Quantcast

Best xc weight glove

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
By XC weight, I mean without any "armor" crap on the back of the hand/fingers. The Troy-Lee XC used to be my standard, but my last 2 pairs have been garbage. One seperated at the seam after 2 rides, the other was too small. Seems they switched manufactures and the "large" got a bit smaller. Now I'm between sizes.

My criteria are:
Little or no palm padding
Nothing on the back.
Side closure (like the xc)
No seam at the tip of the finger - this sounds trivial but some gloves have 4 pieces of material the join at the seem. It makes for a nasty lump that drives my bonkers.

Bought a pair of Sombrios last week that lasted 2 rides until the palm tore.

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
you described my problem exactly. i live in the desert. i need the lightest possible glove. i used to use fox inclines 'til they removed the "light palm padding". if you don't blister then it's still a good quality glove and relatively cheap. i went to troy lee xc after that.

but recently i too found my last 2 pairs of troy xc in pieces after a few rides, and like you found i am now between the 10 and 11.

this glove: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/2/16285/ITEM/MSR-Racing-Axxis-Gloves.aspx

turned out to be ok. and the msr line held up well to 1000s of miles. i also loathe all the "designs" too. msr makes some that are low key, if still to tacky for me.

please let me know if you solved the problem better than i.

stay away form the thor line, they fall apart too. the http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com has some good deals too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Specialized has some very nice extremely simple gloves. They have a seam at the tip but it is so small I can't notice. They are the kind of gloves that are very form fitting and can be worn even when dexterity is required. I only wished they had a terry cloth snot strip.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The Nema Breather is really nice.

I bought a pair in L instead of my usual XL to see if they would work, but they're too small. If you are interested, shoot me a PM; they've been sitting in the garage for a while and I'll let them go for pretty cheap.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You've got the wrong glove from the right brand. Check out the Air glove. Stupid cheap (24$), durable, and meet your requirements of no palm padding and minimalistic design. I personally dont care for the fit of the xc glove, and they seemed to have stitching issues that the Air never had.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
handyman gloves from home depot
dont laugh, i got some for working on cars/bikes/whatnot and ended up wearing em on a couple rides when they were in better shape than my foxes with crazy knuckle gaurds which ripped a few seams very quickly. very similar to mechanix at about half the price. seems to be pretty much the same materials. so far they have held up awesome in all kinds of abuse, all seams together. i think they were like 10 bucks.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
The breather glove is our Lightweight XC style glove with a slip on style, single layer palm, and we have had great success with durability..A few WC guys have been running them the last 2 seasons without issue, and Jared just won the world's in them! RM members get 15% off too.

The Nema Breather is really nice.

I bought a pair in L instead of my usual XL to see if they would work, but they're too small. If you are interested, shoot me a PM; they've been sitting in the garage for a while and I'll let them go for pretty cheap.
If you want to exchange those unworn L's for XL's shoot me a PM or email, and i'll be happy to swap them out for you.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Thanks guys.
Both the Royal and the Nema look they are worth a try. I wasn't overly impressed with my 661 so I always assumed the Royals where the same.
I'm done with TLD for awhile. As far as I'm concerned, they owe me $50 for 2 pairs of worthless gloves.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Did you take a look at the 661 Raji too? Superlight and thin and pretty good durability for a glove that minimal.
Lately I am really impressed with the Nema Grasp glove. They fit me like a glove (pun intended :D). Not super thin but really great fit, slip on style. The only problem I had was that one seam on the thumb separated after the first week of use. Seemed to be just a bad seam though, because the other side is fine. :confused: I glued it and it kinda works.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I've been using the 661 Rajis for well over a year now...great in warmer conditions. Just picked up a pair of Fox Digits and like those as well. A little more than minimal, but not too much more.

If you REALLY want something minimal, try a pair of the Sam Blenkinsop signature gloves!;)

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
not sure what you mean about the stitching, but I always liked troy lee XCs for all the other reasons you state.. but bought a pair of the cheaper TLD Ace gloves and they are actually better (more durable too so far) they're ugly as sin in anything other than black tho.

don't know what consumer law is like in the US, but here in the UK you'd be entitled to a full refund on the 2 pairs of XCs that fell apart.

also, have you considered riding gloveless?

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Troy Lee Airs. I like their lack of velcro fastener, they just pull on with no faffing.

And Gary's wrong, white is the correct choice :D

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
edited my post, meant "Ace", not "Air".. :oops:

and white riding kit is only any good for riding round puddles or if you live with your mum :P

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I've been using the 661 Rajis for well over a year now...great in warmer conditions. Just picked up a pair of Fox Digits and like those as well. A little more than minimal, but not too much more.

If you REALLY want something minimal, try a pair of the Sam Blenkinsop signature gloves!;)
Funny thing with virtually all the kiwis overseas racing running gloveless, is that they have to wear gloves when they race back home