Quantcast

Big Bear Review

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Good for those of us that just had a kid and can't drive 4-5 hours to Mammoth. Definitely not the best riding, but not bad either.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Now that they knocked out all the good stuff in the forest, it's definitely pretty "meh" as you stated.

The appeal still exists that it is close to LA.

SCARY

Not long enough
They did put ALOT of time and money into it.Thats obvious,and I can see where beginners would benefit from it. Im sure they have a bigger plan with it all,and to be honest,i never liked the place back when i race there a decade ago.I think i did hit 2 rocks per run though.

This whole flow trail,bike park stuff is gonna kill DH.
I know I'm old and old school,but it seems like EVERY "extreme" sport gets dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
But,I have knee surgery In a couple weeks and figured I'd give it a whirl since I'll be out for a while.
It gave me more appreciation for our only lift assist in the state,Sunrise Ski Resort.Which,we tend to bag on pretty hard ,for various reasons.But it sure kicked Big Bears butt as far as being more DH and natural terrain and technical.

While I'm at it...You don't have to Strava and go pro every ,single ,thing you ride. I remember just riding sometimes.
I don't know.
I don't ride park and I'm probably not faster than you,either.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There was some legit stuff to ride there, but it all got decommissioned. No cake and eating it too, I guess. Hopefully they will add in some techy stuff.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They did put ALOT of time and money into it.Thats obvious,and I can see where beginners would benefit from it. Im sure they have a bigger plan with it all
Well, at the beginning of the summer they announced their intent to sell the place. Apparently the owners kids have no interest in taking over the business, and since they've neglected the summer season for the last decade, they needed to show it as a profit center. So, with a minimal amount of upfront investment into some "safe" trails, they drew hordes of crowds.

Hopefully, it is showing some investor/potential owner that there is huge untapped potential revenue in the summer season, and someone capitalizes on it.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Now that they knocked out all the good stuff in the forest, it's definitely pretty "meh" as you stated.

The appeal still exists that it is close to LA.
As long as they didn't scare off Big Foot I am all for going back I need to grab an image of him ASAP. Then maybe I can "retire" and find time to ride.....