Quantcast

Biden Presidency 2021 - ?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Do we care about Sleepy Uncle Joe being on the dark money take to the tune of $145 mill?

I personally don't think I do. While I'd really like to see massive campaign reform across the board, and limiting how much a campaign can spend, etc. I figure it's kinda like Le Tour... if they're all doing drugs then it's kind of still a fair race. Right?
I care.

I mean, we can't bitch about what one party does then ignore it when "our" guy does it. That's what republicans do.

It is fair to say "they are all doing it" because well, they are. If we stick with the Le Tour analogy, it's the Tour that needs a major overhaul, and the riders. It can be both an institutional issue and an individual issue. I pray to the @FSM that one of the things that happens, and happens soon, is some major campaign finance reform. Citizens United needs to be overturned come hell or highwater or this issue does not go away.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do we care about Sleepy Uncle Joe being on the dark money take to the tune of $145 mill?

I personally don't think I do. While I'd really like to see massive campaign reform across the board, and limiting how much a campaign can spend, etc. I figure it's kinda like Le Tour... if they're all doing drugs then it's kind of still a fair race. Right?
dark money?

thatsracistdotgif

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Clearly Sleepy Uncle Joe has not read @Toshi's extensive treatise on the subject or he wouldn't be wasting the American taxpayer's money on such frivolity.

I think EVs for all USPS delivery vehicles and government fleets would be awesome! especially if the fast charging infrastructure (DCFC at 100-250+ kW, not level 2 @ 6-20 kW) were publicly accessible as well.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I care.

I mean, we can't bitch about what one party does then ignore it when "our" guy does it. That's what republicans do.

It is fair to say "they are all doing it" because well, they are. If we stick with the Le Tour analogy, it's the Tour that needs a major overhaul, and the riders. It can be both an institutional issue and an individual issue. I pray to the @FSM that one of the things that happens, and happens soon, is some major campaign finance reform. Citizens United needs to be overturned come hell or highwater or this issue does not go away.
Agree that massive campaign reform needs to happen yesterday. But if given the current choice of "our" guys/gals taking the high road and not accepting said dark money, losing election after election, and teh country having shitty Republican policy and craziness thrust upon it with no check, balance, or otherwise... I'll say that currently maybe consider taking that dark money. Because if it's one thing the Democrats are, is quick to take the moral high ground. And yeah, we get to have all the feels but at the end of the day the policies of the country get pulled further and further right.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I think EVs for all USPS delivery vehicles and government fleets would be awesome! especially if the fast charging infrastructure (DCFC at 100-250+ kW, not level 2 @ 6-20 kW) were publicly accessible as well.
"Sorry, boy, you can't plug that in here. This here is gubmint lightning."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Agree that massive campaign reform needs to happen yesterday. But if given the current choice of "our" guys/gals taking the high road and not accepting said dark money, losing election after election, and teh country having shitty Republican policy and craziness thrust upon it with no check, balance, or otherwise... I'll say that currently maybe consider taking that dark money. Because if it's one thing the Democrats are, is quick to take the moral high ground. And yeah, we get to have all the feels but at the end of the day the policies of the country get pulled further and further right.

It wasn't uncommon where I lived in VA to go weeks without power after a hurricane or heavy wet snowfall. Add blackout anxiety to range anxiety.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Especially that it would help with air quality too, not just climate changing gases, given that most of those vehicles are diesel powered. I'd love to see school buses and other municipal heavy-duty vehicles move in this direction too.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I get what youre saying, I just don't know how I feel about it. I've been screeching for a while now at the Democrats to start playing the same dirty pool that Republicans have no qualms playing, but at the same time I feel the need to be better. It seems to me that the slope is awfully slippery.

It's also the New York Post...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
...but at the same time I feel the need to be better.
How very woke of you. I'll play the id in this made-for-TV melodrama, and you can make guest appearances as the super-ego then, deal? :D

It's also the New York Post...
Should I know something about the New York Post that would give me some kind of insight into why one might point this out to me, and why the article being in the New York Post is relevant to this discussion?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Should I know something about the New York Post that would give me some kind of insight into why one might point this out to me, and why the article being in the New York Post is relevant to this discussion?

nah

nothing important :rofl:

Okay, now that you know what jonnnyK just told you...NOW go read that webpage. Click around. Just browse. It will mean a lot more now.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Read in the NYT Daily Briefing today that Biden's focusing on "Full Employment" — and that there's some difference of opinion among economists about how helpful that might be for the country. I got a little curious, because I don't pretend to understand things like math and The Economy™ and what Full Employment really means. I skimmed through the following White House posts, working on understanding them more fully.

Gotta be honest, what I'm reading seems to make sense to me. Mostly giving help directly to the people, having a plan for actually creating jobs not just giving tax breaks to corporations, and understanding/emphasizing that the health of the economy of this country is inextricably linked to getting a handle on the Covid pandemic.

This all seems good. Am I missing something here? Where's Brian to tell me his 401k is gonna take a hit?

EDIT TO ADD: I read the high-level arguments for an against an aggressive economic stimulus in the Daily Briefing, it seemed to be basically "if we do too much, the interest rates / inflation will go up" and that could be bad. And I agree that would be bad, but it also sounds like not doing enough could also be bad in that the economy will take even longer to recover. So, it's balancing risk vs. reward here? Or really, different risks that have different rewards and consequences? Tough call to make.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Read in the NYT Daily Briefing today that Biden's focusing on "Full Employment" — and that there's some difference of opinion among economists about how helpful that might be for the country. I got a little curious, because I don't pretend to understand things like math and The Economy™ and what Full Employment really means. I skimmed through the following White House posts, working on understanding them more fully.

Gotta be honest, what I'm reading seems to make sense to me. Mostly giving help directly to the people, having a plan for actually creating jobs not just giving tax breaks to corporations, and understanding/emphasizing that the health of the economy of this country is inextricably linked to getting a handle on the Covid pandemic.

This all seems good. Am I missing something here? Where's Brian to tell me his 401k is gonna take a hit?

EDIT TO ADD: I read the high-level arguments for an against an aggressive economic stimulus in the Daily Briefing, it seemed to be basically "if we do too much, the interest rates / inflation will go up" and that could be bad. And I agree that would be bad, but it also sounds like not doing enough could also be bad in that the economy will take even longer to recover. So, it's balancing risk vs. reward here? Or really, different risks that have different rewards and consequences? Tough call to make.
I for one will be upset if the price if food goes up because more people can afford it.

:s

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I read the high-level arguments for an against an aggressive economic stimulus in the Daily Briefing,
Turns out they weren't that high level afterall.........

it seemed to be basically "if we do too much, the interest rates / inflation will go up" and that could be bad.
Oh no. What would we do if prices for everything went up completely unlike the last (*checks notes*) 2000 fucking years.

That's not an argument. That can be mitigated through tons of different ways. They do it all the time with produce for fucks sake. And interest rates are a thing that are deliberately determined by the FED.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
GOP is against raising the minimum wage "during the pandemic", which translated means: could mess with yacht money.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
GOP is against raising the minimum wage any time, ever, which translated means: could mess with yacht money.
FTFY

It's always the wrong time if you're the GOP to
1. Raise the minimum wage
2. Discuss gun control
3. Pass immigration law/reform
4. Allow people to vote
5. Address racial issues
6. Etc
7. Etc
8. Etc

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Who is hiring you idiots?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Again, this thread is boring. WTF? policy discussions?

Where are the memes?
Where are the twitter rants?
Where are the grand jury convictions?
Where is the fear mongering?
Where is the underlying anxiety of the collapse of democracy?
Why can I tell the difference between satire and reality?

This presidency is just lame

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Again, this thread is boring. WTF? policy discussions?

Where are the memes?
Where are the twitter rants?
Where are the grand jury convictions?
Where is the fear mongering?
Where is the underlying anxiety of the collapse of democracy?
Why can I tell the difference between satire and reality?

This presidency is just lame
LOW ENERGY PRESIDENCY. SAD.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Turns out they weren't that high level afterall.........

Oh no. What would we do if prices for everything went up completely unlike the last (*checks notes*) 2000 fucking years.

That's not an argument. That can be mitigated through tons of different ways. They do it all the time with produce for fucks sake. And interest rates are a thing that are deliberately determined by the FED.
money printer goes brrrrr

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
just like every other president.
I think the point of the article is that it's not just like every other president. That folks placed in positions by the Trump Administration are being told to pack their shit, even if their contract or term or whatever isn't up. That's (maybe just one of) the unusual things going on, generally folks have been left to serve out their contract during past administration changes. Another thing that is unusual about this transition is how many people the Biden admin is appointing... just to fill spots that had been left vacant by the Trump admin.