Quantcast

Big Bike and Med-Big Bike Suggestions?

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I hate threads like these but I'm bored so what the hell...

Budget: $3000
Preferences: Horst/4-bar preferred. New w/decent warranty.
Riding Style: I ride more DH than FR but it should be capable of technical rocky northeast style riding. Beginner/intermediate downhiller. Long time hardtail rider riding an all-mountain HT now. I'm 6'5" and 240 pounds.

My current choices have been narrowed....

Norco A-Line (currently at top of list)
Kona Stab Deluxe (like Stinky, only longer TT, no brakejack)
Norco Six Two
Specialized SX Trail 1 (pricey for no rebound adj on fork)
Kona Stinky Deluxe (brakejacks, seems short cockpit even in XL)
Specialized BigHit 3 (crappy fork mean I want it for $2500 max)
Kona Stinky (go cheap, upgrade fork to 888RC2?)

Thoughts? Any other brands I should consider?

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
You mean the Gran Mal?

I didn't know Transition did complete bikes, but I just checked and the Dirtbag is $2800 which is pretty good. Too bad about the color though. Jesus is that blue ugly.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
i would highly reccomend the aline. i put that bike though alot of abuse and theres yet to be anything seriously wrong with it. im not sure how it would fit a big guy like you though, you would have to test ride it and find out.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know it's not on your list, but the Iron Horse 7point7 is a bad ass bike. I have not ridden a Sunday yet, but if it feels anything like the 7point7, either would be excelent choices.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I found an '03 Azonic Recoil for dirt cheap. It's the 18" one. I think it might be a bit small for you, but if you're into smaller frames for DHing, then it might fly. I'm 6' and ride this size, and prefer a semi-large fit. I also picked up a Monster T2 for cheap and an Avy for the ass-end. She's a full blown Horst, licensed from Specialized. This thing is my winter project. The only thing I'm short on is a good crankset/BB. She'll be a bit on the hefty side w/ that big fork. But I think for someone of your size, this combo might work out well... my $0.02 fer ya.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
The Iron Horse DW bikes look sweet. Last I checked the 7Point7 and Sunday were both $3500 and up? The only thing I don't like about the 7Point7 is the goofy bent top tube that looks like a very fat man sat on it.

I'm not sure what I think of shorter cockpit bikes for DH. I spent two days last month riding a Stab Garbonzo (think Stinky, with a single chainring) size L at a ski resort. 22.7" top tube according to Kona. It seemed a touch cramped but I eventually started to get used to it. Plus the rear shock was too soft so I found myself pulling some SICK unintended manuals (that made me crap my pants). But maybe I'm just not used to riding a big bike? Seemed like I had to stay far more centered over the bike than I do on my hardtail otherwise it handled like hell.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
HotButterToppin said:
The Iron Horse DW bikes look sweet. Last I checked the 7Point7 and Sunday were both $3500 and up? The only thing I don't like about the 7Point7 is the goofy bent top tube that looks like a very fat man sat on it.
My LBS sold a 7point7 for $2600. The U-Turn boxxer was crap, but the bike as a whole was sweet. I didn't care for the looks at first either, but after riding it, I was sold. I just bought a Kumicho, but if I had to do it all over again...

I still say the DW link looks week as hell, but proof is in the ride, and it is good!

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Know where to snag prices on the 06 Iron Horse range? Looks like they're running Marz 66's now which is a fork I'd prefer.

Side note: Anyone else hate it when the bike maker doesn't post the retail price on their site? Grrr.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
FWIW, I test rode a 7point and although it pedaled great, even the large felt like a kiddie bike on me (I'm 6'4"). Maybe a 100mm stem would help, but that would whack everything else out, I think. If you like the A-Line, check out an 05 Six (XL, if you can find one).

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
if you like lawwill designs, the Rotec RL-9 is supposed to be great

For horst link, look into the Sinister R9 - those are built on the east coast, so they can probably take care of you

The Canfield F1 is another good choice for a floating rear triangle bike

Sep 10, 2001
Hot Butter,
I know this is spam, but hey, a guy has got to eat...

It's not a 4-bar, but I got the floater and I am close to your size so the fit should be good... Check the link in my sig...

Brian

Aug 14, 2005
New York
Well, i personally think that the DW link is amazing. I ride a 7 point 3 with a sherman breakout plus, while it may not be the best dh rig, if you were to slide a bigger dual crown on there, it feels almost exacly like a sunday. I think that the DW is the best linkage on the market today because, it is very active over small bumps, yet it is very ignorant to pedalling and braking forces. Much more active than a 4 bar and much more intelligent than an FSR.