Quantcast

Best WiFi Extender With Ethernet Port?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Wifey will be WFH, looking for the longest range/best signal extender with an Ethernet port. There are quite a few options, anyone have experience with these? We have a cheapie, but she only gets one bar.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I got an eero pro with a beacon for my apt. Plugged that shit in this weekend and it's been helpful. Super simple to set up. Can close doors now when multiple video/conference calls/Fortniting are all going at the same time. Upload/download strength is, uh, strong.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wifey will be WFH, looking for the longest range/best signal extender with an Ethernet port. There are quite a few options, anyone have experience with these? We have a cheapie, but she only gets one bar.
Run some cat6 to the other side of the house. Problem solved.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Run some cat6 to the other side of the house. Problem solved.
This is the way to go. Run a cable and connect it to a small switch or another wireless "router" on the other side (connect to lan port and turn off dhcp).

A wireless connection from your existing router to another and then connecting clients to that will divide the throughput by half..

You can get plenum rated cable and run it through your forced air ducting.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is the way to go. Run a cable and connect it to a small switch or another wireless "router" on the other side (connect to lan port and turn off dhcp).
Agreed.

In my abode:

Fiber -> ONT -> WAN port of a ASUS RT-AC68U running DHCP and broadcasting WiFi. Its LAN port is hooked up to my house's switch panel, with physical cable runs to most rooms.

In a few of those rooms, on the other end of those cable runs, are access point-only-configured RT-AC68Us and one lone Apple Airport Extreme, the latter with a HDD hooked up to it for household Mac backup purposes. These extra access points run Auto for channel selection and use the same SSIDs throughout.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004

A wireless connection from your existing router to another and then connecting clients to that will divide the throughput by half..

You can get plenum rated cable and run it through your forced air ducting.
Due to the layout of our house, this is complicated. However, the incoming cat 6 (from the street) goes right by the room in question, so I am probably installing a T connector, drilling a hole, and calling it good. Just have to figure out a ’clean’, professional looking solution for where it enters the house. We will still need another modem, though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
T connector? This isn't plumbing, my man.

Put a router +/- wireless at the entry point to the house. Hook a switch up to said router. Run cable from said switch to where you want it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
No way to run cable in the house, period. way too far away, that’s not the way to go.
gotta do a t-junction from the incoming cat 6 cable. The existing (exterior) cat six is only two feet from where we want the new modem to go, so it’s kind of a no brainer.
I have all of the tools.
The new modem is free from spectrum.
i think I got this, easy peasy.
but thanks.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So you want to splice into the cable coming from the street? Marked by x below..

street<-----x------>modem in house

You're going to need a switch where X is, you can't just split the line like a coax cable. And if that is "infront" of your modem provided by the ISP, they'll most likely block you if you do that...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I my apartment in Brooklyn I ran wired through the power cables and it worked really good. Have you given that a try? With that option you can get a wifi unit at the other end and/or ethernet. I actually have the whole setup you can have it come pick it up here in Copenhagen. I presume you need it now?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I suspect he doesn't actually have CAT6 coming in from the street - probably coax. So t- should be feasible.
Yeah but then two modems and him getting two IPs assigned by the network operator? I am dubious.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I suspect he doesn't actually have CAT6 coming in from the street - probably coax. So t- should be feasible.
Yes, coax, I brain farted.
i called Spectrum, and they said go for it...but I don’t actually know if the chick I talked to knew what I was asking. They are sending me a free modem, though, so I might as well try. Hey, I can have some forum alii if it works without having to go to the library!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah but then two modems and him getting two IPs assigned by the network operator? I am dubious.
Naw - you just put the cable modem/wifi router in that room with the wifee. She plugs into the ethernet there and everyone else hooks up wireless...

ETA: whoops - apparently I should read the rest of the thread before responding. :disgust:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah if its coax coming in, split it to your hearts content* and plug in your new modem box.

As @Toshi mentioned, doing it this way you'll end up having two public IP's assigned to your one account*. If they monitor for that and act on it...who knows.

As they say.............try it now! :busted:

*though if this works, everything will be on two different subnets and if you have shared media devices or anything needs to talk to each other......that portion of the equation will 99% won't work out of the box.