Quantcast

Beyond the pandemic

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd like to see a vaccine for Lyme disease and EEE. Those are both low-risk, area related viruses that there hasn't been a ton of development on...but what if we could just not worry about them????

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd like to see a vaccine for Lyme disease and EEE. Those are both low-risk, area related viruses that there hasn't been a ton of development on...but what if we could just not worry about them????
i just picked a tick off my leg that was there for at least 2 days. i should probably go get tested.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
MRNA vaccines are pretty cool tech, potentially ending HIV would be pretty damn impressive and a massive cost savings for healthcare providers globally, plus you know, that whole saving lives nonsense.

This always reminds me of Chris Rock saying they are still angry they cured polio

Another conspiracy theory I'll never understand is that somehow big Pharma caused all of this in order to sell us vaccines for billions and billions. The vaccines are cheap, medical care is not, so wouldn't they be working against their own self interests by developing the vaccine? I received about $40 worth of Pfizer sauce according to this https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/pfizer-eyes-higher-covid-19-vaccine-prices-after-pandemic-exec-analyst, I can't imagine they wouldn't make a few more bucks if I were even mildly sick instead. Post pandemic prices may go up, but still, they're not exactly killing it on vaccines.

Polio was a cash cow, just like covid has been. Applying MRNA tech to HIV would also be shooting yourself in the foot financially, but they're doing it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm just posting in this thread so that I can speculate about how premature the phrase "beyond the pandemic" is. All this talk about the "delta variant"? Just wait till science denying, heavily republican voting districts bring us the Zeta variant!

I'm just posting in this thread so that I can speculate about how premature the phrase "beyond the pandemic" is. All this talk about the "delta variant"? Just wait till science denying, heavily republican voting districts bring us the Zeta variant!
I would expect, at this point, that it'll be like influenza. Yes, there will be variants, yes, they will be more or less virulent, yes, it'll be routine annual vaccines.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I would expect, at this point, that it'll be like influenza. Yes, there will be variants, yes, they will be more or less virulent, yes, it'll be routine annual vaccines.
And slowly... the non-vaccinated will realize that it's not all that they thought it was (hoax, money-grab, liberal conspiracy, etc.) and get vaccinated. Or, conversely, they'll stick to their guns and die. :rolleyes:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Lyme is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and not a virus. :nerd:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
taxonomically speaking, bacteria is its own kingdom. viruses are a separate realm. i learned this from a quick google, and holy moly could you fall down a rabbit hole trying to learn about this stuff.
So I won't be an expert with 10 minutes of reading memes on the bookface account I don't have??

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
taxonomically speaking, bacteria is its own kingdom. viruses are a separate realm. i learned this from a quick google, and holy moly could you fall down a rabbit hole trying to learn about this stuff.
like, duh or whatever

Another recent study reported immunogenicity and moderate protective efficacy of SAM vaccines against bacterial pathogens, namely Streptococcus (groups A and B) spp., further demonstrating the versatility of this platform100.

so thanks for the science lesson gang, telling the biologist that bacteria and viruses are different, but I thought (and just confirmed) that mRNA vaccines can be used for bacteria. It was just a matter of doing it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
like, duh or whatever

so thanks for the science lesson gang, telling the biologist that bacteria and viruses are different, but I thought (and just confirmed) that mRNA vaccines can be used for bacteria. It was just a matter of doing it.
1625857710328.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As a biologist you should know that Lyme is not caused by a virus. ;)
And yes, the mRNA vaccine technology works for all kinds of targets. Initially it was developed to be able to vaccinate against cancer.

@jonKranked : Bacteria is a domain and not a kingdom! Kingdom is not used in taxonomy anymore if you are serious about it. :nerd::D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A vaccine is going to protect you from bacteria?

Edit: Oh crap, that's what I get for clicking on this thread late.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Viruses are not living entities.

Change my mind.

It of course depends on how you define life. If you assume life must directly consume energy and self replicate, then nope not alive. However you can consider them players in the game of life, where the game is to have a genetic code and reproduce such coding as much as possible, in that aspect they are very successful players of the game.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It of course depends on how you define life. If you assume life must directly consume energy and self replicate, then nope not alive. However you can consider them players in the game of life, where the game is to have a genetic code and reproduce such coding as much as possible, in that aspect they are very successful players of the game.