Quantcast

bib shorts and helmets

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
finally breaking down and getting a pair. theres some discount ones on Amazon in the $40 range, some have mixed reviews, some actually seem well reviewed. worth a shot? or pony up for a better quality / more reputable brand?

also considering getting a road helmet. my mtb lid (smith forefront) is too hot for the road bike on hot days. so ventilation would be a priority.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
These are supposed to be a good lower price point option:

If you like your Forefront, take a look at the road version. I have Smith for both.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These are supposed to be a good lower price point option:

If you like your Forefront, take a look at the road version. I have Smith for both.
do you have experience with those bibs? or just heard good things?

how's the ventilation on the smith road helmet? it gets hot & humid here, so its not uncommon that i'll be riding in 90° heat and or 80%+ RH. I can manage the forefront in those conditions for trail riding, but i did 30 road miles with it this past sunday when it was around 85° and found myself wanting better ventilation.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
do you have experience with those bibs? or just heard good things?

how's the ventilation on the smith road helmet? it gets hot & humid here, so its not uncommon that i'll be riding in 90° heat and or 80%+ RH. I can manage the forefront in those conditions for trail riding, but i did 30 road miles with it this past sunday when it was around 85° and found myself wanting better ventilation.
Mine is an older Smith Overtake, I've not had an issues, but our climates are slightly different. However, I'm normally doing rides that climb for a long time in hot temps before descending a long way. No issues with heat.

For the shorts they got recommended by Phil Gaimon on his YT channel. I normally wear Pearl Izumi Pro's, but I may pick up some of the BB Ultimates next time I need to replenish.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
So I'm used to wearing bibs that retail for $180-$240, it's not really a fair comparison to $60 bibs.

On the Neopro, the chamois isn't quite as good; it's a smaller footprint and not as thick/dense, and the leg material doesn't have the same level of support/compression and breathability of my higher end bibs. They're very nice bibs, especially for the price, but wouldn't be my choice for a 5-6 hr. ride. For that I'd be wearing one of my bibs that cost 3-4x as much because I have that option.

The straps are wide enough and lay flat, so you don't notice them. They're plenty stretchy to pull down when you need to piss, and the legs are nice and long (and I say that as a not tall person). I can't stand the old school hot pants bibs, I like something longer.

Just remembered Louis Garneau, I had a couple of their bibs over the years and they were always very good, and could usually be found on sale at Backcountry for a reasonable price.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I'm used to wearing bibs that retail for $180-$240, it's not really a fair comparison to $60 bibs.

On the Neopro, the chamois isn't quite as good; it's a smaller footprint and not as thick/dense, and the leg material doesn't have the same level of support/compression and breathability of my higher end bibs. They're very nice bibs, especially for the price, but wouldn't be my choice for a 5-6 hr. ride. For that I'd be wearing one of my bibs that cost 3-4x as much because I have that option.

The straps are wide enough and lay flat, so you don't notice them. They're plenty stretchy to pull down when you need to piss, and the legs are nice and long (and I say that as a not tall person). I can't stand the old school hot pants bibs, I like something longer.

Just remembered Louis Garneau, I had a couple of their bibs over the years and they were always very good, and could usually be found on sale at Backcountry for a reasonable price.
the chamois seems to be the weak point on a lot of the low priced / budget bibs. so for what I need i'm starting to lean more towards dropping the extra $$ on something better, especially since I'll be using them for longer rides.

i've familiar with Garneau, when I was a mechanic the shop i wrenched at sold them.

should also note - I have used bibs before. I have a pair of knicker length ones for winter riding (so not suitable for summer riding). i've been using riding chamois' for a long time, my go to ones for MTB right now are TLD and Endura.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
competitive cyclist has 2 styles of LG bib shorts for under $100, probably gonna be hard to beat. between these two, the mondo evo seems to be the higher quality design?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey Jon, sorry I missed this thread. Sounds like you may have already ordered, but here goes:

I love my Garneau stuff, even more than my castelli. It seems more well built and durable, and it fits the american (taller, fatter, stronger) physique better than the italian stuff. I currently have two of their bibs, one pair of shorts and a couple of jerseys. The Jerseys and shorts are XL and they are now a little too big (6', 195lb). They fit better when I was fatter (6', 210lb). The two bibs I believe are size L, and I love them. I think I have the fit sensor 2 which is very comfortable and better for shorter rides. It's a bit thicker, so I typically wear them in the winter more often. The others I don't know the name of, but it looks like they are the same as the Mondo Evo you linked above. My chamois is yellow but otherwise it looks like same. I absolutely adore those bibs- they are a bit longer on the thigh and feature some compression straps across the quad which actually helps on long rides. I don't know if they have leg grippers, but I've never had them ride up. The chamois is the most comfortable I own and I'd wager it'll last all day if you want it to...it's far better than any of the castelli or other garneau stuff I have. Since you linked them, I may buy another pair or two.

I have heard mediocre things about the black bibs. Apparently they used to be good but they've gone downhill, and now the $40 pair are diapers, and at $80 for the ultimates you're cross-shopping sale items from more reputable brands. I've considered them, especially as my rides are usually under 2hr, but never been able to cross the threshold to hit purchase.

I was thinking about buying some de marchi stuff since it's cool handmade crap, but I think I'll wait and see what the garneau outlet turns up or buy some of those mondo bibs to take advantage of the deal.

For helmets, I always lean toward ventilation over aero or looks. My favorite helmet was a Spec Prevail 1, which was remarkably cool. I got drunk and rode home from the bar and destroyed that helmet, but it saved my head at least. The Prevail 2 didn't fit as well, so I've stuck with my bell helmets which fit my head the best. Currently on a Zephyr/Z20, which has good but not great ventilation, but fits really well. You can often find them around $100. I've been looking at getting an aero helmet for competing in TTs (aero road, not alien style) and the Oakley Aro3 and Aro5 keep coming up. Crazy deals out there on the Aro3. The prevail is one of the few helmets I would consider buying again at full retail, it was that good. I'm hoping the Prevail 3 fits better or the prevail 2s get knocked down on discount. Nothing better than a cool head when it's 90 out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey Jon, sorry I missed this thread. Sounds like you may have already ordered, but here goes:

I love my Garneau stuff, even more than my castelli. It seems more well built and durable, and it fits the american (taller, fatter, stronger) physique better than the italian stuff. I currently have two of their bibs, one pair of shorts and a couple of jerseys. The Jerseys and shorts are XL and they are now a little too big (6', 195lb). They fit better when I was fatter (6', 210lb). The two bibs I believe are size L, and I love them. I think I have the fit sensor 2 which is very comfortable and better for shorter rides. It's a bit thicker, so I typically wear them in the winter more often. The others I don't know the name of, but it looks like they are the same as the Mondo Evo you linked above. My chamois is yellow but otherwise it looks like same. I absolutely adore those bibs- they are a bit longer on the thigh and feature some compression straps across the quad which actually helps on long rides. I don't know if they have leg grippers, but I've never had them ride up. The chamois is the most comfortable I own and I'd wager it'll last all day if you want it to...it's far better than any of the castelli or other garneau stuff I have. Since you linked them, I may buy another pair or two.

I have heard mediocre things about the black bibs. Apparently they used to be good but they've gone downhill, and now the $40 pair are diapers, and at $80 for the ultimates you're cross-shopping sale items from more reputable brands. I've considered them, especially as my rides are usually under 2hr, but never been able to cross the threshold to hit purchase.

I was thinking about buying some de marchi stuff since it's cool handmade crap, but I think I'll wait and see what the garneau outlet turns up or buy some of those mondo bibs to take advantage of the deal.

For helmets, I always lean toward ventilation over aero or looks. My favorite helmet was a Spec Prevail 1, which was remarkably cool. I got drunk and rode home from the bar and destroyed that helmet, but it saved my head at least. The Prevail 2 didn't fit as well, so I've stuck with my bell helmets which fit my head the best. Currently on a Zephyr/Z20, which has good but not great ventilation, but fits really well. You can often find them around $100. I've been looking at getting an aero helmet for competing in TTs (aero road, not alien style) and the Oakley Aro3 and Aro5 keep coming up. Crazy deals out there on the Aro3. The prevail is one of the few helmets I would consider buying again at full retail, it was that good. I'm hoping the Prevail 3 fits better or the prevail 2s get knocked down on discount. Nothing better than a cool head when it's 90 out.
thanks for the feedback.

i ordered both models of the garneau stuff i linked (in 2 sizes ea b/c i'm on the border per the size chart). i was just gonna get the mondo evos, but some of the reviews mentioned it was semi-transparent in spots (didn't specify which color it was tho) and while I'm no prude i'm not trying to parade my ass around anymore than I would by wearing lycra in the first place. so i ordered the other model too just in case. i figure between them (and the 2 sizes) i'll get one that works.

and yea, i was looking at the black bib ultimates at first. but then i took a second look what i could find for garneau stuff, and when I realized i could get those for less than $20 more than the black bib ultimates it was kind of a no-brainer.

as far as helmets, i ordered a Bell Formula that i found on sale. Looks well ventilated, and it was a MIPS helmet for $72.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The mondos are lighter where they stretch, but I can't see my dingus through it. The castellis race bibs that I have are somewhat worse, but I just wear them on really hot days.

I'll be honest with you- if you scooped up that last pair of white/black bibs and decide you don't like the larges, let me know. Provided you try them on with underwear first, I may be inclined to buy them from you...not sure if Backcountry still covers return shipping or not. $80 is an absolute steal for those, but the stripey ones are kind of ugly...

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
competitive cyclist has 2 styles of LG bib shorts for under $100, probably gonna be hard to beat. between these two, the mondo evo seems to be the higher quality design?
The Garneua bibs I own are actually a prior model year of the Mondo Evo (with the yellow chamios). I haven't worn them in a while, but I remember liking them and having no real complaints.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The mondos are lighter where they stretch, but I can't see my dingus through it. The castellis race bibs that I have are somewhat worse, but I just wear them on really hot days.

I'll be honest with you- if you scooped up that last pair of white/black bibs and decide you don't like the larges, let me know. Provided you try them on with underwear first, I may be inclined to buy them from you...not sure if Backcountry still covers return shipping or not. $80 is an absolute steal for those, but the stripey ones are kind of ugly...
i got the gray color on both. and i was borderline between XL and 2XL, not L and XL. fat.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm always on the hunt for pearl Izumi pro level bibs on sale. No way am I paying retail.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I have a pair of the black bibs. They were fine until they weren't. After about a year the lycra started deteriorating and the chamois went a bit flat.

I like Voler's stuff. Durable, minimal logos and sizing is accurate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
LG order got delivered yesterday. definitely needed the XXL. i think im actually gonna go with the Equipe over the Mondo Evo. the cut on them is better for me, and the resulting fit is better for my height. the bibs on the mondo evos were tighter, and im assuming were cut for a slightly shorter rider. i did like the chamois on the mondos slightly better, but not enough to put them over the edge for the better fit and overall comfort on the Equipe. that said, there was nothing i disliked about the chamois on them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Im not an advocate for the dick-maze that comes on some underwear and pajamas, but if there was ever a piece of clothing that needed a trap-door for peeing, bibs are it.