N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Those pix of yourself will be FOUND!
:p

Skeletons on your hard drive
CNet.News.com | 4/20/2005 | Matt Hines

Tax records, resumes, photo albums--the modern hard drive can keep increasingly larger volumes of information at the ready. But that can turn into a problem when it comes to effectively erasing the devices.

There are a number of options for cleansing the drives of unwanted computers, from special wiping software to destruction services to manufacturers' recycling programs. But what many PC owners don't realize, experts say, is that these methods are often not enough.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.com.com ...

splat

Nam I am
N8 said:
Was it good?

I knew that would get your attention!!! and No not really , she went through a lot of boy's Becasue She didn't believe on Kissing on the First OR 2nd date ! and planned to stay a virgin till she got married. and would go into long boring a tirades about how all boys are teh same ! :blah:

the architecual firms books were a lot more interesting !

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
A friend of mine works at a small software company... they make cool utilities. One is the Drive Scrubber. It cleans a drive, and actually erases old data. It's made to ba a solution the the issue of old drives having old data that you can't get rid of. http://iolo.com/ds/index.cfm

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
I just got a bunch of old computer stuff for the racecar team, from an alumnus who worked for Intel a while ago. One of the HD's was labeled "Intel", so I booted it up. Windows NT server, "Administrator" account had no password! Not much interesting on it, but I thought that was pretty funny...

Anybody have any Rambus memory they don't need? That stuff's expensive on eBay, and I've got 3 dual-processor motherboards in need of some.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Reformatting just overwrites the partition markers so the OS doesn't see the files. But the files are still there, you just need a program that will look for files without partition markers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
If you're gonna throw the drive out, I suggest dismantling the drive and having a little fun with a ball-peen hammer. :D

-S.S.-
:stupid:

Much more fun!

I was in charge of emptying out a storage room full of old 386s at a place I worked. They wanted the drives wiped out. So I brought in this magnet my dad bought me as a kid for a science project - it's one of those big ones with a handle that holds 250+ lbs. - and wiped all the drives that way :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
stinkyboy said:
Low level format. Zero all data.
even after 0ing with multiple passes data can still be read by those with proper equipment :eek: . of course, most of us don't have anything that would justify the nsa or other snoop agency to spend thousands of dollars checking the spins of bits...