Quantcast

Big Bear 12 hr (August 2nd) ???

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I did it two years ago. My thoughts...

It's a pretty grueling course with all the climbing up front pretty much. The Ol' National Hike-a-bike claims a few victims each lap. Going up the switchbacks on Fern trail hurts...everytime! It is always GAWD AWFUL HOT!

If elevation normally bothers you, it will be no different that weekend. Drink PLENTY of water and keep up the nutrition or you will cramp big time.

Good luck if you go!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Oh yah, if you are looking for another race option that weekend, Vail Lake in Temecula is holding another race that same day!:thumb:

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
I am going to do it this year. Was originally going to do a Steel Class(2 man), but decided I ride better if I just stay on my bike. So I decided to go solo. Let the hurt begin.

Pre-rode the course the weekend of the Nationals.....fun course. Not nearly as bad as some people had described. I didn't have much troube with the elevation. However, the temp was cool. Raceday should be pretty frickin' hot.

mtnbikej

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Hey mtnbikej, thanks for the info. You didn't happen to do the 24hr race in Temecula did you? I'm hoping for a course comparison between the two. I'm considering doing it solo as well.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ghostrider
Hey mtnbikej, thanks for the info. You didn't happen to do the 24hr race in Temecula did you? I'm hoping for a course comparison between the two. I'm considering doing it solo as well.
Course comparison - not as much climbing. Vail was like 1900' right? BB is probably only around 1200'. The DH parts at Vail were waaaay more fun. BB has waaaaay less singletrack. More opportunities to pass at BB. Not as big (if any) of a hike-a-bike at BB. The entire course is rideable but not if you're tired.

Good luck!

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Originally posted by Heidi
Course comparison - not as much climbing. Vail was like 1900' right? BB is probably only around 1200'. The DH parts at Vail were waaaay more fun. BB has waaaaay less singletrack. More opportunities to pass at BB. Not as big (if any) of a hike-a-bike at BB. The entire course is rideable but not if you're tired.

Good luck!
Looks like there may only be the one hike-a-bike on Fern. Otherwise everything else is ridable. Total evelation from bottom to top is between 1100 and 1200 ft. Most of the climbing happens at the beginning of the lap. Downhills are mostly fireroad, some singletrack.

mtnbikej

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
If I can scrape up enough money I am doing it. Did the Brianhead 100 last weekend and it was ultra expensive. I am on financial lockdown now.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by RockTumbler
If I can scrape up enough money I am doing it. Did the Brianhead 100 last weekend and it was ultra expensive. I am on financial lockdown now.
Sooooo - how did it go dude? (Brianhead)

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
So how did you do? You got any pics to share? Hooked up with a good guy named Pete and did the Duo... we got 8th... not too shabby for my 2nd race. Did you do the solo?

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I wimped out. I did a ride three weeks ago to check my fitness. I did about half the distance and elevation (about 50 miles, 8500 feet) and I was pooped. I bonked to the point where I ground to a halt and fell over. And that was at sea level. So I decided I wasn't ready for a solo effort, and I couldn't find a last minute duo, so I dropped it. Not sure what is next on the agenda - looking at the Idylwild 24 hour, but I'm not sure what's up with my team these days.

Congrats on your results - how was the course?

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
The course was mainly fireroad. The downhill claimed some XCers... although not too technical some spots were overgrown with prairie grass that you sometimes had split second surprises... sure wipeouts for panic brakers... one guy that camped next to us suffered a broken clavicle and a head injury... I had a lot of fun at this event. People were pretty cool. Yeah I plan on doing the 24 hour Idyllwild[first one] and my group does it every year but this year is looking sparse for participation.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Originally posted by RockTumbler
The course was mainly fireroad. The downhill claimed some XCers... although not too technical some spots were overgrown with prairie grass that you sometimes had split second surprises... sure wipeouts for panic brakers... one guy that camped next to us suffered a broken clavicle and a head injury... I had a lot of fun at this event. People were pretty cool. Yeah I plan on doing the 24 hour Idyllwild[first one] and my group does it every year but this year is looking sparse for participation.
Yeah, the course was fun.....all except that damn pavement climb up to the fire road. Nothing like riding on fresh new hot blacktop. Nothing really technical on the course. The new little downhill section that went through the grass was fast, but beat me up by the end of the day.

This is was the first time I had done the 12hr at Summit. Went solo my first time. Got in 7 laps....was hoping for 8. Ended up 11th out of 18....not too bad for the first time. Oh, well there is always next year.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Next year I will not be doing on the hardtail. Definatley full suspension. My back was killing me by the end of the day.

mtnbikej

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
7 laps is great dude. Me and my teammate did 13 laps... 7 for me and 6 for him. It was awesome! We were pretty close to possibly getting 14 in. I think i have a better strategy for next year... you learn alot just watching others do things.