Bestbuy employees, I need some info...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ParanoidAndroid, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ParanoidAndroid

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Hey guys, Ive got a friend who works at Bestbuy and owes my buddy a favor. My buddy is trying to get more into photography and is looking into buying a DSLR. This is where our friend who works at Bestbuy comes into play. He recently told my buddy that he would look into getting him a camera for a discount. However this guy is know to be somewhat of a liar, and my buddy isn't sure that hell quote him a fair price. So anyways i'm just wondering if anyone who works/worked there knows what kinds of discounts are offered to employees on DSLR cameras (Hes looking at the Sony A100 if its of any help)

Thanks for any input.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. skinny mike

skinny mike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    it's bad juju discussing employee discounts over the internets.

3. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    discounts on DSLRs is likely going to be very little. g/f's bro works at Best Buy. i've also been given the impression from him that Best Buy is pretty strict when it comes to purchasing items for others.

4. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 0
    Why are you looking at Sony? Closet full of Minolta lenses?

5. ParanoidAndroid

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Skinny mike: Yeah, thats kinda the response I thought i'd get, but I figured I would go out on a limb and see.

Silver: Its not for me, its for a good friend of mine. I'm not sure what drew him to Sony.

6. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 0
    I'd direct him toward Canon or Nikon. Unless you've got Minolta glass, going Sony is an odd move, to say the least...

7. blue

blue boob hater

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    sony=fail

best buy=bigger fail

8. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    The only thing Best Buy has going for it is the extended warranty on DSLRs.

I can drop kick the D40 we bought within three years of the purchase and they will replace it, no questions asked.

9. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Best buy's employee price is probably still more than BH's regular price.

10. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Find out what the top end of his budget is and we'll go from there.

What does he want to shoot?

11. Potroast88

Potroast88 YouTube Boy

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Best Buy employees are not allowed to purchase items at a discount for friends. If they get caught, they get fired.

12. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    78 / 768
    That's the one thing I love about Best Buy. I'm sure they've lost money on me. I've gotten somthing like 5 CD players and an iPod from them as replacements, plus some CDs, headphones, etc, when the price of somthing dropped, and I had some extra store credit. :monkeydance:

13. dante

dante Unabomber

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 8
    find out what price your friend can get it for your buddy (or is that reversed?), and then compare pricing to www.bhphotovideo.com and www.buydig.com.

most likely it would be cheaper and easier just to buy it online...

14. roamingoregon

roamingoregon Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    little secret here. Best Buy price matches. Just find what you want- then print out the sheet from BH or wherever (legit retailer with in stock product) go into Best Buy and ask them to match. If it's a legit retailer and in stock then they will give it to you. It might take a few for the manager to call- but you'll get it, and you still have the option of the extended rip-off.. I mean extended warranty plan.

I've gotten many things from them using this method.

15. muddy beast

muddy beast Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    My brother works at best buy...

I seem to remember the discount not being worth it...so I bought from Adorama.com instead. (When I was looking for a lens and flash, along with batteries and stuff)

16. geargrrl

geargrrl Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 1
    yep - discounts are a privilige, not a right.

17. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 0
    Think of it as one of those times losing your job is actually beneficial to your career...

18. NocturnalBear

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hey all im the guy paranoidandroid was posting for (forgot my password) To answer all the questions my price range is around 600 and my first choice is Nikon d40x which is sold out almost everywhere and hence why I'm looking at sony. I've had bb do pricematch from other stores but do they actually pricematch online stores? Thanks for the help.

19. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    The sony uses Minolta lenses. You won't have as good a selection as you will with Nikon or Canon (will be harder to find specialty lenses etc). The d40 has no AF motor in it, and as such will only use Nikon lenses with their own AF motor, keep this in mind.

20. bluebug32

bluebug32 Asshat

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I'm sure the Geek Squad is carefully monitoring this thread ;)

21. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Get the D40. The megapixel count on the D40x is the only advantage, and in most prints you'll never see the difference.

Nikon put out the D40x in response to consumer demand for more megapixels to compete with Canon's Rebel XTi on the showroom floor but after the initial sales no one was buying them. The D40 is much cheaper and performance wise it's 95% of the D40x, with some advantages even.

From dpreview.com:
    One advantage the D40 has is faster flash sync speed - 1/500. You will appreciate this if you are doing flash photography of action or you want to experiment with shutting out ambient light with a nrrow aperture and using fill flash techniques.

Other than what is listed above the cameras are identical - same menu system, same metering, same AF, etc.

Unless you are making print bigger than 13x19 or cropping half the pic out in editing you will never notice a difference.

This is one reason they are already going to phase the D40x out later this year, it did not have a big enough advantage in features to justify the price.

22. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Still 1,000% better than the Sony Alpha for a beginner.

Any Nikkor lens made since 1959 will work on the D40, but only the latest AF-S lenses will auto focus.

Which is not so bad, considering there is a bazzillion excellent Nikkor lenses out there.

It's the trade off for the price.

More info:
    http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html