Quantcast

Better to buy wheelsets already built or...

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
This is an update to my previous request, where I needed suggestions on some DJ / FR wheels. After checking out the website, Universalcycles.com, I noticed they had many rims to choose from (even 24"), however, the rims alone cost over $50, hubs...another $100 (pair), and 32/36 spokes, not to mention labor costs to have them laced and trued.

I might just buy the Mavic x729 or x800s w_XT hubs for less.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Check out ride-this.com they've got a great selection of hubs, rims and spokes. Having them built is usually going to be more expensive but you're getting exactly what you want.

Mikey_C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2007
a handbuilt wheelset aint cheap. hubs, rims, spokes, nips, it adds up not to mention labor. Building a wheel requires more skill and time than anything in bike mechanics. A hand build wheelset is nice but the best bang for your $$ is gonna be a pre built set. Hnads down the best fr/dh wheelset for the $$ are azonic outlaws...if sure a quick search will answer all your ??

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Leon it all depends how much you want to spend. But like was said the Azonic Outlaws are killer wheels you can get them for $220 if you shop ebay. These wheels are one of the best bang for your buck wheels in my opinion, I have them all year from my DH bike to now my AM bike super strong and there really not that heavy. Custom built well cost a bit more. I built a DH bike so I needed a new wheelset and after having the Outlaws for a while I wanted something different. I went with Ride-This but that was when a guy named Victor worked there cool guy took care of people to give you an idea I got AtomLab Pimp rims 36H, Hope Pro 2 Hubs 20mm and 12mm thru axle, Strait Spokes & brass nipples + Labor = $500 if you go with a Mavic 729 or 823 etc $550 - 600 depending on hubs. I am not a big fan of XT hubs there 08 Sh*t might be worth it I have no experience with it but the old XT hubs I never liked had 2 wheelsets with them and blew up th hubs quick... But if you want to spend like $250 go with the Azonic Outlaws they are killer I will keep them forever..

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
I agree it's a matter of cost, but you can put together a serious set of wheels for not too much more than a factory wheel set. Plus then you can match colors....for those of us that are that vain. :imstupid:

Also if you look for some used stuff, you can get some killer hubs at a good price and end up with a wheelset that is teh awesomes for just a little more that a mediocre factory set.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Almost everybody will tell you that having them built is the way to go but it's almost always the more expensive route. My experience so far is that already made wheels are as good as hand built.

The downside is that you have no input on parts but on contrary hand builds have every piece of the wheel selected by you and if you care about color coordination hand built is the way to go.

Some on-line places will built "custom" wheels, Mean Todd from Webcyclery comes to mind.

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
I saw someone mention building with used hubs, while I'm not the expert on matters, I've heard hubs need to be laced with the same pattern to avoid causing stress cracks. Just thought I'd throw that out there cuz if it's true, it probably applies more to DJ/FR than anyone else.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
I saw someone mention building with used hubs, while I'm not the expert on matters, I've heard hubs need to be laced with the same pattern to avoid causing stress cracks. Just thought I'd throw that out there cuz if it's true, it probably applies more to DJ/FR than anyone else.
Agree, I did that and the builder told me that same thing.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
Transition and Azonic wheelsets are very inexpensive versus the performance that they give. If you are considering a 26" wheel and sub $300 US for the wheelset sounds good, give em a look.