Quantcast

Best way to rattlecan a fork?

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
I am doing a new build and just got my '08 Gold Label. I want to paint it black. I figured 600 grit paper would be the best for sanding. I have not rattle canned anything since my old S&M dirt bike frame, and I just used krylon. I am sure there are better paint options now, I heard you can actually get autobody "quality" paint in a spray can. Anybody have some tips on process or paint selection?

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I am doing a new build and just got my '08 Gold Label. I want to paint it black. I figured 600 grit paper would be the best for sanding. I have not rattle canned anything since my old S&M dirt bike frame, and I just used krylon. I am sure there are better paint options now, I heard you can actually get autobody "quality" paint in a spray can. Anybody have some tips on process or paint selection?
I would go for a high impact/high temp enamel from duplicolor.

And good call on repainting the new gold label, those things are hideous.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I am interested in painting my DJ 3 from black to white as well. My guess is that you just sand down the old paint, tape off the fork (like the statutes and stuff) then you put an enamal down, then you sand over the enamal with like 1400 grit then you put the fianl coat on.

I have heard just going to any autobody shop will carry high quality paint in a rattle can.

I have also heard that you can use strippers to take off the base coat, but I would just go with sanding it.

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
I painted a Marzocchi 4x Black the other day. Masking taped everything up, paint stripped the lowers, sanded everything down nice and smooth and then sprayed it with a few layers of a Gloss Black Paint/Primer in one.

It came out flawless...

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I painted a Marzocchi 4x Black the other day. Masking taped everything up, paint stripped the lowers, sanded everything down nice and smooth and then sprayed it with a few layers of a Gloss Black Paint/Primer in one.

It came out flawless...
Nice, what grit sand paper did you use?

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA

It came out flawless...
What was the company called? I didn't think there was a 2 in 1 paint/primer.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
lol whats the difference between primer, enamal, and clear coat?
Primer is your base coat, it smooths everything out and gets what you're painting one solid color, clear coat is a clear protective coating that goes on last. It hardens the paint and puts a nice shine on it if you get a glossy clear.

The best way is to seporate the lowers from the rest of the fork, sand down, add a few coats of primer, lightly sanding after each coat is dried, let it sit and dry for a day then hit it with some color, put on a few coats of color, let dry and clear coat.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
To add-on to this thread...

Can you powdercoat fork lowers or will the temps of the baking oven effect the fork lowers in any way?

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
It will totally bake any seals. Usually places that do that charge a minimum too, so it may be to expensive. I am no suspension expert, but maybe you could remove all the seals.

Thanks to everyone for there input.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
if you have decent shop around you cat get any custom color auto paint put in a spray can as well.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
if you have decent shop around you cat get any custom color auto paint put in a spray can as well.
I have done this. The custom color I picked out wound up running me about $15 a can. I painted my USB with it. The only beef I had with it is the paint didn't seem very durable. I think rattle can stuff like dupli color is the way to go - IMO.

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
#600 grit paper and WET sand it.
I lay 2 VERY light coats and wait until they are almost completely dry. Then hit it again with 2 heavy coats. Not so heavy that you get runs but VERY close to running or sagging. The heavier you lay it, the better the finish will be.
As long as the temp and humidity are low you can actually get great results with rattle can paint.
I did these bars and fork with Krylon. People have asked me where I got them powdercoated.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
^^^It came out really nice. But when you say that it wasn't durable, was that with a coat of primer and clear coat w/ sanding?
I used etching primer on bare metal which is what came recommended with the type/brand paint I used. I did not clear it b/c the guy I bought the paint from said it wasn't necessary and to do it right would require having it shot in a paint booth with enamel clear (if I remember correctly, it's been a while). Anyhoo, a good cure time helps a bunch. Let it set in a nice dry place for as long as possible after you paint, that seems to help most for me.

and cranfocker's eastern looks good :clapping: