Quantcast

Bianchi entering the mix?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Just curious if anyone knew about this?

JUNE 07, 2006 -- HAYWARD, CA (BRAIN)—Bianchi USA’s iconoclastic product manager Sky Yaeger is leaving the company after a 17-year tenure for a change of pace. She will continue on at Bianchi until June 16.

“It was an awesome time and we did some amazing bikes over the years. We were first to market with some very unique bikes that define the story of Bianchi,” said Yaeger. “I am proud of every single bike we have and know that the 2007 product line will be the best ever. Since the 2007 line is done and ready to launch, this is the best time for me to make the leap.”

Yaeger said she will be pursuing new artistic challenges. One of the last bikes she designed was a rigid 29er single-speed in traditional Bianchi graphics.

Bianchi has not yet announced who her replacement will be.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think Bianchi had a 29er way back in the early days of the movement (for lack of a better word) but it never took off. It would seem logical that they would get into the mix again, since they seem to have had success with their single speed bikes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
NoLongerGumby said:
There have been some photos doing the rounds of a early proto etc
http://twentynineinches.com/page/6/

Lots of bikes still coming out hitting the same market...
Where is the meat? Burly FS bikes to take some abuse, and last..
Just waiting on the fork then I guess they will come.
What type of bike are you envisioning?

We've got the Behemoth, and can't you get a Ventana 29er FS frame with 5" rockes now?

White Brothers is the only company producing a 5" travel 29er fork though right now right? And it is mucho expensive.

Are you envisioning more of a big name brand heavy duty FS bike from say someone like Specialized, or Fisher, or Giant to keep the bike reasonably priced for a FS rig??

May 9, 2006
NYC
MMcG said:
What type of bike are you envisioning?
An enduro expert type build / bike as a minimum. Fairly strong with a good solid fork like the fox 36 talas. I have been riding one of late and it takes 8' drops and tears through rock gardens with confidence.

MMcG said:
We've got the Behemoth, and can't you get a Ventana 29er FS frame with 5" rockes now?
True but we still lack a solid fork up front. The pics of lance hucking the moth were on a bike using an eccentric hub mated to a fox fork.
The Moth is also ugly, sorry Padre if you lurk here but when paying
$$ it should look good too.. The ventana comes close but I will not settle for less than 6" travel (I have been an anti suspension advocate in the past but having experienced different riding applications my eyes have been opened.) the Ventana does come close and probably is the best option on the market at the moment.

MMcG said:
White Brothers is the only company producing a 5" travel 29er fork though right now right? And it is mucho expensive.
Pretty much, at least that we know of.

MMcG said:
Are you envisioning more of a big name brand heavy duty FS bike from say someone like Specialized, or Fisher, or Giant to keep the bike reasonably priced for a FS rig??
Exactly. Something at an affordable price. I don't have the $$ to build from the ground up so an enduro or a giant reign/trance or a fisher fat possum type ride that I can make changes to as needed would be perfect.
I thought the first proto of the niner with 6" of travel looked good but it was nixed for a more race oriented bike.
Having ridden a 29er for a while you can do what most do on a 4" travel 26" FS bike anyway so the next step is a bigger FS bike.
Unfortunately even though the 29er movement is growing at a rapid rate I appreciate it is currently setting out to meet the needs of the perceived market and that is still SS, geared hardtails and light weight travel bikes with a race application. Realistically it will be 2-3 years until the bike I want is produce at a competitive price.
For this reason I am back looking at 26" wheeled FS bikes.
Something like the new demo 7, the complete opposite of my current SS Karate Monkey with 100mm travel to round out my ride options.