Quantcast

Big Bear News

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
This is rumor/gossip/whatever you want to call it. This is probably speculation so do not go crazy emailing BB, etc.

A friend of mine owns a cabin in BB and has been riding up there all summer. He said he has heard talk of reopening the mountain to DH if the lawsuit ends favorably for BB.

Again, this is just hearsay, but thought everyone should know as it could affect Baldy, etc.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
roberts said:
This is rumor/gossip/whatever you want to call it. This is probably speculation so do not go crazy emailing BB, etc.

A friend of mine owns a cabin in BB and has been riding up there all summer. He said he has heard talk of reopening the mountain to DH if the lawsuit ends favorably for BB.

Again, this is just hearsay, but thought everyone should know as it could affect Baldy, etc.
It won't have any effect on Baldy. What would be nice is if both places were open to DH bikes. Then we would have two places to choose from and competition between resorts.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
Plus, I would much rather drive 1:15 to Baldy vs. 2 hours to Summit, and less mtn. driving. Also, from the Baldy photos, we should be able to build some extremely technical, super fun trails.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Grizzle said:
Yeah, alot of the baldy stuff looks pretty gnarl atm though, its gonna take a good amount of work.
Yup, and I'm gonna need a few band-aids after ragdolling down the mountain a few runs :D

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
roberts said:

To be honest, I don't think that the lawsuit will end favorably for Big Bear. Although, from what I understand, the locals are not happy with Snow Summit's decisions to ban DH bikes. It has hit a lot of the local shops, hotels, etc. pretty hard this summer.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Snow Summit has proven to be spineless, scapegoating corporate scum. I don't care if they open up for DH again, the trails are s**t. I feel bad for the town of Big Bear, but I will NOT forget that S.S. left us high and dry. Bring on Mt. Baldy.

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
blt2ride said:
To be honest, I don't think that the lawsuit will end favorably for Big Bear. Although, from what I understand, the locals are not happy with Snow Summit's decisions to ban DH bikes. It has hit a lot of the local shops, hotels, etc. pretty hard this summer.
I would say the legal battle is 50-50. I could see SS and their insurance companies having much better legal resources and representation than your average Joe.

I don't think there is enough downhillers in Socal for two places to stay open. Maybe some competition in the DH market will force the respective places to build better and more maintained trails.

Hopefully something happens soon. I can tell that my riding has suffered without lift access. :nopity:

Zark said:
Snow Summit has proven to be spineless, scapegoating corporate scum. I don't care if they open up for DH again, the trails are s**t. I feel bad for the town of Big Bear, but I will NOT forget that S.S. left us high and dry. Bring on Mt. Baldy.

Tru dat and anyone who knows the mtn. also knows the best and worthy trails are the illegal ones so even if they did open with albeit more scrutiny it wouldn't be worth it to only ride log chute,westridge and summit all day.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
LOOnatic said:
Tru dat and anyone who knows the mtn. also knows the best and worthy trails are the illegal ones so even if they did open with albeit more scrutiny it wouldn't be worth it to only ride log chute,westridge and summit all day.
And they will do nothing to make them more interesting to the riders. Because summer operation is such a waste of money :nopity:

With inside drama with Team Big Bear (who I have no love for either) I don't see racing returning either.

So what would you get? the same 3 crappy runs as ever with no races, no improvements and no maintenance at a resort that doesn't appreciate us at all. That would be great :eviltongu

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
GunShow? said:
I don't think there is enough downhillers in Socal for two places to stay open. Maybe some competition in the DH market will force the respective places to build better and more maintained trails.
Are thre enough DHers in Tahoe? Mammoth? No, people travel to get to those places just as they did for SS and just as they will for Baldy. So Cal has one of the largest DH populations in the nation, not to mention all the manufacturers. "If you build it, they will come".

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
AnotherMike said:
Are thre enough DHers in Tahoe? Mammoth? No, people travel to get to those places just as they did for SS and just as they will for Baldy. So Cal has one of the largest DH populations in the nation, not to mention all the manufacturers. "If you build it, they will come".
I think you completely missed my point.

People travel to Mammoth and Tahoe, yes, I agree. Does it help that they are resort towns and that they are hundreds of miles apart?? My point was 2 DH spots within an hour drive of each other will dilute the riding at both places. If there is to be a DH park at Baldy, you better hope that SS doesn't re-open. The trails might be crappy, but people will still go there, myself included.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
GunShow? said:
I think you completely missed my point.

People travel to Mammoth and Tahoe, yes, I agree. Does it help that they are resort towns and that they are hundreds of miles apart?? My point was 2 DH spots within an hour drive of each other will dilute the riding at both places. If there is to be a DH park at Baldy, you better hope that SS doesn't re-open. The trails might be crappy, but people will still go there, myself included.
OK, I missed part of your point but I willask you this: if you go to SS and find that they have the same 3 crappy trails then you go to Baldy and find better and more trails, why would you go back to SS?

Baldy is going to offer more trails and better trails, though we likely won't have much in the way of beginner trails. (The terrain just does not lend itself very well to begginer trails.) So you have a choice... same old SS or sick gnar trails at Baldy. Which do you prefer?

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
AnotherMike said:
agreed. not to mention the fact that having more high quality lift access trails will naturally attract more local riders to the sport.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Riff Raff said:
Noah your just bitter, But when they re-open your shill welcome to stay at my place. :evil:

-H
I'm bitter? Is that why girls make that face when I.....umm nevermind :p

Baldy has a lot of potential and is over an hour closer to me. The only stuff I rode at S.S. is....well you know. We'll see if I ever make it to S.S. again. I'll wait for some real news and a real show of good faith (trails that don't suck)

EDIT: specificity

Tonycalves

Monkey
Feb 16, 2005
PB SanDiego/NYC
Both can work, in the north east you have Plattekill and Diablo and they're only 2 hours apart. That forced the newer Diablo to step it up. The next thing you know Plattekill is working on their mountian. The riders win.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
having a venue generates new users. When people think to themselves, "should I get a DH bike?" the first question they ask is "how often will I use it?" If that number goes from once a year to once a week, you can expect to see more riders in the area. there is no finite pool of dh lunatics in this city, and the burbs at the base of the mountain already have a ton of riders who will now be looking at a 30 min drive to a sweet spot.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Zark said:
And they will do nothing to make them more interesting to the riders. Because summer operation is such a waste of money :nopity:

With inside drama with Team Big Bear (who I have no love for either) I don't see racing returning either.

So what would you get? the same 3 crappy runs as ever with no races, no improvements and no maintenance at a resort that doesn't appreciate us at all. That would be great :eviltongu

Whats the inside drama with TBB?