Quantcast

beyond bikes ripped me off

beedlo

Chimp
Mar 21, 2008
I have had similar experiences. I have ordered things from Beyond Bikes in the past and its long wait times with no apparent explanation. They are good at charging your account right away however. They keep saying they will ship it today....

If only I had come across this thread first, I would not have purchased anything from them. Now I just hope the stuff I ordered a month ago will arrive.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Isn't it illegal in the USA for mailorder houses to charge you for a non special order item before it ships? It is against visa and mastercard merchant agreements, that I am sure of.

edit: info here: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/mailorder.shtm

They have 30 days to ship an item under US law. Visa merchant agreement says you cannot charge before shipment, and mastercard agreement says no more than 48 hours before shipment.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
Zack has been a great person to deal with and have used beyond bikes allot and never had a bad experience,I have talked to Kerry though and he has his days,Zack is the best person to do any deals on, in my opinion

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I ordered ONCE from Beyond A$$holes. In my order confirming e-mail, 4 days later, it stated that it would be 11 days before my order was processed. My order arrived, without any shipping confirmation e-mails, 6 weeks later. I have since vowed never to even browse their website ever again.

rgnkjn

Chimp
Apr 17, 2007
lmao...just stumbled accross this chain of posts.

I was burned by Carey 6+ years ago when he drove 800-BIKE-PRO into the ground.

At the time, Beyondbikes took in Carey and what was left of the 800-BIKE-PRO business, but apparently old habits die hard.

Good luck to those who continue to deal with beyond bikes. Hopefully you have the patience to deal with the excessive amount of time it takes to contest credit card charges.
cheers.

soulrider77

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
RSM
I recently ordered parts . Its been about 2 weeks and nothing. But they sure charged my credit card fast. LAME !!!!! they are the worst. stick with Jenson.

mootsfox

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Carey does not work at Beyond Bikes anymore. He left to bring another shop down. I say Beyond is safe now.
I registered just to share my Beyond Bikes order with the world...

I ordered on July 3rd, everything was in stock on their site, I thought I got a pretty good price, and I paid by paypal.

A week goes by, I get a "short order delay 3-5 days". I shrug it off, whatever, the stuff was cheap. After another week I make my first phone call. Ask them what in the hell they are doing. They say that the Intense tube I ordered was backordered until the end of AUGUST. I told the guy to cancel the order and refund my money. He said ok and then I asked how long till I would see the funds.

Well, I've been working a lot this past week, on my car, at work (on bikes), on the house. So I go and check my paypal balance... $7.21. WTF, where is my money? So I check on BeyondBikes extremely slow website to find out the jackass refunded the tube, but keep the order in. He never cancelled it. So my order is still floating around BB somewhere and I still don't have any of my $150 order refunded.

Next step (Monday) is to call, request that they refund my money NOW (paypal is instant) or I'm opening a paypal dispute. Other than that I don't know what to do, I wish I paid with a credit card now.

So,

NEVER BUY FROM BEYOND BIKES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I registered just to share my Beyond Bikes order with the world...

I ordered on July 3rd, everything was in stock on their site, I thought I got a pretty good price, and I paid by paypal.....
Welcome to ridemonkey.
[scarcasm]
Thanks for registering just to bash a company that you're still in the process of resolving a problem with.
[/scarcasm]

Simply put, when it comes to web order sites, it's always "safer" to speak to a representative over the phone (if it's even possible, as some sites are web only). Always a good idea to pay with a credit card, not a debit card.

I have never had a problem with BB. Something thing you need to consider is that the availabilites/quantites listed on their website are not live and are only updated once a day... probably late at night or early in the morning. I check the website, write down the item numbers I want and their corresponding prices, and then call it in. Their warehouse is literally 50ft from their call center and, if you ask, the phone rep will usually go check to make sure its on the shelf.

Keep us aprised of the situation. I'd like to know how paypal handles this one.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Welcome to ridemonkey.
[scarcasm]
Thanks for registering just to bash a company that you're still in the process of resolving a problem with.
[/scarcasm]

Simply put, when it comes to web order sites, it's always "safer" to speak to a representative over the phone (if it's even possible, as some sites are web only). Always a good idea to pay with a credit card, not a debit card.

I have never had a problem with BB. Something thing you need to consider is that the availabilites/quantites listed on their website are not live and are only updated once a day... probably late at night or early in the morning. I check the website, write down the item numbers I want and their corresponding prices, and then call it in. Their warehouse is literally 50ft from their call center and, if you ask, the phone rep will usually go check to make sure its on the shelf.

Keep us aprised of the situation. I'd like to know how paypal handles this one.
Your suggestions are great but I've never seen an online merchant that so consistantly fails to deliver products and customer service.The results of providing products people want at reasonable prices coupled with good customer service are, repeat customers, referrals for new customers and increased market share. This is fundamental business practice. I'm surprised Beyond Bikes is still in business. I think they spend more on advertising in magazines than they do on stocking products. They keep a steady stream of unsuspecting/uninformed new customers coming along to place their orders. They would be far more successful if they focussed on delivering instead of jerking people around.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Check out these reviews:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/BeyondBikes

You would think that with all the negative press out there, they would have long ago taken steps to improve their operation. They just don't seem to care.
Pricing your stuff $5-10 less takes care of the issue. Most people search the web and come running, despite any warnings to stay away. Whatever business they lose from negative reviews and a lack of repeat customers just doesn't seem to matter.

When I lived in the area, I shopped their storefront and found them to be a decent bunch in person. You can't, however, claim something's in stock when it's not when the customer is standing right there. "Kerry/Sam," however, is a shady dude all around.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
When I lived in the area, I shopped their storefront and found them to be a decent bunch in person. You can't, however, claim something's in stock when it's not when the customer is standing right there. "Kerry/Sam," however, is a shady dude all around.
same here..since I lived within 20 minutes of them I just went in for anything I needed..I would say unless you're in the area stay far away from them Kerry or no Kerry...it says a lot about a business that would keep someone like him on the payroll for so long...D

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
Well it has changed there alot with out Kerry he now has a shop in esco called bike bling. he is way to shady i know cause i used to work at beyond.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
goddam! This thread's been around for 3 yrs! I've been looking for a 600/650x2.25 Romic spring and they're the only company selling them online. Then I remembered this thread from a while ago. I guess I'll try to contact Romic directly... which I hear is no easy task.

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
u got that right they suck at phones. we used to have to email everything and hope they send there stuff.

bad andy

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
You know it's funny. In my research I've seen claims to contact Kerry because he will get it done, I've also seen to avoid Kerry. What a rep the guys has, Lol.

My experience personally has been ok. Being in NY though, I tend to call in and double check stock and eta for products I want. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so they say. Make yourself a "nuisance" and they've no choice but to help you in order to get you to go away.

Funny how that works. :crazy:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The oldest Internet trick in the book is to review yourself...

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I'm planning to buy a Turner RFX frame from Beyondbikes, they have RFX's on sale for $1399, but I read this thread and now I don't know what should I do. I checked a bounch of another online store but I didn't find any RFX, only in Go-ride for MSRP price. Any advice ?

I know Allen too from DNZ, but he ain't got any Turner.
Beyond Bikes is owned by Tony Ellsworth's brother, it's a family business; Air Bomb too. The last thing you want to do is buy a Turner from Ellsworth. Why not call Dave Turner and see what he can do; those guys have AWESOME customer service. Or, you can log on the Turner pages and toss out the question, you'll get a lot of good support on the Turner pages.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Beyond Bikes is not reputable and they are dishonest; what don't you understand about it's only a matter of time before you get burned; why take chances with a company that has screwed so many people:bonk:

Beyond Bikes keeps a record of your credit and debit card numbers, most shops do not. I know some others do, but most don't. I've gone round and round with Kerry before, that guy has a piss-poor-passive / sarcastic style of communication; why would anyone do business with a company that has such a miserable customer service / sales rep; wake up, what does that tell you about the company. sorry, but I don't see any reason to support such poor business practices and disgusting customer service.

What they're using when they take your money without telling you the product is not in stock is a hook and a sting; they know you're hot to lay your money down for a good discount, and they count on you not asking if the product is in stock; next comes the sting! they got you and your money. Must be nice to have so much free money to operate with; scammers!

Something several of you guys said makes good sense and that's to ask the right questions before you buy; it really is a pain to have to keep calling to get what you already paid for. Keep calling the BBB and reporting them to your credit card companies and banks. Where do they sell those whuppin sticks:cheers:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I've bought from Beyond online and had no problem. When I found out they have one here in Perry Hall, Maryland, and I could get free ship if I order online and send to the store, I went to the store to discuss a new wheelset and my options. They didn't have what I wanted and the moment the guy told me that, it appeared he didn't want to discuss any other wheelsets options or offer me any other advice. I walked around the rims and the rest of the store hoping someone would say, "Can I help you out?" And everyone saw me but no one did. They acted like they could care less to make a sale. Typical snobby bike shop. I use Bike Doctor in Linthicum, Maryland. The guy that runs it, Jeff, he's a real easy going guy and is always helpful. Buy from someone that's helpful and has your best interest I say.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
Damn, I saw this thread too late. I got this today from BB (it was meant to be shipped on the 19th, but ordered on the 14th or so):

This e-mail is to notify you that your order #163646 is experiencing an unexpected short delay. We strive to ship every order in a timely manner and apologize for the inconvenience. We are doing everything possible to process your order and appreciate your patience. If you are concerned about the delay please feel free to contact customer service at 800-245-3911. No action is required at this time, we will notify you if the order is going to experience extended delays.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Damn, I saw this thread too late. I got this today from BB (it was meant to be shipped on the 19th, but ordered on the 14th or so):

This e-mail is to notify you that your order #163646 is experiencing an unexpected short delay. We strive to ship every order in a timely manner and apologize for the inconvenience. We are doing everything possible to process your order and appreciate your patience. If you are concerned about the delay please feel free to contact customer service at 800-245-3911. No action is required at this time, we will notify you if the order is going to experience extended delays.
I got that exact same message from them today about something I ordered nearly 2 weeks ago...does it really take 2 weeks for you to send me an automated email that essentially says "whoops we lied about this being in stock, we'll contact you if we decide to do anything about it in the next month"

Cazzamazza

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
Always remember seeing the beyond bike ads in Decline and I decided to get a new pair of five ten impacts and noticed they had them in most ads so I decided to go and order a pair as they "had them in stock"

Well of course I should have read up on them as over a week later I find out they are having an unexpected delay! And it will take another 10 days for them to get the item in and ship it! I could make myself quicker than that! I will be taking my business straight back to Chainreactioncycles.com for quick shipping to the east coast and no problem business!

lojack13

Chimp
Nov 5, 2006
Bottom line....don't buy from these a-holes. Just see their rating over on MTBR.com for further convincing...read the reviews. I have ordered from Beyond Bikes 2 times and got the same crap, they did not have anything I wanted in stock. I cancelled my order both times. Also, the very LAST TIME I decided to give them another shot, I filed a price match claim with a item that was clearly the same exact thing they had only for $15.00 less on another site, and they would not match it, FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. If you want to buy from online retailers the 4 best sites I have had great service and fast shipping is Price Point, Jenson, Cambria Bike, and Full Cycles.

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
DO NOT ORDER FROM BEYOND BIKES!!!!!
below is a copy of my complaint letter and a summary of the bad exp i had with them.... Should have listen to all the complaints before... and yes they really are that bad!!! :banghead:

I am a very unhappy customer. I placed an order (171411) on May 18th for a 661 pressure suit. After over a week I called to find the status of the order since I was not contacted via email for shipping tracking information. I found a lower price elsewhere and was going to cancel my order due to extended shipping time and inability to price match. The customer service representative stated that the item had already been shipped and that price matching and cancelation of the order was not possible at this time. If I did wish to return the items I could do so after I received them. This call was placed at 6:45pm. The tracking information revealed that the item did not register to ship (therefore picked up for shipment) until almost midnight that night. This proved to me that this order did have time to be canceled and the need for this letter not necessary. Never the less I figured I would give the benefit of the doubt and receive the package. The shipping still took too long and the item was stuffed into such a small package that it ruined the pressure suit spine protector. The only pleasant experience I have had through this process was obtaining the RA# which was done with no problems. Also due to the problems involved the representative waived the 15% restocking fee. I don't understand how this large of a business had operated for so long with this level of customer service.
Sincerely Disappointed

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive had good luck on all 3 of the orders ive gotten through them. i always make sure im ordering exactly what i need so i dont have to deal with their stupid 15% restocking fee

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
ive had good luck on all 3 of the orders ive gotten through them. i always make sure im ordering exactly what i need so i dont have to deal with their stupid 15% restocking fee
Most people don't know WTF they need and order the wrong s hit and get all pissy and try to pass the blame to someone else.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
the bike shop that used to be here in cartersville, georgia was nice. it was called cycle therapy. but it shut down and is only in rome now so i dont even have a bike shop. niot even one thatll rip me off. :P lol but that really does suck.
he didnt even say when theyd have the part?

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
Zack has been a great person to deal with and have used beyond bikes allot and never had a bad experience,I have talked to Kerry though and he has his days,Zack is the best person to do any deals on, in my opinion
Zack has been great here & VERY helpful. I ordered a set of Atomlab rims. spokes & torque nips 2 mos ago. STILL WAITING on the rims to be "in stock" were "backordered". I called Mike today @ Atomlab & he was very helpful telling me the person ordering for Beyond talked w/ him today & AGAIN FAILED to order my rim for the last time. He (Mike) called me back to say the stopped answering the phone a little early (2 hrs) today & he would try tomorrow. I am tired of Beyond, been a customer of theirs for years & years (mostly because of stock & prices) which is changing tomorrow. Zack is a fine cutomer service/ sales person he needs to find a better place to work. They advertised this in March as a sale item buy failed to tell me it was out of stock (as they alweays do). I even had a co. charge me 2 day air after waiting 1 mo. to be shipped (out of stock too). Seems to me @ this time in out economic crisis people would try a little harder to keep the few customers they still have. Far too much competition out there to stay w/ these companies...:plthumbsdown: