Quantcast

bibs - why?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I saw in another thread someone metioned that bibs are the most underrated piece of equipment - why? What makes them better than just regular cycling shorts (lycra)?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i've never had trouble urinating, so maybe my bibs are different somehow?

I love my Descente Aeros.

But they're just more comfortable, give 'em a try. Remember, the padding has to be similar to the shorts you're currently wearing or it's not a good comparison.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
well, I rode 150 miles in shorts once, but I do prefer bibs now. I don't remember pulling up my shorts though during that long ride.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Bibs also eliminate the waistband.

I use to wear bibs then I quit for awhile and then I got some more and now if I use them they rub my nipples and the pain is quite annoying. Don't know what changed. If you wear an undershirt under them, that would eliminate it, but it too hot around here in the summer to double up so I went back to shorts. I do have a pair of bib tights that I love.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Bibs are best for comfort because they have no waistband - nothing binds when you are in the drops or aero position. I f your style is more upright then a waistband probably won't bother you too much. As for taking a wizz - I just pull up a leg and uh... route the plumbing through. :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Gotcha - I'll stick with my shorts. I have no problem with the shorts I wear now, and I'm not paying that much more money for bibs if comfort is the only advantage.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
.... and now if I use them they rub my nipples and the pain is quite annoying.[/QUOTE said:
Wonder if Butt Butter would work for your nipple problem? You should try it and be sure to let us know how it turns out!:rofl:

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Wumpus said:
I use to wear bibs then I quit for awhile and then I got some more and now if I use them they rub my nipples and the pain is quite annoying.
Skiing trick: eliminate hotspots in the boots by putting a piece of cloth (hockey) tape over the sensitive portion. It might burn a bit pulling it off, but it'll add that extra layer of skin you need, when you need it.

Edit: I'm in some pretty nice Pearl shorts (3D ultras) and they work really well w/ my Terry Fly saddle.