Quantcast

Bicycle lawsuit against Wal-Mart

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I'm not fighting at all....Just attempting to shed some light on the theories that are employed in scenario's such as this...Because the general public, up until now including myself, had no idea how this crap could happen.

I actually enjoy this bantor! :thumb: But certianly no ill will was ever intended....

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Two things:

Every shop I worked for during the last 15 years required any employee selling a bike to show the customer how to use the quick release (QR) lever before the bike left the shop. In one shop we even had a form that the customer would sign stating that they understood the QR's proper use.

That being said, I never worked at a WalMart or other 'cheap bike' store.

Alternatively, I have seen many WalMart type bikes come in with QR levers improperly tightened or adjusted. Most of the time, they are simply twisted on until tight with no use of the cam mechanism.

I wish no harm on these consumers, but I also don't think it was the QRs fault. Not being there, I'll never know. I'm glad WalMart is being sued. I think they are responsible for educating the consumer, but a lot of these consumers need to take some responsibility for their own actions.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
sirknight6 said:
What if mom kept tightens the QR for junior… but would only come loose after 5 minutes…Is it her fault if the QR is defective? If she’s not a wrench, how would she have any knowledge?
Then she goes to a bike shop and asked questions about a vehicle her kid is riding around on.

I agree the manufacturer has a responsibility, but did they know the parts were defective, because the mom sure did. For years...

I never knew things until I found out things.

:rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A few years ago I was riding at Killington. I was at the top of the mountain waiting for some friends, and this couple gets off the lift with rental bikes (from the mountain). One of the bikes, the front QR was completely open. If that dude would have tried to ride that bike down the hill like that he would have definitely gone to the hospital. I'm sure Killington would tell you that their rental fleet is maintained by expert mechanics and the bikes are checked before they are given to a customer. But that dude had no idea that they had sent him out the door with a time bomb.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I`am so glad this is here my wife is wanting to buy some POS`s for my three kid`s ,the first bikes my kid`s got where from LBS 2 trek mountain cubs ,and 2 Dyno bmxers ,and my wife has a feminia jeckle .Now to save a few dollars she want`s to go and buy a Wally -douche mart/Target bike .I now have ammo to show the woman why not to save 2 bucks and end up hurting one of my children :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ,BTW I will be printing the first page to show her :p :p ,and yes I will pony up for good bikes

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
shocktower said:
I`am so glad this is here my wife is wanting to buy some POS`s for my three kid`s ,the first bikes my kid`s got where from LBS 2 trek mountain cubs ,and 2 Dyno bmxers ,and my wife has a feminia jeckle .Now to save a few dollars she want`s to go and buy a Wally -douche mart/Target bike .I now have ammo to show the woman why not to save 2 bucks and end up hurting one of my children :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ,BTW I will be printing the first page to show her :p :p ,and yes I will pony up for good bikes
Dude, been a while how are ya? yeah the issues with the W-crap bikes are real sad. it's real dangerous to get bikes from there, because, sadly it could cost you more in the long run let alone serious injury. They just don't last.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. Walmart bikes suck.
2. Uh, the lawsuit is basically that Walmart did not supply documentation on how to use the QR.
3. I bet from now on, you will see every bike under $250 come with locknuts front and rear, even ones from the LBS.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
stinkyboy said:
And full face helmets?
Actually they will come with warning labels;

"This bicycle is for visual enjoyment only and should never be ridden. Failure to comply with this warranty could result in injury or death."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bluebug32 said:
Are you implying that my Huffy dualie is a piece of sh!t!?!? It's got bar ends and everything!
Point those bar ends straight up (I call them the impalement point!).

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I was doing some work at UCSB's campus bike-shop last week, and I fixed (I use this term loosely) a walmart bike that had exact same problem, except in this case, the owner did not ever remember a skewer being there. The side pressure from his fork legs was all that was keeping the wheel in place, and when they bowed out a little, the wheel came right off. I put a new skewer in, and tightened it properly, and gave him a warning that he should buy a proper bike ASAP.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ridetoofast said:
enough of the sanitized purdddy pictures

action and dirt beyotch!!! how do we know you actually ride it? :p
Until then, here he is "bombing" over a small rock:

Complete with standard metrosexual nontan.

:rolleyes:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
There is a guy around here that rides real bikes now, but when he started he was on a Wally World bike. He was not wearing a helmet, which he now admits was stupid, and the fork actually broke when he was riding off a curb. I belive he fractured his skull and he now has a few plates in his head to show for it. Pretty scary stuff.

He used to be on this board, maybe he will chip in with the full story.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ya know, and these people with their WalMart bikes look at you like your insane, yet by the time 10 some years pass by, they will have easily collectivly spent that on junk bikes. :rolleyes: