Quantcast

big bear petition - sign up!

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
ridecruz888 said:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/downhill/petition.html

It probably wont change anything but stand up and be heard anyway.
Money talks so feel free to mention how much money you spent in the Big Bear area (use comments area)
Spread the word, it can't hurt.

also, feel free to post this on other mtb sites
Sorry but this isn't going to change anything. I'd guess that downhillers make up a very very small percentage of total visitors to snow summit. From a business standpoint, why would they bother with downhill if it's going to be a liability issue for them? What we need is tort reform in this country.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
WheelieMan said:
Sorry but this isn't going to change anything. I'd guess that downhillers make up a very very small percentage of total visitors to snow summit. From a business standpoint, why would they bother with downhill if it's going to be a liability issue for them? What we need is tort reform in this country.
Everything starts somewhere. I don't think anybody from RM is going to be torting any reforms today.

BUMP

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Nay-sayers can pack it where the sun don't go. We need to at least try. I've been an off-roader for my entire life (almost). We fight the same type of thing endlessly. Sometimes we win one.

Mammoth is waaay freakin far to drive! Besides my friend has a house in BB.

Chris

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Speaking of mammoth...mammoth motocross got shutdown after a billion years, but after petitions the race is back on. (theres more to the story on that, but thats it in a nutshell)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ok, heres the info from mammoth site, little different situation than we face, but proof that change is possible.

The tradition continues June 16-26, 2005 when the Ford Mammoth Motocross swings open the gates to the famed track. Many said it couldn't be done, but through the cooperation of many entities, the Mammoth Motocross is alive and well.

After 37 years of Motocross racing history in Mammoth Lakes, the 2004 event was billed as the "Last Annual" after the Ski Area was informed that a permit would no longer be issued to the event organizer. Since then, the Town of Mammoth Lakes, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area and the US Forest Service have been working together to keep the race intact. The new proposal allows the Town to hold the event permit and the Ski Area to run the annual race during the traditional two week time period in June. This is great news for the generations of racers and spectators that have built family traditions around this annual gathering.

"We are very proud of this accomplishment. Especially, in this era when riding areas and tracks are being taken away from motocross riders everyday," said Mike Colbert, Mammoth Motocross Event Director. "Perseverance and cooperation made this a reality and we are very happy to be opening the gates to the track for riders to enjoy during the event. Our heartfelt thanks for the overwhelming support during this process."

Check out the following timeline for all the details on how, through the cooperation of the Town, racers, Mammoth Mountain and US Forest Service, we got the race back.

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
hey guys thanks alot it went from 50 yesterday up to 140 today...i think ill put it up on hcore, bustedspoke, and pinkbike if no one already has..

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
It is still hard for me to grasp the fact that we might never ride at Snow Summit again. I signed and am getting the word out. Snow Summit/Big Bear was one of the most historically significant venue for mountainbikes in North America. This subject still bumms me out :stosh:

-Bump

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
I have a friend in BB that has been spreading this petition around to everyone he knows (as have I). We were thinking that the business people in BB need to have a say in what happens on the mountain too. Shop owners need to be convinced that our money is their money, but only if we are there in the summer to spend it.

We got lots of talking to do up there.

Chris

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was just starting to race this year and I can only go to the Sea Otter or The Chamberlin/Firestone race. I was planning on doing a number of races and doing a lot of riding at Big Bear. I was going to go soon , but it was suddenly shut down. Big Bear would be a safer and more fun place for downhillers to go to instead of multi-user trails. Re-opening it would be better for everyone.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
WheelieMan said:

One word:

give it a try!

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
161 signatures thats weak everyone on this site should sign it...someone should post this up on other sites i only have a pinkbike and nsmb membership and those canucks porbally dont care but put this up on mtbr..they should post this as a news article so it will get some attention...even non downhillers should be concerned cause trail access is the same 4 everyone in most areas it wont be long before they close the trails 4 everyone

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Duzitall said:
That's right, it even affects the people who ride the lifts to sight see in the summer. Come on monkeys SIGN IT! :dancing:
The chair lift is still open to them. I don't think the looky loo's will miss us much.
But I agree, please sign it. Can't hurt

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Dave,

Word on the hill is that the lifts will not be running at all. Skeleton crew only only. And security I would suppose.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Metal said:
I just signed up and just got some friends to do so.
How's about bringing some of your 'metal-nes' to the table and jedi mind tricking them into re-opening. In my best Luke Skywalker voice... "TBB, you will let us on tha chairlifts, there will be no charge..."

Oh, get a real bike please. :blah:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I just signed it. There's 329 signitures. We can surely do better than that. It only takes about 10 seconds to sign, so do it!

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
If Big Bear would put 1 ounce of effort into turning the mountain into a summer park, then they'd have more than 12 downhillers there on the weekend and could afford to pay the law suites that can't be avoided. That place is dead, not because of lawsuits, becuase lack of effort. I'll sign the thing anyway..

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
wow...I know its only been a few days, but I am amazed at the lack of sigs...not as strong of an industry/sport as I once thought. I fwd it to my phat industry email list and I just did a quick browse on the site to see, not ONE that I emailed has signed-Funny how all the industry asshats WORK in the business but never do anything to try to make a change-ever.
Sad...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
could it be maybe because they DON'T want to sign it....maybe they will not sign it because it will turn out to be the same 'ol sh!t different pile....D

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Sgt Brown said:
If Big Bear would put 1 ounce of effort into turning the mountain into a summer park, then they'd have more than 12 downhillers there on the weekend and could afford to pay the law suites that can't be avoided. That place is dead, not because of lawsuits, becuase lack of effort. I'll sign the thing anyway..

Then you would probably complain that it's too crowded. :nopity:

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
If this petition actually does anything I will be extremely shocked. Who WOULDN'T want Big Bear to be open for DH? Big Bear is very aware of the impact this will have on the sport, but the fact is, they don't really care, otherwise they would have done something already.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
WheelieMan said:
If this petition actually does anything I will be extremely shocked. Who WOULDN'T want Big Bear to be open for DH? Big Bear is very aware of the impact this will have on the sport, but the fact is, they don't really care, otherwise they would have done something already.
Big Bear, or more specifically, SNOW SUMMIT is a business. They are not here to care about you or me or to provide us with a service or to help promote a sport. They are here to make money. Plain and simple. They are not going to reopen untill the money to be made is to great to pass up. They can probably make more money on a decent winter weekend than they do all summer... with fewer lawsuits. I am surprised it lasted this long.

The time to do something was during the last 10 years...

But I signed the petition. I would love it if ANY ski resort would open to DH.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Ciaran said:
Big Bear, or more specifically, SNOW SUMMIT is a business. They are not here to care about you or me or to provide us with a service or to help promote a sport. They are here to make money. Plain and simple. They are not going to reopen untill the money to be made is to great to pass up. They can probably make more money on a decent winter weekend than they do all summer... with fewer lawsuits. I am surprised it lasted this long.

The time to do something was during the last 10 years...

But I signed the petition. I would love it if ANY ski resort would open to DH.

The first thing any business class teaches is that a business will only survive if it has a product that is either attractive or necessary. Big Bear does not have an integral product, and they certainly never did anything to make their product more visible or attractive.
An analogy would be their winter operation. If they did not invest heavily in rentals, snow making equipment, terrain parks, etc, there would not be a winter season, either.
So, is there some 'other' reason why they never invested in this sport? I think it stems from a complete lack of leadership and foresight in the management. I am bummed that BB is now closed, and I'm willing to put forth effort to try and make something happen, but the powers that be at BB can go take a flyin leap into hell for all I care.

And, as far as your comments go, try and say something constructive instead of conjecturing about something you know nothing about.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
BMXman said:
could it be maybe because they DON'T want to sign it....maybe they will not sign it because it will turn out to be the same 'ol sh!t different pile....D
Of couse it is not going to do anything-that is not the point. THe point is to show what kind of voice we (riders and industry) people have, which is showing to be none. Pat yourselves on the back.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
I did not sign it and I will not sign it for 3 specific reasons.

First, The statement as it is presented is not in my opinion accurate. The well-being of this sport was threatened long before the closure of BB. Saying that closure of "these sites can be permantly avoided by means of more responsible trail use" is very vague, but despite its vagueness is still able to be inaccurate. Responsible trail use, meaning riding only on Forest Service approved trails (and many alterations to the trails, including race courses were outside the lines of approval from the Forest Service), would result in even less draw than in previous years. Which leads to my second reson for not signing. It's simply not financially feasible to run a dh mountain without pouring a lot of time and effort and investment money into the project. Snow Summit isn't willing to do it, and the Forest Service wouldn't let them even if SS were willing. So riding trails responsibly isn't going to do jack sh!t. Money talks, and having a few hundred people promise to spend a couple thousand bucks over the course of 4 months is honestly laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see BB re-open and present us with some challenging, usable trails that are well-maintained. A petition won't do it. Garnering support from actual business owners might be a better use of effort. Property owners, hotels, restaurants, bike shops, bars.... Still, I doubt you're going to see too many business owners telling us that they really really miss the dh crowd during the summer. We're simply not a large enough presence to justify the expense and effort.