Quantcast

Bettering ones self....

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
Just a curiosity. Everyone knows (or perhaps even is) the person who knows everything about everything.... "If I were you...." or "what you ought to do...." The person that will argue that the straight 6 is more torquey than the 302 AND the 460....

What I want to know is can one acquire all of this knowledge; the best way to tune up a two stroke engine to international politics to knowing everyone else's professions/ trades better than the person doing the work, simply by reading or would one have to live to a ripe old age of, say, 600 years to be able to experience first hand all of this knowledge?

OR, would it be safe to say that these people might (and I say 'might' as I don't want to sound accusatory...) be full of $hyt?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think the question is... "how valuable is actual experience versus theoretical"?

I'd say it depends on the subject matter, sometimes one is more valuable than the other, sometimes you can't get any understanding without both.

But just cuz one route to understanding might be better doesn't mean the other is worthless.

Was that where you were going with this thread?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Some are full of sh1t. Some are great listeners who have learned a myriad of sh1t along the way. Others are great critical thinkers.

To sum up your question, I know everything. Consider me the Chuck Norris of RM.

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
I think the question is... "how valuable is actual experience versus theoretical"?

I'd say it depends on the subject matter, sometimes one is more valuable than the other, sometimes you can't get any understanding without both.

But just cuz one route to understanding might be better doesn't mean the other is worthless.

Was that where you were going with this thread?
LO, you are putting WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much thought into this.
I just spent the last half day helping a friend at his shop. The mechanic there did nothing but chain smoke and offer a 'better way' to do everything we were working on.... He even enlightened us on a myriad of governmental conspiracies.... I had forgotten how much of an ass I think this guy is until today.

I'm amazed at the extent of this guy's expertise...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You already know everything, you just haven't experienced it in the "real" world yet.

Why do you think a person with multiple personalities have talents they never learned? (like playing the piano, speaking another language, ability to draw, or even write with the other hand)

Jan 3, 2008
Canada
Haha, that is totally me...

But I usually talk most about marketing, advertising, business, and other crap like that.

I race a bike, but I don't really know much about it :)