Quantcast

Bianchi Axis

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Hey I'm looking into getting a CX bike as I need a bike for training, but would like to stay away from pure road bikes because I live in an area with lots of dirt roads. I went to some shops, and got an idea of what there is out there. I really liked this one, and was just hoping to get some other people's opinions on it.
This was the bike: http://www.bianchiusa.com/site/bikes/32_Axis.html

Does this seem like a good deal with the parts, etc. I'm not familar at all with road parts, so I need some help here.

also, does anyone know if the frame is steel or aluminum? According to the website, it's AL, but according to the shop, it's steel. Maybe it's a model year change.

If you have other suggestions, I'm willing to here them. As far as budget goes, the Bianchi ($1400), is def. about the top of my limit.

As far as sizing goes, I'm confused. I'm about 5'10" normal build. One shop person told me to get the 55, and one told me to get the 52. The 55 felt better riding it, and I had about an inch and a half of standover. What size do you think I should get?

Thanks in advance.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yo dude, how's the ankle?

You really should talk to Victor at Trailblazers before you buy... good time of year to be in the market ;)

Kona makes some kickass stuff, and Redline's new CX has front and rear disc mounts. The future is now at Redline...

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
As far as the ankle goes, it's getting better. I played soccer (goalie) sunday nite on it. The ankle itself doesn't feel bad. There's a lot of bruising going, towards the bottom of the foot. I think I just bruised the bejesus out of the bones in my foot. Got lots of sympathy from the women I know, though:devil: Thanks for asking about, it still hurts when I bunnyhop, so I won't be there this thursday.

Yeah I'm def. going to do some more shopping around. I'm just trying to get a feel for the better quality bikes, and what I should look for in one. I'll have to take a run over to Trailblazers sometime, maybe this week. I was looking at BMX bikes yesterday and CX bikes today. Man, I just hate it when classes and work interfere with my bike-shopping.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Found a 56cm Fuji Cross bike, took it on a 10 minute test ride, it felt great. Maybe a tad long, but I can always get a shorter stem if need be. Price is def right for sure.

Thanks to the Roch. monkies for pointing me to Trailblazers, I loved that shop and the atmosphere.

Got a question about riding a cx bike though. I've always ridden mtn. bikes, so I'm wondering about hand position. My understanding of the different positions is:
Top = normal bar position, palms down
Hoods = hands in a neutral position, like bar ends on a mtn bike
Drops = self-explanatory

Is my understanding correct? What position do most of you use just for doing road rides and just riding around? I'm not planning on racing it (yet).

Thanks.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
1. The axis is aluminum, and has never been made out of steel ever.

2. you want either the 55 or the 58cm bike

3. the people at your shop sound like fools
good thing you found another one.

I'm 5'10" and run a bike with a 56.5 cm top tube and a 120mm stem and a bike with a 57cm tt and a 100 mm stem.

if you get a bike that is too small the bars will be too low. ideally the bars on a cross bike should be about 1 cm below the top of your saddle, like the drops should be the same height as the hoods on a properly fitting road bike.

From what i've seen no-one in NY undrstand CX at all. The only decent races are way down on LI etc...
Consider driving over to Mass one weekend, any good shop over here will be able to properly size and fit you to a decent cross bike.

As far as hand position you have it spot on. on a well set-up bike all the positions should be equally comfortable and you should jsut mix it up for variety.

when I'm racing on an average well designed course I spend my time 60-20-20 on the hoods-tops-drops

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
if it's the red Fuji cross bike, that seems like a pretty nice bike, though you get a much better frame on the Bianchi, imo. they're both pretty similar in their equipment, unfortunately they both have integrated headsets, yuck. check out an 04 lemond poprad if you can find one, steel frame, complete 105 build, for around $1100. Oh, and $1400 is a lot for that Axis, the shop I work at has them for much less.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Yeah the Bianchi seemed to be a lot nicer, but taking into account that the Fuji is $650, and the Bianchi is $1350, I'm leaning towards the Fuji. Nothing wrong with the Fuji, it's a 2002 model, and the shop wants to move it. Thanks for the help.