Quantcast

Bicycle Specific Knee Brace

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hey everyone! Im doing some researc[SUB][/SUB]h for one of my classes and was looking to get some input. Im thinking of designing and building specific bicycle knee brace. Since most knee braces are moto related, they lack certain characteristics that would be more bicycle orientated, such as lack of clearence for pedalling, bulky, really expensive, no calf protection, etc. But since moto is more prone to ACL injuries and knee failure in general, riders use them before ever tearing anything. Therefore the questions are as follows : would you ride with a bike specific knee guard before tearing anything? Is this.over the top protection and what's available just works for you? How much would.you be willing to spend on one? What would you like to see? Any comment or idea is appreciated! I wrote this on my phone... excuse the points everywhere heheh thanks!

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I used a full custom brace for DH for a few times when getting back into it after my second ACL tear (see below for reasoning). Haven't used it since and never used it before either tear (neither were XC/DH related). For 99.9% of situations I encounter while riding, I feel it's not worth it.

After my second tear, I figured I might have to use a brace all the time. But most actual doctors I talked to seemed skeptical of the ability of braces to actually prevent new damage to the knee. The only reason my doc agreed to prescribe me a brace the second time around was to help support my knee while the new ligament finished healing.

That said, I do still use the brace on my bad knee while riding Moto, but it's more of a placebo thing and some additional support during minor corrections. I don't expect it to save me if I **** up in any serious way.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
If you talk to any honest orthotist, they will tell you that a great deal of what a knee brace provides is a kinesthetic reminder to the user to avoid movements that will compromise the joint, tighten the muscles around the joint during activity, and other things of that nature.

With all the torsional loads you place on your knees with your foot/feet planted and your torso mass moving, there's no way a 12" long brace (6" above and below knee center is the common design) can resist the forces. There are insufficient lever arms used and bulkiness/weight becomes an issue with a very strong design.

A knee brace will probably not prevent a traumatic injury. However, as a kinesthetic reminder it can help those who are in a weakened state or suffer from osteoarthritis.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I was reading the study the guys at Troy Lee did before doing their brace. Its intresting how they found that the amount of knee inguries between users that used a brace versus non brace users wasnt all that much (slightly less with the brace) thus the questions arrises if the knee brace is more of a placebo effect of just feeling more protected? From what I've been reading, CTi, POD, Asterisk and Troy Lee braces are top choices. The Troy Lee brace seems more suited for bike riding.

So the question is, is a knee brace really necesary for mountain bike, or in that case for riding at all? I tore my ACL riding, but after my op I never needed or have used a brace, my doc told me I didnt need one. But thats personal experience, anyone else have anything to say?