Quantcast

Big Betty vs Wicked Will vs Fat Albert

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I am looking for a rear tyre to start running on the rear around October when things dry up. I normaly run a 2.35 GG MM front and 2.4 triple BB rear and I plan to continue with this combination for FR and DH, awesome setup. The BB rolls reasonably well but wears a little fast on milage rides so I would like to try a different set for aggresive AM and trail riding. One of my favorites for this type of riding is a high roller front and advantage rear but after denting my rear wheel I want to go up in volume. The 2.25" advantage is the same size as the 2.5 HR so I cant really go to 2.4 out back and I am not convinced about the advantage up front. For its weaight the BB in 2.4 is also amazing with great side wall strength. The advantage is thin!
I have to cover about 5 miles of tarmac to get to the trails and back and then its mostly hard pack and should be dry for the winter. I would like something that rolls well but still breaks reasonably solid. Good for climbing but still has durability since I will have to concentrate on milage through the winter, its dark before and after work. FR and DH will be weekends mostly and then I can change wheel sets.
As I expect most FR DH riders do, I ride hard even when doing milage and dont hold back through the rocks etc. I have no experience with FA or WW to compare with BBs. I really dig my MM up front and cant remmber how the BB felt since its been over a year. DO you run BB front when/if you run WW/BB?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I was riding a Wicked Will Vertstar 2.35 rear and a Muddy Mary Goey Gluey 2.35 front yesterday and I liked it a lot. I prefer the Wicked Will over the Big Betty as a rear and the Fat Albert is not comparable.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Cheers Buckow

I have a Triple BB on now which is looking tired. I have a half used BB in GGluey so if the FA is a no go then I can safely pick up a WW to try? I cant get my mind to get that Muddy Mary of the front cause its perfect but I may have to try a BB up front again. Any other suggesttions for matching a WW on the rear for mostly hard pack, milage and then some FR and DH on the way?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
No problem Rhubarb.

I was loving a Muddy Mary GG 2.35 on the front yesterday. It is steep here and lots of times a mix of dry and dusty in the big berms and wet and rooty in the forest. I run either a Muddy Mary 2.35 or a Dirty Dan up front and either a Muddy Mary GG 2.35 in the back or a Wicked Will 2.35 Vertstar depending on how wet the trails are. I stopped running the BB when I got some WW tires. I like the WW when it is dry.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
No problem Rhubarb.

I was loving a Muddy Mary GG 2.35 on the front yesterday. It is steep here and lots of times a mix of dry and dusty in the big berms and wet and rooty in the forest. I run either a Muddy Mary 2.35 or a Dirty Dan up front and either a Muddy Mary GG 2.35 in the back or a Wicked Will 2.35 Vertstar depending on how wet the trails are. I stopped running the BB when I got some WW tires. I like the WW when it is dry.
Bucko - Is there any condition that the Big Betty excels in?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i use bb's as my year round shore tire (loam to hardpack to slimy rocky/rooty), and i've found them to be great allrounders. low rolling resistance yet predictably grippy. usually run a tripple on the rear for wear resistance in the summer, then a gg for the wet seasons (triple compound an be a bit sketch in the wet). always run the gg in front. great tires with a good weight to durability ratio.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Vertstar?
The newer tires are called a Vertstar for DH with sticky rubber like a GG but with triple compound I believe.

I like the Big Betty GG in dry desert like conditions when I have a hard time getting traction. I prefer the Wiched Will GG if it is dry but fast and cornering hard. I also run them backwards from recommended direction on the WW.