Quantcast

Big Boys and their suspension setups...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So, aside from being a freakish 6'8" and accepting trouble finding frames that fit, now Im a healthy 260 and finding suspension setups to become more of an issue.

Hardtail
- 2003 Sherman Firefly on my HT with the X Heavy spring; its just about right IMO - maybe a little stiff even?!

DH/FR -
- VPFree with a #600 spring on my Pushed DHX; This is being replaced with an Avy 5th and a #650 spring.
- 07 888 RC2x with XHeavy springs - unfortunately met its demise via a broken X cartridge
- 06 66 RC2x 170mm on their now, works great - the air assist makes all the diff on the fatty front.

Trail/AM/FR lite
- 2009 Blur LT
Pike 454 Up front rocking 185psi (10psi over max listed)
RP23 out back with 200psi (10psi over max listed)
- I need to do something to the RP23 because the ride is awesome, but that sucker swallows the last 2" of travel too darned easy.

I am considering new frames and forks and what not, but at my current weight I am finding it difficult.(already dropped 5lbs, work in progress.)

I would like a Boxxer, but they seem to cap out at 200+; given that theres a spring change for every 20lbs in rider weight, I am 3 levels above that.....

Does anyone have a Boxxer and is 250++ and has any feedback?

What other forks and shock options have you turned to? Ti springs are out for me because the winds get so think for my needs, they wont fit on a shock anymore...

ramble...rant... please add your 2c, silliness is welcome; DBery is inevitable!

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
If you get a Boxxer WC then there's virtually no limit to how stiff you can set it up. Rockshox's recommended spring rates are WAY stiffer than they actually should be, too - stock springs are suitable for 200lbs riders no problem. They recommend 100psi in the WC for a 200lbs rider, I'm running mine at 80 and it's on the stiff side. I think the reality is that at your weight you're almost certainly going to need custom tuned dampers though - Avalanche or Push or whatever.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
238 solid before gear. Not 260 but close. As far as suspension the boxxer WC works fine I am having my boxxer modes with avalanches cartidge and a avy woodie on the rear. Works like a dream..... you could get a 09 bxr and do the avy. Cartridge and be good. Just my .02

Avys work great on just about anything based on the valving and the amount of oil capacity matched with the ability to handle high leverage ratios and the relaibility it cant be beat for a rear and a boxxer with the ava cartridge essentially is the same internals as the DHF without the weight.

I will say the new boxxer WC is nice, I had spiking issues on fast rocky runs and couldnt get it to dial in between the hi and lo... Now after the Hi speed mod its amazing, plush and the effects of the hi and lo are definenetly not effecting each other as before.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Just get the 888 with a couple extra steel springs to fool around with. Super easy to swap, and you can play with the oil levels a bunch too. Cheap too.

Depends how steep the trails are that you ride too. I'm 170# and run the same front spring that guys 230-240# will ride just to go fast and stable on the steep stuff, which is one firmer than stock on the 2010 Evo.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
so no more 888, that youve been dying to get?
Im being fickle.

They wont have springs for ~2weeks min, so Im wobbling. I am curious about a Boxxer, but I was raised on the Zokes, so Im prolly just going to fall back in 2 weeks. I liked 750 bettere than 1000, but I like 1000 better than.....more than a thousand.

My psychosis is a dirty snowball, hurtling down a mountainside, growing uncontrollably...

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Fox 40 with the elusive orange spring?

-KT
I'm 250+ and that's been my setup for the past few years. I recently just went down to the yellow, while upping my compression (low and high) pretty close to all in, and I think I actually like that more. It still stays high in it's travel, but its easier to get up over the front and make the bike do work.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Something is wrong with your pike. I am pushing 240-250 out of the shower and only need about 140psi. After having the valving tuned by push I went down to 125psi. My current 2010 revelation only needs about 130psi.

Are you getting full travel out of it at 185psi??

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Something is wrong with your pike. I am pushing 240-250 out of the shower and only need about 140psi. After having the valving tuned by push I went down to 125psi. My current 2010 revelation only needs about 130psi.

Are you getting full travel out of it at 185psi??
Theres nothing wrong with my Pike; You must love a ludicrously plush fork, with 140 psi, I can bottom it in my living room. 175 Psi is max listed for a 220lb+ rider & its still plenty plush with 185, and I am getting full travel. Maybe you're running a dual-air and not an air u-turn (which is what I have)?

I would say something is up with YOUR pike if you're riding the settings for a 165lb rider and you're 250!

From the manual:

RIDER WEIGHT....................DUAL AIR..............AIR U-TURN
<140........(63kg)................70-90 psi..............90-115 psi
140-160....(63-72kg)...........90-105 psi............115-130 psi
160-180....(72-81kg)...........105-120 psi..........130-145 psi
180-200....(81-90kg)...........120-135 psi..........145-160 psi
>220........(99kg)................150 psi................175 psi

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
6'7" 260 (on my way down to 250)

When I had my stuff valved, it was for a 265 rider and I was probably pushing 275 in gear...It worked pretty well...Now it works flawlessly!!

2006 Rotec RL9 w/ Avy DHS 3" stroke w/ 600lb. (or maybe a 650?) Ti spring. It was custom and the thing is thick!

Fork is a 2006 888 works fork with all the heavy spring and valving junk done to it. I've had it rebuilt once and I think the oil went from 5wt to 7.5wt and it improved performance greatly.

*Shrug* All my crap is old...but it works great, it fits, and, if nothing else, it's durable.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Squirrel,
Why didn't you bring it in for a factory referb this past winter??
Since the rebuild right before Sydney was born, I've ridden it maybe 15 days at whistler (probably more like 10...but I'll be generous). I repacked all the bearings at the beginning of '09 (like March or something) and the suspension is still going strong. I might make it to Whistler 3 times this year...maybe...and that's all the action that bike is going to see....

Maybe at the end of this season/when I have a job I'll get some rebuilds done.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
OK, you have almost 60lbs on me, but I just switched over to a Totem with a firm spring and I love it. I tend to drop lots, and I do not bottom out the Totem the way I expected to. I was initially going to go with an X-firm spring, but was (thankfully) talked out of it. I have heard that the mission control internals tend to run stiffer, so I think a Boxxer Team with an X-firm spring would likely do just fine for you.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Theres nothing wrong with my Pike; You must love a ludicrously plush fork, with 140 psi, I can bottom it in my living room. 175 Psi is max listed for a 220lb+ rider & its still plenty plush with 185, and I am getting full travel. Maybe you're running a dual-air and not an air u-turn (which is what I have)?

I would say something is up with YOUR pike if you're riding the settings for a 165lb rider and you're 250!

From the manual:

RIDER WEIGHT....................DUAL AIR..............AIR U-TURN
<140........(63kg)................70-90 psi..............90-115 psi
140-160....(63-72kg)...........90-105 psi............115-130 psi
160-180....(72-81kg)...........105-120 psi..........130-145 psi
180-200....(81-90kg)...........120-135 psi..........145-160 psi
>220........(99kg)................150 psi................175 psi
RS recommended air pressure for Pike, Revelation, and Reba is well known to be high. I usually use about 20-30psi under their recommendation for air pressure for a 220lb rider. I have owned 2 pike air u-turn forks, 1 pike dual air, 2 reba dual air forks, and currently run a revelation team 150mm dual air. My pressure is set for trail riding. I will bottom if I go over 4' to flat, but that isn't a normal site on my local trails. IIRC I ran 160psi in my Pike u-turn air forks. Not even one of the forks I have owned required more than 160psi despite my 225-235lb typical weight (currently carrying some extra after this wet winter).

Some of the forks have had lighter damping, which requires higher pressure not to blow through. My last dual air was light and I ran about 140psi, but after push firmed up the compression I needed to drop the pressure a bit in order to use more of the travel.

I still think something is up with your fork. Either that or it really needs stiffer compression to match your riding.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
RS recommended air pressure for Pike, Revelation, and Reba is well known to be high. I usually use about 20-30psi under their recommendation for air pressure for a 220lb rider. I have owned 2 pike air u-turn forks, 1 pike dual air, 2 reba dual air forks, and currently run a revelation team 150mm dual air. My pressure is set for trail riding. I will bottom if I go over 4' to flat, but that isn't a normal site on my local trails. IIRC I ran 160psi in my Pike u-turn air forks. Not even one of the forks I have owned required more than 160psi despite my 225-235lb typical weight (currently carrying some extra after this wet winter).

Some of the forks have had lighter damping, which requires higher pressure not to blow through. My last dual air was light and I ran about 140psi, but after push firmed up the compression I needed to drop the pressure a bit in order to use more of the travel.

I still think something is up with your fork. Either that or it really needs stiffer compression to match your riding.
My pike works great, similar to the other pike I had. I know plenty of people on RS air forks and most run over psi, not under. & I only run enough compression to keep the front from diving like a penguin when I squeeze some brakes!

Again, I dont know whats going on with yours, but mine works great!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
My pike works great, similar to the other pike I had. I know plenty of people on RS air forks and most run over psi, not under. & I only run enough compression to keep the front from diving like a penguin when I squeeze some brakes!

Again, I dont know whats going on with yours, but mine works great!
Go back to a properly done zoke. It'll work mo' betta. I promise...

:D:D:D:D;)

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Im running a 2010 Boxxer Team with just the heavy spring installed and Im 240 before gear and my Boxxer feels perfect....stiff in the garage but just right on the trail and off of drops and what not...

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
huck you could check out my bike at diablo I'm 260 got a 2010 boxxer wc on a large V10 You were looking at my v10 the other day at the parking lot just ask next time...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK so heres a quirk in the fork settings we use and the axle path of the bike we ride as well as where it sits...

I'm 238 lbs before breakfast and I ride mine 60psi (boxxer wc 2010) its super soft BUT is at 25% sag when I load the bars and stand on the pedals for my setting... WORKS like a dream...

NOW I rode a buddys 951 the other day he had 100 psi in his and I was pushing 45% sag and hes 155lbs...

So: (Im 238)
Jedi XL 2010 wc 65 psi = 25-30% sag
Intense 951 2010 WC 100 psi = 45% sag

So Im to the conclusion that based on frame, travel path and size the same set up may not work for someone else on a different suspension design...

Just a though..

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
OK so heres a quirk in the fork settings we use and the axle path of the bike we ride as well as where it sits...

I'm 238 lbs before breakfast and I ride mine 60psi (boxxer wc 2010) its super soft BUT is at 25% sag when I load the bars and stand on the pedals for my setting... WORKS like a dream...

NOW I rode a buddys 951 the other day he had 100 psi in his and I was pushing 45% sag and hes 155lbs...

So Im to the conclusion that based on frame, travel path and size the same set up may not work for someone else on a different suspension design...

Just a though..

I agree i weight 260 and i run 85 psi 25% sag extra plushness on my v10

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ

Just a though..
I think you are right , I ride with a friend who has a '08 Boxxer on a Glory with a firm spring and it works just fine - he is 156kg / 343lbs ( not kidding ) :weee:

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Thats a big boy...... Good for him to be riding..:thumb:
Yeah mate - you guys are just fly weight :D

There is a guy over here who rides a Sunday and he tips the scales at a little over 180kg / 396lb - we noticed him one day when it went all dark and the Sun seemed to disappear. We looked around and were presented with this rather large man of men :shocked: . My 156kg friend said how small he suddenly felt ( no mean feat ), the guy was really friendly and joked about his size with us. I followed him down a track, drops are definitely drops for large people and we need wider tracks :D

Thankfully most riders over here are of lesser stature ;)

Good times :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yeah mate - you guys are just fly weight :d

there is a guy over here who rides a sunday and he tips the scales at a little over 180kg / 396lb - we noticed him one day when it went all dark and the sun seemed to disappear. We looked around and were presented with this rather large man of men :shocked: . My 156kg friend said how small he suddenly felt ( no mean feat ), the guy was really friendly and joked about his size with us. I followed him down a track, drops are definitely drops for large people and we need wider tracks :d

thankfully most riders over here are of lesser stature ;)

good times :thumb:
lmao...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
huck you could check out my bike at diablo I'm 260 got a 2010 boxxer wc on a large V10 You were looking at my v10 the other day at the parking lot just ask next time...

I would LOVE to! Gladly swap bikes with those willing! I will be there tomorrow with my newly short-shocked 7.7" VPF! Nice 14.6" bb, 65deg HA! weee.........

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Go back to a properly done zoke. It'll work mo' betta. I promise...

:D:D:D:D;)
No 5-5.5 inch options, I looked around, and in this case the Pike was the right fit.

I am def a Marz ho, so it was a difficult decision! But it is working very well, AND is heading for push (as well as my RP23, and my already pushed DHX (for my VPF) which could use an oil change, etc...)