Quantcast

Big-ass kit bags?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Going to the Alps for two weeks in just over a months time, and I'm looking for a big bag for all my gear that I could use for the weekend as well. Few requirements; big enough for helmet, neck brace, armour, 5.10's and all that sh1t, as well as the usual clothes and other stuff you'd pack for a fortnight away. So pretty big I suppose. Preferably a seperate compartment for the helmet, but not essential. Zips that are lockable incase I take it on a plane. Doesn't have to have wheels and a handle but I wouldn't knock it back either. Durable, of course. And I'd like to keep the price down to around £100, £150 absoloute max and only if it's head and shoulders above everything else.

So far I've been looking at the Oneal MX-4 Dirt Bag

http://www.mx1.co.uk/products-Oneal-MX-4-Dirt-Bag_1310B-00.htm

The Thor MX Kicker

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/2010-thor-mx-kicker-gearbag-black-p-6749.html

And the EVS Freighter

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/gear-bags/freighter-rolling-bag/

Any experience with using the above or personal recommendations I would be glad to hear them.

Cheers

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have had a TLD SE gear bag since 2003 or so and its held up great over the years. I did not get the one without rollers (cuz I hate lazy fookers that roll tiny overnight bags through the airports) but I wish I had gotten the one with rollers. Hypocritical I know. But usually I am also carrying a bike box or wheel bag etc. So rollers would have been nice.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Agreed rollers are key, we have the TLD Bag w/o rollers and when its full of gear its heavy and cumbersome!

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Yeah on consideration you guys are right about the rollers, it is a pain in the arse heaving a big bag around a big bag on your shoulders round an airport. So that's the Thor bag out of the running. I've also seen the Fox Shuttle Gearbag:

http://www.mx1.co.uk/products-Fox-Shuttle-Gearbag-Pinstripe_11022-515.htm

Daisycutter, the Ogio looks good, but not really much different to the rest and it has an rrp of £200! I could probably get it cheaper but even still it would be a fair few more beer tokens that could go on holiday. Have you had bad times with another bag and the Ogio sorted all the faults out?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I appreciate the replies, but you all keep telling me to get the most expenisve bag around! :rofl: Nah, I know you get what you pay for, but if I get the Ogio it's going to sting the wallet a bit. Plus, unfortunately I'm not a jet setting pro so I don't fly with my kit all that often (taking a van over this year anyway), and a bag that size I probably wouldn't use every weekend either cos I just don't need the size. I'm in two minds whether something that is 1/2 to 2/3 the price would work just as well for use a few times a year, you know?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah on consideration you guys are right about the rollers, it is a pain in the arse heaving a big bag around a big bag on your shoulders round an airport. So that's the Thor bag out of the running. I've also seen the Fox Shuttle Gearbag:

http://www.mx1.co.uk/products-Fox-Shuttle-Gearbag-Pinstripe_11022-515.htm

Daisycutter, the Ogio looks good, but not really much different to the rest and it has an rrp of £200! I could probably get it cheaper but even still it would be a fair few more beer tokens that could go on holiday. Have you had bad times with another bag and the Ogio sorted all the faults out?
As i mentioned, mine has about 300 000 airmiles on it now. That os a lot of bad baggage handling. It is still kicking ass with NO problems. Most other gear bags I have had do not last a single season. It's an investment.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The problem with duffles is that they usually don't have dividers nor vents. Both of which are nice with muddy and smelling gear.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
If you can still find someone who sells one of these, they are divided, vented, wheeled and cavernous. Middle holds armor, pants, shorts, jerseys and street clothes; one end holds 2+ pair shoes, knee/shins, etc; other end will hold your Leatt and helmet. Sucker is a monster but I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I've had an Ogio 6900 going on 3 years now and can't fault it a bit. Super burly construction, giant zippers, changing mat, helmet compartment, tool bag, shoe pouch, goggle sleeve, amazing bag. No wheels, and not as large as the 9900 but a contender none the less. They can be had for less than 100$ if you search the web.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I travel 11 months a year, across the whole world ( 8months for work and 4 months because I like to travel ), I have two bags that should have a baby together to make one perfect gear bag.
One is a big ol Fox gear bag that Ive been using for at least 7 years now.
It just doesnt have wheels so I bought an Ogio 9800 MX.
The Ogio is nicer for me because it has wheels and its a bit bigger but the Fox has better compartements and venting which I find pretty important.
Also look for a bag with a hard plastic bottom, makes life easier...

Fox and Ogio have been top notch in quality but I think its most important that you find a bag with the right compartements and features for your needs.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Sorry for the delay, only have internetz at work. Having had a look at the Ogio site, the 9800 MX is actually a bit cheaper (rrp £150 and I have seen it a bit cheaper online) compared to the 9900. The site doesn't actually say much about the differences but the 9800 seems to have all the dividers and compartments so I may look into that one. :)

Mark, some folk are just staying the week but most are out for two as far as I know.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
My 9800 MX doesnt have seperate compartments for helmet or anything, just one big compartement for clothes and one in the top for laundry, and 3 seperate zipper compartements where you could fit some goggles or something.

Like the bag for traveling but not the ideal gear bag imo...

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
My 9800 MX doesnt have seperate compartments for helmet or anything, just one big compartement for clothes and one in the top for laundry, and 3 seperate zipper compartements where you could fit some goggles or something.

Like the bag for traveling but not the ideal gear bag imo...
I have a 9800 and it DOES have separate dividers for helmet and year as well as as has the BOOK style opening system so you actually have 2 halves of storage rather than one big pit...it has also done 3 plus seasons of world cup travel and I paid RETAIL for it and never looked back.

Like fraser said, its an investment and you do get what u pay for. I had the 661 bag and it didn't even last a whole season. I have LITERALLY ridden my gear bag down flights of stairs to test durability/drunken fun and it is still going strong 3 years later!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So what's the difference between the 9800 and 9900 apart from slightly lower capacity?