:
I just changed the SSID on it. I'll try the sharing on the Folder Options this evening. I thought about getting someone to connect remotely. I used to have access to GoToAssist, but don't know if I can get it or not. It's web based, so it shouldn't care about firewalls and such. I agree that it's some sort of firewall problem, I just can't find where or what it may be.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
I just changed the SSID on it. I'll try the sharing on the Folder Options this evening. I thought about getting someone to connect remotely. I used to have access to GoToAssist, but don't know if I can get it or not. It's web based, so it shouldn't care about firewalls and such. I agree that it's some sort of firewall problem, I just can't find where or what it may be.
One of the things we can try is to remove any firewall application like Zone Alarm. We might also want to check your routers properties and see if there is a workgroup setting.

Also, have you tried mapping the drive using alternate credentials? Right click My Computer, click Map Network drive. Path is \\computer name\c$ (Don't forget the dollar sign). Somewhere there should be an option to use alternate credentials... user name should be "computer name\username" and the password is what ever the password is. (The computername part of the username is the computer you are trying to get to, the desktop) This tells the PC to connect to the remote computer using an account that is valid on the target PC.

J

JRB

I tried to map a path and that didn't work. I did get a prompt once to enter user id and password and it said "Guest/loco" for the id. It didn't work. I'll check settings on the router, but that shouldn't be it, since it will share one way. Maybe I will uninstall ZoneAlarm after dinner and see what that does.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
I tried to map a path and that didn't work. I did get a prompt once to enter user id and password and it said "Guest/loco" for the id. It didn't work. I'll check settings on the router, but that shouldn't be it, since it will share one way. Maybe I will uninstall ZoneAlarm after dinner and see what that does.
We're getting closer.

I will ponder.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
Sorry, loco, haven't been around to help you but it looks like my alternate has stepped in and has been helping :D

Do you consistantly get a user ID and password now when you connect? If we're that far then we can do it now. Just tell me if you're consistantly getting a user ID and a login prompt when you connect to your shares.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Sorry, loco, haven't been around to help you but it looks like my alternate has stepped in and has been helping :D

Do you consistantly get a user ID and password now when you connect? If we're that far then we can do it now. Just tell me if you're consistantly getting a user ID and a login prompt when you connect to your shares.
Nope - I only got that once. I realized today that I had some Cisco VPN software on my machine and I wonder if that is killing something. I am going to work on it tomorrow after I ditch zonealarm. I am having way too good of a day today to ruin it getting pissed off at a computer. I'll be back with more error messages tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the help though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No problem.

Turn off everything next time you start working on this. Everything. Kill every program running on both computers.

Let us know if you need more help. I understand your frustration, believe me. I'm not sure I've seen this problem resist so many troubleshooting steps :think:

J

JRB

With a USB cable. :mumble: I've been taking def driving, so no work on it for a few days. I think I'll reload some things this weekend.