Quantcast

Biden Thread

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Let’s Go, Brandon!

Gas prices were a major story in 2022: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine roiled energy markets and some predicted the US dollar might be subsumed by a new, commodity-backed trade currency.

Instead, it appears the US government made the oil trade of the year: Releasing 180 million barrels of crude from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve between March and the end of this year in an effort to blunt the effect of rising prices, the US government appears to have made about $4 billion, as prices have fallen dramatically over the course of the year.

Selling when crude oil prices were high, the US captured billions in value. By one widely-used measure, the price of crude oil in Texas peaked at about $124 a barrel in March, and the average price during the SPR sales period was about $96; today that oil costs just $73 per barrel.

These are paper profits, to be sure: The US is still aiming to refill the reserve, and prices may rise as it does so. On Dec. 16, the Department of Energy put out a request to purchase 3 million new barrels of crude, after releasing about 200 million barrels in 2022. There are currently about 382 million barrels still in reserve.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
so when the GOP investigations start... what shall we call it? bidenghazi? benghaden?
Given half the GOP either ignored congressional subpoenas or plead the fith during the Jan 6th hearings, I'd love to see how they'd react to similar treatment for their "investigations".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just read it, I don’t see anything about Trump’s strategy to buy low?
innernetting is hard

But I see your pithiness about ‘enacting’.
is that what you meant?
It's a larger trend. Republicans tout backing the blue but democrats really blow money on cops. Same with defense.

Republicans loosen oil restrictions on the industry and then democrats really wrap their mouths around their dicks by giving them our money outright, increasing oil availability, keeping gas prices low.......all while doing a performative little dance about le climatecrisis™

Build fucking trains if you really want to fix something.

In order to seek approval from 'the other side of the isle' democrats end up enacting and putting into place all the shit republicans brag about publicly. Idiots think it will get them votes. And in the meantime we end up with the republican vision for the future, just window dressed as some kind of 'progressive' bullshit. All the way down the line.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Build fucking trains if you really want to fix something.
follow a fb amtrak group...people shocked trains are late in winter...

trains are great in the states if you are not in a hurry...

i went to DC for a nick cave show from charlotte....no problem...

charlotte to nyc for the stone roses at msg...one stuck semi and a 7 hour delay...no bueno....for a 2AM train...

highspeed rail in the states would be nice...will not see it before the end of the world...

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
About to take our first big choo-choo train ride, NYC to Burlington, since the motherfucker won't go all the way to Montreal anymore. Then renting a car to get the rest of the way to Frenchanada, only to park it and spend a few days walking around. Thanks a lot, Joebama.