Quantcast

Beuller? Cannondale six inch bike

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, I do. I quizzed Frank about it. I am hoping to see something (minus the goofy bottle cage) in the late spring.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Does it look like the part of the shock is mounted on the swingarm to anyone? Would that make it super progressive as it gets pushed closer to the knucklebox looking part as the suspension cycles up?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
There does look to be another pivot, plus the lower pivot looks almost like a low forward. looks good xc wise, but big hit worthy??

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yes. Also looks like you didn't read the huge text next to the pics! :busted:
Yeah, I still don't get the whole "distribute shock forces" thing? Seems like it would be putting more stress on the shock by increasing the leverage ratio the deeper into the travel you get.

XGrantX

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
not forces on the shock. blunt forces as in landing a jump. Instead of all the force being directed into the toptube like the prophet and canondale having to have thicker wall tubing to handle this. the forces are first redirected by the linkages down to lower parts of the bike where it makes more sense to have thicker walled tubes. keeping cog lower.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
ooooooooooooohhhhhh :lighten:

That explains a lot. I was trying to figure out how that crazy linkage made the bike lighter than the standard cannondale single pivot design. Neato.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I cant wait to see how it rides, looks like a fairly complicated Linkage setup. I understand the idea of having a floating shock on a bike, lightening up the overall weight, not having to reinforce everything but just what is needed. I want to ride one and compare it to the new trek EX suspension, wich is also a full floating shock design, but uses a much simpler linkage.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Uh, yeah, the Rise is going to be "The Deer"-simple, elegant, flowing up and down the hill with the greatest of ease. The Moto is going to be "The Ram"-Sure Footed, Burly, Able and skilled at all mountain terrain. I love Cannondale. They're, the bayst! I seriously can't wait for these rigs to come out. I am sick of wack, trendy technology that really offers no benefit to the rider. Cannondale is the goods. We should see stuff in the magazines really soon.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Uh, yeah, the Rise is going to be "The Deer"-simple, elegant, flowing up and down the hill with the greatest of ease. The Moto is going to be "The Ram"-Sure Footed, Burly, Able and skilled at all mountain terrain. I love Cannondale. They're, the bayst! I seriously can't wait for these rigs to come out. I am sick of wack, trendy technology that really offers no benefit to the rider. Cannondale is the goods. We should see stuff in the magazines really soon.
Wack, tendy technology - now you just sound like an angry old man :)

bEavoLa

Chimp
Sep 15, 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
**** - sorry guys, i forgot to bring the Cannondale brochure home tonight...hopefully my brain will be working tomorrow!

Anywho, the Moto looks a bit "Socom"-ish, but with the Moose-knuckle deal which - when it was explained to me - means that the shock gets compressed from BOTH ends rather than just one, as it is suspended in a linkage system...weird

As for the Rize? well, that's just a 130mm 'long-travel Scalpel' with a proper linkage at the back (which the Scalpel should have had ANYWAYS!!!)

I'm not impressed. Bike companies nowadays are just in a pissing match to see who can come up with the most gimmicks to sell a bike. Remember the 'single pivot'? Well - there's a UK bike company (some of you guys probably know it) called Orange. Their DH race bike (the 222, then 223 and now 224) uses a single pivot, VERY simple design. Steve Peat (long time Orange user) rode that SIMPLE, SIMPLE frame to numerous World Cup victories...since joing the SantaCruz Syndicate and riding a V-10 he's won nothing of note (if anything at all).

I currently ride a Giant AC. My next bike WILL be a single pivot design - an Orange Patriot if I can get one.

Gimmicks may look good, but you can't mess with a great design.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Steve Peat (long time Orange user) rode that SIMPLE, SIMPLE frame to numerous World Cup victories...since joing the SantaCruz Syndicate and riding a V-10 he's won nothing of note (if anything at all).
I guess World Cup Series Champion (2006) is nothing of note. :disgust:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
**** - sorry guys, i forgot to bring the Cannondale brochure home tonight...hopefully my brain will be working tomorrow!

Anywho, the Moto looks a bit "Socom"-ish, but with the Moose-knuckle deal which - when it was explained to me - means that the shock gets compressed from BOTH ends rather than just one, as it is suspended in a linkage system...weird

As for the Rize? well, that's just a 130mm 'long-travel Scalpel' with a proper linkage at the back (which the Scalpel should have had ANYWAYS!!!)

I'm not impressed. Bike companies nowadays are just in a pissing match to see who can come up with the most gimmicks to sell a bike. Remember the 'single pivot'? Well - there's a UK bike company (some of you guys probably know it) called Orange. Their DH race bike (the 222, then 223 and now 224) uses a single pivot, VERY simple design. Steve Peat (long time Orange user) rode that SIMPLE, SIMPLE frame to numerous World Cup victories...since joing the SantaCruz Syndicate and riding a V-10 he's won nothing of note (if anything at all).

I currently ride a Giant AC. My next bike WILL be a single pivot design - an Orange Patriot if I can get one.

Gimmicks may look good, but you can't mess with a great design.
Here's Joe, the head engineer at Santa Cruz, opinion about single pivots vs VPP:

http://www.santacruzbikes.com/news/index.php?JoesCorner=1

bEavoLa

Chimp
Sep 15, 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
apologies for not taking note of his 2006 win; I was kinda busy during 2006 as I was moving from the UK to Oklahoma and didn't really keep up with the championship series'...

noooo - not talking **** about Steve Peat at all! I think he was THE best thing to come out of the UK rider scene in years - still do - but it seems that the V10 just doesn't suit him as well as the uber-simple 224. There was talk about him actually riding a Bullit once news broke about him making the move to the SantaCruz Syndicate, as it was closer to a 224 than anything else SantaCruz had.

Peaty is a legend in DH - always will be. Bloody nice bloke to meet too - if you get the chance.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
not much different after all (and why all carbon ?) :
moto 1 ,2 ,3 and ultimate - (credit to - forum.mountainbike.nl ,news, cannondale 2008 thread ,you can also see the rize there)

Jan 18, 2006
Wow that is pretty ugly, not what I was expecting, I liked the one in the photo of the proto from Whistler. This is just bad.