Quantcast

Big bikes on the big island?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
So I've got an epic month planned for February, and I want all of it to involve my bike. I'm going to the big Island in Hawaii for a week, then going to NZ for a few weeks directly following that.

The question is: Do I fly into Hilo with my bike, ride a couple days while I'm there, and then pack it back up and fly to NZ? Or do I fly into Hilo, fly back to Seattle and pick up my bike, then hop on a plane the next day and fly to NZ? It's cheaper to fly to seattle RT, then to Auckland RT than it is to make one big loop.

The answer I need: If there's decent riding in Hawaii, then I'll gladly deal with the hassle of bringing my bike there and I get the bonus of fewer hours in the air.

Do I bring the big bike to the big island?

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
www.dhhawaii.com

The guys Hawaii are great. Best hospitality I'v experienced. I raced a superD and hit St. Louis in Oahu this year. Def worth renting and hittn some gnar.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
Oahu and Big Island are different. I saw alot of Tri bikes on the Big Island but not so much in the way of trail bikes when i was there. I don't think there is a military base on the Big Island at least I didn't see one when I was there so the person you speak of had to have been on Oahu where there probably is a bit more riding going on it. At least thats what it looks like to me when I checked out the recommended site. It looked like it is for Oahu only and not other islands too I could be wrong didn't get to in dept into the site just skimming through it. I would love to hear about DH on the Big Island though it would be awesome to know that they have something like that on the Big Island.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I live on Maui and have never ridden on the Big Island. Having said that, I get the impression that there is riding but not shuttling. You'd need a FR bike. Also, I think it is mostly secretish trails on private land.
Hopefully someone can offer better advice who's FBI (From Big Island).

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've been there twice, and just borrowed my buddies xc bike. I swear there has to be some dh riding on the big island (after seeing some of the landscape) but both times all I could find were the xc trails, which weren't too impressive.
If you could make it to a different island with your big bike, it would probably be more worth it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I live on Maui and have never ridden on the Big Island. Having said that, I get the impression that there is riding but not shuttling. You'd need a FR bike. Also, I think it is mostly secretish trails on private land.
Hopefully someone can offer better advice who's FBI (From Big Island).
Tell Paul I still hate him dearly for canceling my DH shuttle from the top of the volcano on the only day I could go. Nothing says suck like planning your first ever 10k DH on a tropical island, only to have the shop owner cancel b/c his buddies didn't want to go.

WBC, if I'm not wrong your flight is going to land on Maui anyway either before or after the big island, so maybe hook up with Paul at Crater Cycles and rent one of his FR bikes and pay him to shuttle you. Then after it's over cock punch him for me and I'll paypal you $50.:D

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Well,

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Being that there is no clear answer on whether or not there is good riding there, I think I am going to bring my full DH bike anyway. If I can't line up with anyone, I'll just push up to that mountain with the skiing and the observatories and ride down scree fields. I just gotta not get arrested so I don't miss my flight to NZ!

I might post up a little recap of my Hawaii/NZ trip and let you guys know what I find while in Hawaii.

Worst comes to worst, 951's are pretty good bar bikes :headbang:

If anyone else has any tips, post em up or PM me! And I'll get at John P

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Well,

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Being that there is no clear answer on whether or not there is good riding there, I think I am going to bring my full DH bike anyway. If I can't line up with anyone, I'll just push up to that mountain with the skiing and the observatories and ride down scree fields. I just gotta not get arrested so I don't miss my flight to NZ!

I might post up a little recap of my Hawaii/NZ trip and let you guys know what I find while in Hawaii.

Worst comes to worst, 951's are pretty good bar bikes :headbang:

If anyone else has any tips, post em up or PM me! And I'll get at John P
The way I found out about the riding on all the islands before my trip was by posting on DHhawaii.com and also the Hawaii forum on www.Mtbr.com . There are several Hawaii riders who troll mtbr b/c they of course have pissy fits of their own on seperate forums. :thumb: