Quantcast

Big Cats in NY?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
There have been reports coming from the catskills and adirondacks for years regarding large cats. The first thing to understand that a cougar (mountain lion) is not the same as a bobcat. That accounts for a lot of sightings by ordinary people right there. However there are many hunters who have reported sighting mountain lions, yet the DEC states they do not exist in this area. I don't know so much that it is a consipracy as it is they are not totally sure as to their existence, and numbers in the area. And lets face it if they aren't certain they shouldn't cause undue panic because a good number of people would freak out if they thought there were mountain lions there, even if there were like 10 they would just hear mountain lion and that would be the end of that. There is a lot more to it, but I think that covers some of the basics.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
When I was about 10, my family had a German Shephard. Best dog ever, but one night, he didnt come up to the house when I went out back to feed him. The next morning we found his carcass completely mangled and about 1/3 of the way eaten. We never heard any noise or saw a thing. Some people in our area had speculated that they'd seen a cougar in the area, and that it was responsible for the death of a foal down the street from us, and after that we believed them. Cougars aint no joke,

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
GumbaFish said:
The first thing to understand that a cougar (mountain lion) is not the same as a bobcat.
Thanks for the tip :rolleyes:

You've had some real zingers for posts in the last couple days
:p

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
It would be kind of unusual for as big cat like that to get so close without the final quick rush and lunge. Its wired into them to not get so close as to not be able to get the forward momentum that aids in a fatal attack. If the deer was hobbled for some reason the cat might aproach it that way... Maybe the deer was roped...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Skookum said:
Sneaking up on deer isn't really that hard. If us humans can do with how bad we stink then i'm sure a strong hungry cat can do it. i've ridden up and gotten very very close to blacktails and muleys on rides many many times, and elk a few times as well.
Here's a pic of one of the encounters a few years back when i happened to have a camera ready.
thats because you're a native american.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
Id be afraid of Grizzly Bears if we had them in our woods.
Afraid of a Mother protecting her cubs.... but otherwise i'm not afraid of bear, what for?

narlus said:
actually, that's australia yr thinking of. NZ is very innocuous (not to mention breathtakingly beautiful).
You are correct Cone Snails are found in Austrailia. For some reason i was thinking they were from NZ from a t.v. show i watched about em....

biggins said:
Death To All Large Predators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Humans are animals and we are predators.

Slugman said:
I wouldn't be so cavalier about it if I were you. About a year ago in SoCal two mountain bikers were attacked by a mountain lion (also known as Puma or Cougar) - one biker was saved by her friends, the other was killed.
i know the story and have my own theories about why that whole attack went down. California has a ban on hunting cougars so you inflate the population. Cougars are super territorial they have to move to their own territory or they will get killed by other cougars. California had just got done with massive fires depleting the natural resources. i think all of this combined to create a rogue cougar capable of deciding to hunt human.
there was also a cougar attack here in Washington at least 5 years ago. A young guy was attacked by a young inexperienced cougar. He claimed he used his instinctive wrestling ability he had learned in high school to escape the clutches of the young cougar. After the initial hit the cougar thought better and ran away and that was that. The guy if i remember correctly only got some minor scrapes and bruises from the fight.
With as many times as i've been in the woods and with as many critters I KNOW are out there it's ridiculous for me to pay any heed to these RARE stories and be scared. You're way more likely to get hit by lightning.

Slugman said:
I saw a Lynx in Foxboro, MA about 10 years ago - thing was 20 feet away and scared the piss outta us. Didn't do anything; just looked at the crazy mountain bikers sliding in the snow and turned around and disappeared.

I saw a bobcat about 3 months ago here in SoCal, thing walked right at me like it was my pet. I didn't realize that he was a bobcat until it was within 10 feet of me - it was just a bit larger than my cat so at first I thought it was a house cat... then I noticed the ears and tail. It got pretty close, turned and went into the bushes... didn't hear it the entire time.
Why be scared? i think that's a cool story of amazing creatures. You walk around downtown Boston don't you? Don't you realize you should be WAY more scared since the chances of being killed by a human whether on accident or on purpose is way way higher?

stosh said:
thats because you're a native american.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jdcamb said:
True. So true. Hunting is now the only resource management program to control deer populations in many states. Nature and the fact that the corn harvest was wet have produced a bumper crop of corn fed deer around here :p Everyone in my family hunts so we will be eating Venison until the spring. Natures bounty has smiled upon us this year. We ate fresh loins the other night...... :drool:
No new venison for me this year :(

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Slugman said:
I wouldn't be so cavalier about it if I were you. About a year ago in SoCal two mountain bikers were attacked by a mountain lion (also known as Puma or Cougar) - one biker was saved by her friends, the other was killed.

I saw a Lynx in Foxboro, MA about 10 years ago - thing was 20 feet away and scared the piss outta us. Didn't do anything; just looked at the crazy mountain bikers sliding in the snow and turned around and disappeared.

I saw a bobcat about 3 months ago here in SoCal, thing walked right at me like it was my pet. I didn't realize that he was a bobcat until it was within 10 feet of me - it was just a bit larger than my cat so at first I thought it was a house cat... then I noticed the ears and tail. It got pretty close, turned and went into the bushes... didn't hear it the entire time.
A lynx scared the piss out of you??? I think I'll just go ahead and say it... you're a pussy for being afraid of that pussy.

Lynx

"roughly the size of a large domestic cat"

Im sure he could give you nasty scratch, but these things eat rabbits and mice... theyre not gonna screw around with a hundred and eighty pound great ape, and certianly not a group of them. Humans underestimate their own strength more than any other animal.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
TheInedibleHulk said:
Humans underestimate their own strength more than any other animal.
i don't think it's strength. a deer can kick our ass, literally.... just that more times than not a critter doesn't want anything to do with humans, just want's be left alone.....

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Skookum said:
i don't think it's strength. a deer can kick our ass, literally.... just that more times than not a critter doesn't want anything to do with humans, just want's be left alone.....
Yeah I wouldnt want to be kicked by a deer, that would suck. That said, the deer is probably more dangerous than the lynx, and you dont hear too many people expressing their fear of deer attacks.

I was more thinking about people who are afraid of dogs. I used to walk my boss's doberman puppy at the bike shop and people would be terrified of her, a 30 pound puppy. Even a small adult could quite literally kill a 30 pound dog with their bare hands, its a completely irrational fear. Now a 130 pound rottweiler could tear my ass up, but even so I wouldnt be afraid of one that wasnt showing any signs of hostility, rottys are awesome :thumb: .