Quantcast

bIg Betty

Oct 14, 2007
Could someone use schwalbe's Big Betty as a Back Dh tire even thought it may not have a dh casin and is foldable?

Could it be used for the front instead? or just not a dh tire

let me know

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Not an easy answer. Depends what terrain your DH contains, how you ride, and what tire pressure you can handle.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
with a bit more pressure than a double wall tire, they can be surprisingly decent dh treads (again for the right terrain & rider). i've used them for the last year up here & love them. losing a lb of rotating weight per tire (over dh treads of comperable tread / width) is a surprising difference; can really transform a bike (only if they hold up for you, of course).

ajay

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne, AUS
Our shop team runs Schwalbe tyres. I cant give them enough priase. We use Big Betty's as our regular DH tyre (ill to do a little research on this) but ours are actual DH specific tyres wich also have a dual ply casing - albeit not as strong as a maxxis, but ive not yet flatted. I find they skate around on hard pack a little, but are very predictable and easy to control. They are also super fast!

Get some, but ensure you get the DH specific version.

Oct 14, 2007
Our shop team runs Schwalbe tyres. I cant give them enough priase. We use Big Betty's as our regular DH tyre (ill to do a little research on this) but ours are actual DH specific tyres wich also have a dual ply casing - albeit not as strong as a maxxis, but ive not yet flatted. I find they skate around on hard pack a little, but are very predictable and easy to control. They are also super fast!

Get some, but ensure you get the DH specific version.
thats the thing i got the foldable freeride version....:disgust:

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Amazing tire! I ran a folding one on the front of my Nomad, and it was awesome.

I ran pretty high pressure and never pinched.

Oct 14, 2007
Amazing tire! I ran a folding one on the front of my Nomad, and it was awesome.

I ran pretty high pressure and never pinched.
Is it safe to say it rides very well as a front tire to the extent where it can perform very well if put in that position?

Oct 14, 2007
The Big Betty comes in a DH casing according to their website

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1358

There's a lot of variables no one can guess (where you ride, what kind of psi you run, style, etc). The information you've provided is useless to give any recommendation really.
The thing is the schwalbe distributor can't get the tire in the non folding

Basically i have 2 tires: the big betty [2.4 folding]
Muddy Mary [2.5 Wire Bead]

I know i should put the bigger tire in front, but that would mean i would leave a foldable big betty in the back

I am running stan's no tubes rim strips in my rims so there will not be any tubes

I normaly run 30 psi in my tires and i ride DH in the east of Canada

now can u help me? I can always buy different tire if recommended....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
running the betty for a year now. i had it on my bottlerocket, then moved over to my UFO ST. the tire is great. it is very predictable. it is quite durable, particularly in light of the sub 900g weight. i've run it at whistler, on the shore, in Mammoth, in AZ, for XC rides... the list goes on. i don't think about it ever. it just sits there and does the job. mine is beat now and is due for a change.

i've run mine mainly as a rear and it works wonders there. i tried it as a front and was less impressed. as a rear, it does need a few extra psi to keep from pinching. in super-gnar, you would probably want to have a thicker tire to prevent flats. that said, i had almost no flats with it on the rear for the better part of the year i have been running it. lately, though, the sidewall has lost some toughness from seeing so much trail time.

Oct 14, 2007
running the betty for a year now. i had it on my bottlerocket, then moved over to my UFO ST. the tire is great. it is very predictable. it is quite durable, particularly in light of the sub 900g weight. i've run it at whistler, on the shore, in Mammoth, in AZ, for XC rides... the list goes on. i don't think about it ever. it just sits there and does the job. mine is beat now and is due for a change.

i've run mine mainly as a rear and it works wonders there. i tried it as a front and was less impressed. as a rear, it does need a few extra psi to keep from pinching. in super-gnar, you would probably want to have a thicker tire to prevent flats. that said, i had almost no flats with it on the rear for the better part of the year i have been running it. lately, though, the sidewall has lost some toughness from seeing so much trail time.

great that was alot of of help what was the other tire you were running?

just to make sure were you using the foldable or wire bead in the back?

how much psi were you running?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
glad it was good info for you. i'm running the folding bead with the ORC compound (not the ooey-gooey). i've heard that the gooey compound is quite soft and i don't know that i need the extra traction in the rear.

i ran it around 30-35psi most of the time. it may have gone lower as air leaked over time. i ran relatively light tubes too. i tried some super light XC tubes and they held for a while. much of the riding i was doing was more trail than DH-gnar at the time.

any more questions? i'm happy to elaborate.

Oct 14, 2007
glad it was good info for you. i'm running the folding bead with the ORC compound (not the ooey-gooey). i've heard that the gooey compound is quite soft and i don't know that i need the extra traction in the rear.

i ran it around 30-35psi most of the time. it may have gone lower as air leaked over time. i ran relatively light tubes too. i tried some super light XC tubes and they held for a while. much of the riding i was doing was more trail than DH-gnar at the time.

any more questions? i'm happy to elaborate.
what was the other tire you had in the front???

I have a muddy marry...but its a wire bead i was thinking of putting it in the front?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i was running a maxxis advantage in the front for a while. i just switched to a wtb prowler mx (the race light version) in the front.

i know nothing of the muddy marry.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
any other opinions?
Seriously, I apologize because I don't know why your thread annoys me so much, but my opinion is just ride it and see what you think!!! It's a tire, not a $2000 frame! If you made a mistake sell it for a few bucks, lose a few bucks, and move on.