Quantcast

Big Brother is watching us

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i forget the URL, but there's a website that has feeds of most every online office building type video source.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
golgiaparatus said:
Thats some pricey sh!t you have there in that office.
And yeah, I'm talking about the chairs too. Had somew of those at my old ad agency when they first came out.
That chair is the mythical aeron. Have you heard the Aeron law of startup success? Comes from the 90s era of buying expensive crap with no actual revenue:

"The expected lifetime of a technology startup is inversely proportional to the number of Aeron chairs it buys for it's employees."

From the looks of that photo, that place hasn't got long to go. :)

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Yea the Herman Miller chairs we have cost $1k each...for that I'd rather have a leather chair that massages me or something.

What we do with all the computers...

Monitor/troubleshoot Network Virginia, the network here at Virginia Tech. Includes telephone, data, and the video networking.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Jayridesacove said:
Yea the Herman Miller chairs we have cost $1k each...for that I'd rather have a leather chair that massages me or something.

Monitor/troubleshoot Network Virginia, the network here at Virginia Tech. Includes telephone, data, and the video networking.

its good to see peoples tuition going toward thousand dollar chairs :rolleyes:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Jayridesacove said:

Hey, do you have anything to do with the System X supercomputer at VT? I met Srinidhi Varadarajan, the Director of the program a couple weeks ago. Seems like a really cool dude.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dang nice setup you have there. Dual monitors? Or just two monitors (two seperate PC's) side by side?

BigMike said:
Yeah, wait till you have to sit your butt in a chair for 8 hours a day, then you'll see how valuable those chairs really are. I WISH I had one of those here at my job!

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
BigMike said:
Actually, in this case, isn't it the taxpayers of the great state of Virginia buying those. I can't decide if that's better or worse...

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Barbaton said:
Hey, do you have anything to do with the System X supercomputer at VT? I met Srinidhi Varadarajan, the Director of the program a couple weeks ago. Seems like a really cool dude.
No, but the supercomputer is in the same areathat the campus switch room is (where all the ATMs, phone nodes, large cisco routers are, etc.)

Sometimes when I take a break, I take a walk over there and just look at all the nodes on the supercomputer.

Ciaran said:
Dang nice setup you have there. Dual monitors? Or just two monitors (two seperate PC's) side by side?
They are all dual monitors. But the video networking guys get 3 monitors, which is what I wish i had.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Barbaton said:
Actually, in this case, isn't it the taxpayers of the great state of Virginia buying those. I can't decide if that's better or worse...
Our budget comes from providing network and telecommunication services to the university(i.e. if you want ethernet activated in your room, you pay us a fee). We get nothing from the university budget which comes from the state.

Personally I don't see why these chairs cost that much anyway. It's just made out of high grade plastics. I'd rather have a leather chair with heated massage or something for that kind of money.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Ciaran said:
Here's my office setup:

The little laptop isn't mine but I'm testing it for someone. I guess I should ask for that Aeron and complete the picture. :)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Jayridesacove said:
Our budget comes from providing network and telecommunication services to the university(i.e. if you want ethernet activated in your room, you pay us a fee). We get nothing from the university budget which comes from the state.

Personally I don't see why these chairs cost that much anyway. It's just made out of high grade plastics. I'd rather have a leather chair with heated massage or something for that kind of money.
the university doesnt pay you guys at all? :confused: is it individual departments or what?

The chair I want from Brookstone is 4g's not 1 :(

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Barbaton said:
Here's my office setup:

The little laptop isn't mine but I'm testing it for someone. I guess I should ask for that Aeron and complete the picture. :)
WTF do you do?!

EDIT: P.S. Looks like you dont do much except browse the internet and the :monkey: :D

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
BigMike said:
the university doesnt pay you guys at all? :confused: is it individual departments or what?

mmmm. the panasonic massager with the big playstation-looking controller? me want too. sooo nice. want to touch the heine</sandler>

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
BigMike said:

It's like...

Say you want to get a cellphone, so you goto the T-mobile store and get a new account and phone. You pay a monthly bill

At home, you want internet service, so you contact Adelphia or Comcast and get a cable modem along with your regular cable service. You also pay a monthly bill

We do all that, telephone, cable, network.

At the university when a student wants ethernet, they pay for it with their tuition. Or if they make long distance calls, they pay for it and the money goes to us.

For faculty, if a department wants a new fast ethernet connection. They pay us for the installation and montly use of that connection. Same thing with telephones, if they want a new phone installed in a new office, we charge them for all that. Etc.

So, we exist to provide telecommunications for the University. We belong to the University, but we're not included in their budget; our budget comes from all the users of our telecommunications network.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
BigMike said:
WTF do you do?!

EDIT: P.S. Looks like you dont do much except browse the internet and the :monkey: :D
yet another university IT guy. I think universities tend to have a lot of this stuff because vendors charge schools so much less for the same things than they charge companies. also, I have literally scavenged all of that (except the powerbook) by watching what gets left around when people upgrade to other things. It's amazing what is sometimes hiding in plain sight.

EDIT: PS. It's after hours and I'm waiting for my evening class to start so monkey-browsing is A-OK. :D

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Yea, it's alot different than what I did with I.T. stuff in the Marines. Back then, I could build up a network capable of global internet connectivity in the middle of nowhere, in some far off country.

My job now is like club med.