Quantcast

best weight gain supplement?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i am looking to add some muscle mass so i was curious if any of you use supplements like whey protein or something and which one is the best for puttin in my smoothies?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dude,
Im not one who normally says 'go natural' about alot of things, but I think eating right and cutting yourself up is a hell of alot better than bulking up the way people do with that stuff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree with that (err, I mean, with Burly). Supplementing with a little protien or something is all well and good, but "muscle mass" is overrated. You want to add lean muscle, not bulk.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
binary visions said:
I agree with that (err, I mean, with Burly). Supplementing with a little protien or something is all well and good, but "muscle mass" is overrated. You want to add lean muscle, not bulk.
well thats the thing is i am already lean as hell and i eat all the time. i am looking to supplement my already improved diet to just add a little more mass. i mean iam skinny as it is and i just want a little more.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
well thats the thing is i am already lean as hell and i eat all the time. i am looking to supplement my already improved diet to just add a little more mass. i mean iam skinny as it is and i just want a little more.
It's fine if you want to do it for aesthetic reasons but like I said, from a standpoint of athleticism/strength, lean muscle is a lot more beneficial than "bulk" - most bulky, strong people could easily lose a bunch of weight without sacrificing strength.

Like I said, nothing wrong with wanting to look a certain way as long as you're understanding that it's basically just looks, your strength can go up a lot without adding a bunch of bulk. There is a lot of information around on Google about people who have trouble adding bulk and how to eat to gain mass.

I'm a skinny guy and was considering trying to bulk up for a while but thought about it and realized that I'd rather be strong, fit and lean and to hell with whether or not someone thinks my shoulders are broad enough or whatever.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
<snip>
I'm a skinny guy and was considering trying to bulk up for a while but thought about it and realized that I'd rather be strong, fit and lean and to hell with whether or not someone thinks my shoulders are broad enough or whatever.
DAVE: "and he's a pigeon-chested little tosser."

:rofl: :rofl:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
biggins said:
Why do you want more mass? To look better or because you want to be stronger? I can't believe a rock climber would want to add weight just look beefier.

I find that mass alone does not mean strength. I'm about 200 lbs and recently switched my gym routine from weights to more calistenthics like push-ups, pull-ups, and dips. I am losing bulk and a little weight, but I'm getting stronger and overall feel more fit. These are good things for a cyclist and probably for a climber too. And it is a more lasting fitness - I can take a few days off without feeling way behind.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
OGRipper said:
Why do you want more mass? To look better or because you want to be stronger? I can't believe a rock climber would want to add weight just look beefier.

I find that mass alone does not mean strength. I'm about 200 lbs and recently switched my gym routine from weights to more calistenthics like push-ups, pull-ups, and dips. I am losing bulk and a little weight, but I'm getting stronger and overall feel more fit. These are good things for a cyclist and probably for a climber too. And it is a more lasting fitness - I can take a few days off without feeling way behind.
as far as climbing goes bouldering is waaaay different than the ultra skinny sport climbers out there.

i am just tired of being really skinnny. I am not normally someone who worries about it but for one my right arm is a lot smaller than my left arm from breaking it a while back and it not being used for 7 months. I want little more bulk. i am not talking 200 pounds, right now i way about 158 at 5'10 and i am just tired of being the skinny guy. the weight i have is all muscle and i have the lean and strong thing down fine.i would like to get up to about 170.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
protein is your best bet.. sounds like you could ad 500+ calories a day.. get something like Myoplex or a Whey protein supplement. start with 1-2 a day and work out regularly,, you dont want to get thick, so lift weights. 3-4 sets of each in the 6-10 rep range. 10 lean lbs is gonna take you half a year or more to put on (if you havent really lifted much before). good excercises that add mass and are full core or compound exercises, bench press, squats, dead lifts, and military press. let me know if you have any other questions.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Sounds about right. I'm 6'1" and ~170.

Of course, someone once called me "emaciated" and I don't think that's a flattering description any way you look at it. :D

I eat like food's going out of style too.

Skinny guys unite! :p
yeah i pretty much eat all the damn time.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
fiddy_ryder said:
protein is your best bet.. sounds like you could ad 500+ calories a day.. get something like Myoplex or a Whey protein supplement. start with 1-2 a day and work out regularly,, you dont want to get thick, so lift weights. 3-4 sets of each in the 6-10 rep range. 10 lean lbs is gonna take you half a year or more to put on (if you havent really lifted much before). good excercises that add mass and are full core or compound exercises, bench press, squats, dead lifts, and military press. let me know if you have any other questions.
cool thats what i need to know.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
H8R said:
Hot naked chicks on your ****.
bwahahah you just made me spit the last little bit of beer in my entire house all over my shirt.

thank you.