Quantcast

big bear/snow summit

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
hey guys, my friends and i have been looking into some more mountain riding(we ride mostly djish stuff) and we came across big bear. i have heard conflicting stories as to whether the park is still open or not. on one hand i have heard that you can ride there with bikes under six inches of travel but no lift to take you to the top, second i have heard that you can ride there with bikes under six inches of travel and there is a lift to take you to the top, and lastly i have heard that it is closed completely because of a lawsuit. what have you guys heard????

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
yup, basically XC/AM stuff from what I understand. They also have a 2.5 tire limit and there is no riding on any of the ski slopes. Plenty of small trails and fire roads to zoom through... get a map.

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
for me being in huntington beach would it be worth the 2hour drive for me and my friends, we only ride light freeride and dj and are just looking for some fun more mountain oriented stuff?

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I love Summit. Just great trail riding with little to no climbing. Nothing there constitutes a "big bike" although I saw a few 8" plus and DCs up on the lifts. If you do decide to bring a big bike, just dont look like you're up to no good and they probably wont sweat you. The ladies at the bottom told me that this was their busiest off-season in awhile, so they may be getting a bit more laxed as far as travel and weight, but I guess it depends on who's manning the lifts that day.

There are plenty of great singletracks to be had which you can find on the map but also lots of great "hidden" treasures by asking some locals or just exploring (PM if interested). Some are just steep, loose and rocky while some are littered w/ fun little stunts.

I say its well worth the drive if you're just looking for some good ol' fashion fun w/o having to granny up hills. If you want more doubles, drops and tech DH, save up money for the gas to Mammoth or Northstar.

bwolmarans

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
The Angels, Kalifornia
last year the didn't weigh the bikes, I don't think they're doing it this year either. I think just show up with no dual crown fork. Whatever just go to mammoth it's so much better.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
I just came back from Mammoth. Such a great place. :weee:

As for Big Bear, I started going there a little more often this year, and they seem very relaxed about the bikes being allowed. My bike doesn't pass a single category, yet, they allow it to go up... besides for the fact that they complain about it being heavy, lol.

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
ya mammoth is definately amazing, i really want to go back, the only reason i ask big bear is because we cant drive yet and we want to do some real mountain riding since most of our stuff is dj