Quantcast

Bicycle news

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We live in a highly rarified atmosphere… Easy to loose sight of that.
Yeah, I grew up dreaming of being able to own a bike from an actual bike shop and not something from Kmart.

12 year old me would be pretty exctatic to see what bikes I have in my basement, really disappointed in everything else.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I seem to remember they had what would probably be described today as a downcountry full-sus frame that was pretty good looking a decade or so ago, kind of on the burly end of XC. Can’t recall the name…

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Yeah, I grew up dreaming of being able to own a bike from an actual bike shop and not something from Kmart.
Same thing.
I remember one vacation in the States I was browsing some magazines at some sports store... and saw a magazine with a review of a $3,600 carbon/kevlar bike (Circa 1995, me being 11).
I was like totally blown away in the awesomeness of that bike.

My mom bought me a "made in USA" Kmart bike, that I brought back home with me.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
What, no ‘Best’ back then from Peter? (I guess those were late 90’s/early oughts?)
That was 1995, I wasnt even 12.
There were 1 or 2 bike shops in Lima, I didnt know they existed and my mom/dad were completely oblivious to $1000 bikes.
I got an aluminum DiamondBack in the states in 97, and then a dual suspension aluminium Mongoose with some elastomer rockshox fork in 2000 from some big box sports store in new york... and I was hot stuff in my hood when I brought it back.

I got my first real bike shop bike at age 17, in 2001... I was already in college in the States and got a GT Agressor.

Pd. I forgot. I got a sweet aluminum argentinean-made bmx race bike, with sweet plastic covers over the wheels, presta valves and pirelli tires at age 7, 1990. That was my first bike. I think that was a bike shop bike my mom got in Argentina. A car run over my bike, shortly after. Mom didnt get me another bike until I was like 11, which was promptly stolen.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I had a Jamis Dragon. Full first gen XTR. Seatpost and everything. It was a cool bike.
When I lived in Florida they had a copy XC full suspension design using a Turner design that was cool and I used to think the 853 Reynolds frame was nice. That was the 90s.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
jamis is high end...
Compared to Huffy, etc. They are second/third tier, but light years above Walmart brand.

Last edited: