Quantcast

Best work stand for the money for DH bikes?

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Tried a search, no luck.

Back can't take the strain anymore, need a work stand, one that grabs the bike by the seatpost. Any recommendations? How is the "Ultimate" stand they sell at REI? Park stands?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have a Ultimate stand (the black one) and it holds my M1 or my Cortina with NO problems at all. Very sturdy, folds up, and is idiot stupid to use.

The park one's seemed cheap unless you get there higher end stands, then they seem to be OK. In a Mountian bike action a few months ago they had a stand shoot-out. Good deals to be found on Ebay for these as well.

Zark has a wrench force stand and it holds great too. I think the Ultimate is a little more stable due to the legs but either type or style will work wonders. Makes you want to work on your bike.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
i have a pedros and it would probaby work great for 16lbs roadies.

for big bikes, SUCKS!!!

FS: Awsome Pedros work stand- near new free shipping- make offer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have a minoura "workstand pro" and it is visibly more solid in construction than that ultimate. it was only $110 or so, too, iirc.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don't think this is of any use to anyone - in fact I'm amazed I found a pic of it:

Blackburn workstand: (god bless google image search :))

That's what I have, cost me £130 8 years ago!! Quite possibly the oldest of all my worldly possessions :)

Mallet

Chimp
Originally posted by 1000-Oaks
This is the one I'm looking at, the Ultimate Pro:
(20% off coupon at REI this weekend for members)

The Ultimate Pro is the best race stand on the market. I've had one for 3 years now and it still performs like its brand new. It holds my M1 just fine, and it's extremly portable making it possible to bring to bring to the races. It even fits in my race bag so I am able to bring in on the airplane as well!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've got that Ano Red Ultimate stand. Had it for 3...almost 4 years now...still kicks ass.

Though I've never figured out what that sliding plastic thingee that's resting on the quick release in the middle is for.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Get the ultimate.

I've got the same red model off REI. Works wicked pissa !

Get the tool tray/box for it (nice to have).

3yrs w/o a problem.

Mallet

Chimp
Originally posted by Dog Welder
I've got that Ano Red Ultimate stand. Had it for 3...almost 4 years now...still kicks ass.

Though I've never figured out what that sliding plastic thingee that's resting on the quick release in the middle is for.
Thats what holds the toolbox. It came free when I bought my stand 3 yrs ago.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by Acadian
Whatever you get, don't get the Park foldable stand. Worked great when I only had XC bikes, but as soon as I started using it for DH bikes, the legs started bending..
REally? Mine's ok. But I guess since I never work on my bikes, it's not an issue.......

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
ive got the red ultimate pro stand. havent had it for really long. only like 3 months probly. but its been great and how small it folds up is sweet. so easy to take with you whereever you go. id def get it again

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I have had a Park PCS-4 for couple of years now and it has been holding up great. While I haven't had any true heavyweights on it, I have had 40-43 pounders on it with no problems.

The legs also fold together so the stand doesn't take up quite some much space.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I have a Park PCS-9.

It's one of the cheaper Park stands and it's actually taller than most of their stands...except for their highest end one. The clamp is nice although to tighten it is a bit of pain which explains it's 'inexpensiveness'. People have had issues with bikes falling over because of the crappy lower clamp (where the two legs meet the base). I just used a hose clamp from a hardware store and I haven't had an issue with it at all!!! If it can hold up a Nucleon, it can hold your bike!

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ultimate Pro.

Great stand. Look no further. Very stable, holds a big DH bike no problem, and you can get some nice add ons for it. Plus, it's pretty :D

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Picked up an Ultimate Pro this weekend from Superho, tried it tonight and it works bitchin' with my 44 lb Fly. It was black when it came out of the box though, guess it comes in two colors. Oh well, black is cool too.