Quantcast

bicycle fabrications carbon / steel proto

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
cool idea. massive bearings. must create an interesting shock rate.

also, i spy them using an outboard BB for the swingarm main pivot. interesting.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I dont see the benefit of that ridiculously huge bearing. The metal piece inside it acts as the second link, what does it accomplish that a normal link and a smaller bearing couldn't? It is a very creative way to do it, but i see it like hubless wheels, looks cool, but no advantage.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^makes for nice simple & compact packaging. otherwise you'd have to use another push rod between the swingarm & link (w/ bearings at each end, of course). i like it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I dont see the benefit of that ridiculously huge bearing. The metal piece inside it acts as the second link, what does it accomplish that a normal link and a smaller bearing couldn't? It is a very creative way to do it, but i see it like hubless wheels, looks cool, but no advantage.
Replaces 4 smaller bearings with 2 larger ones. Plus, that's the bearing that sees the largest static load. Larger race with lots if tiny balls means better bearing life.

I like it. Elegant solution.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Replaces 4 smaller bearings with 2 larger ones. Plus, that's the bearing that sees the largest static load. Larger race with lots if tiny balls means better bearing life.

But the 2 larger bearings will weigh much more than the 4 smaller ones...

I'm with Mullet Dew.

And it's doesn't even look that good IMO.

Still, credit to the builder...

I'd always thought about using BB bearings as a main pivot, nice to see someone actually do it. I think it's a pretty easy way to design a main pivot for a custom fabrication.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
But the 2 larger bearings will weigh much more than the 4 smaller ones...
you're also eliminating a push link (or links) and a couple bolts, and gaining a more rigid assembly with a (most likely) longer service lifespan.

and it looks hot, imo (to each his own, obviously).

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA

Doesn't the (big cylinder in the big bearing) still rotate around the bolt that goes thru it, needing a bearing or bushing?

PS post# 187, gangsta!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'd always thought about using BB bearings as a main pivot, nice to see someone actually do it. I think it's a pretty easy way to design a main pivot for a custom fabrication.
The latest generation of the SC Bullit is basically this.

Pretty cool rig but like others have said it seems like a pretty complicated solution to a linkage-driven single pivot. Also, the one half carbon tube seems kinda pointless. But it is way nicer than the frame I (haven't) made, so points to them for the effort.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I quite like the full length carbon post and the carbon tt, but a bit like Nicolai in the fact that it's too industrial for my taste. Get rid of some of the angles, unnecessary supporting struts and gussets etc and it could look a whole lot nicer. As OG said though, looks way nicer than any frame I have made (or not made as the case may be).

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Tomac used a similar eccentric bearing system on their Snyper 140 if I recall correctly. Pretty cool idea, not sure how well it translated into a real product (in either the BF one or the Tomac) but it's a neat solution for super short links.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The carbon won't save much in that situation. Pretty much just for looks.

The linkage design is interesting. The bearings wouldn't be much of a weight gainer, but that giant chunk of aluminum they support would be.