Quantcast

Bet u didn't know...

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes.When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. That's where the phrase, "good night, sleep tight " came from !

The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your
thumb.

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the "honeymoon."

In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King & the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.U.C.K. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now you know where that came from.

:D :D :D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
The Jinx said:
In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes.When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. That's where the phrase, "good night, sleep tight " came from !

The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your
thumb.

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the "honeymoon."

In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King & the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.U.C.K. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now you know where that came from.

:D :D :D
they wierd part is, i knew about F.U.C.K.

you have too much time

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
The Jinx said:
thumb.
Can’t do much damage with that then can we? Perhaps it shoulda’ been the rule of wrist.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jacksonpt said:
I've heard the rule of thumb thing before, and I think the F.U.C.K. thing is inaccurate... kind of urban legend stuff. Read this... http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-f-word.htm
Yeah, it's definitly an urban legend. For some reason the company's firewall is blocking that website but if I remember correctly one of the varients was "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" when people... cheated on their spouses, I think? Supposedly they were put in the stocks and that sign was hung over them.

Just another varient on the legend. The word was never an acronym.

I do enjoy the "Many uses of the word F*ck" that was floating around as an email forward for a long time.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
Yeah, it's definitly an urban legend. For some reason the company's firewall is blocking that website but if I remember correctly one of the varients was "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" when people... cheated on their spouses, I think? Supposedly they were put in the stocks and that sign was hung over them.

Just another varient on the legend. The word was never an acronym.
You are correct. The other popular variants do have to do with "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"... usually either prostitution or cheating on spouses. The word appears to have come from old Dutch or German... but because it was so taboo at the time, early history of the word is fuzzy at best. Looks to be around the 15th century though.