Quantcast

Big Drop at Salem Lake

bullitman

Chimp
Sep 15, 2008
I haven't done it nor do I plan on doing it..:crazy:I walked up on that jump and I got nervous..:redface:But if someone is gonna hit it post up,cause I wanna watch,and I'll video you for FREE!!:biggrin:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Ahh, I'm just looking for new places to ride. I need to make it a point to get to that part of the state sometime. All the stuff I've seen in pics look like a fun area.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
it's big with a steep tranny and the penalty for failure is pretty bad. but smooth nonetheless ;)

this dude landed at the bottom of the lander. he rode up to it, did one speed check run and boom! nailed it. i was rather impressed.

i don't like to hit it anymore. i knocked myself out on it when it was about 2' lower and closer to the lander. i've hit it once since the rebuild, got sketch on the landing and haven't been back. the fun:danger ratio is way out of wack for me at my age and career status. but yes, people hit it from time to time but i think the riding style of those who may or may not build things in that region has transitioned more to tech dj lines instead of big hucks.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I may or may not have been involved on build day. Its not 15ft.
There's a no ambulance rule out there, so if you crash, you must sacrifice yourself to the trailbuilding gods, take one for the team, and slit your wrists with your still warm disk rotors to avoid drawing attention to the area.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I may or may not have been involved on build day. Its not 15ft.
There's a no ambulance rule out there, so if you crash, you must sacrifice yourself to the trailbuilding gods, take one for the team, and slit your wrists with your still warm disk rotors to avoid drawing attention to the area.
Sounds like S.Fla. where you have your buds drag you to another area and tell the Doc you fell out of the back of your pick-up.:redface::biggrin: Manimal, I know what you mean by age and career but I think I'd have to hit just to say I did it. I'm 43 and still have a hard time walking away stuff as long as it not skechy. Brain tells you, you can do it but your body saying please don't.:think:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like S.Fla. where you have your buds drag you to another area and tell the Doc you fell out of the back of your pick-up.:redface::biggrin: Manimal, I know what you mean by age and career but I think I'd have to hit just to say I did it. I'm 43 and still have a hard time walking away stuff as long as it not skechy. Brain tells you, you can do it but your body saying please don't.:think:
i dont' mind hitting the big stuff at santos, but there's something about the salem drop that just freaks me out. probably the fact that i lost a good chunk of memory when i ate it back in '04 when it was smaller. the one time i did hit it since the rebuild was more than enough to prove to myself that it doesn't owne me. been there, done that...don't want to do it again.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
yeah that stuffs way sketch. there aren't really drops like that much anymore, apparently people learned that it's harder to ride something techgnarcal than it is to pull up and pray :)

Last edited:

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
yeah that stuffs way sketch. there aren't really drops like that much anymore, apparently people learned that it's harder to ride something techgnarcal than it is to pull up and pray :)
I dunno man, that line is pretty ridiculous. 12X20ft drop to big curved wallride to step up? It would take a lot of prayer for most people to be able to hit that. Plus, they were hitting it on hardtails with 24in wheels, 4in of travel, and no front brake.

That said, it doesnt exist. Those photos are obviously photoshoped.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
i'm not saying it's not hard, rediculous, and crazy, it's just over the top, most of the stuff even on the shore that big was built for movies and is usually an out of the way one hit wonder that is very rarely ridden haha...good thing it doesn't even exist

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Is this the one your looking for. I'm from S. Fla, where is this at? Looks fun. Don't know about 15', maybe 10'x10'.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is vid of our "hush hush" freeride park, I built most of the stuff there. Actually just got back from digging. And to think, there is a sign at the trailhead that clearly states "KEEP THIS **** OFF OF THE FORUMS" ....guess there needs to be a footnote about youtube

dumb motha f#$)(@*#$)@*#$ ahhhhhh!!! kill kill killllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

looks like tomorrow's work includes digging pungi pits and installing piano wire

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is vid of our "hush hush" freeride park, I built most of the stuff there. Actually just got back from digging. And to think, there is a sign at the trailhead that clearly states "KEEP THIS **** OFF OF THE FORUMS" ....guess there needs to be a footnote about youtube

dumb motha f#$)(@*#$)@*#$ ahhhhhh!!! kill kill killllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

looks like tomorrow's work includes digging pungi pits and installing piano wire
Sorry, I just searched NC freeride looking for the other drop. Like I said, I'm from Fl. just looking for places to ride when I head north.

Does this mean I can't ride it when I come.:biggrin::redface:

If you come south you can ride this.

Last edited:

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Sorry, I just searched NC freeride looking for the other drop. Like I said, I'm from Fl. just looking for places to ride when I head north.

Does this mean I can't ride it when I come.:biggrin::redface:

If you come south you can ride this.

yeah dude, no hard feelings towards you....only the dumbasses that posted it up. people like that ruin all the fun for the rest of us.

PM me if you're ever in the charlotte area....might know a trail gnome that could show you around :cheers:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
here's the deal. it's not like it's a huge secret but at the same time you're probably not going to get specific trail directions to individual stunts by posting about it publicly. there are plenty of pics floating around the net of the stuff out there but we try and keep the locations somewhat ambiguous. with that said, don't hesitate to PM any of us locals here for directions or a time to meet up w/ you.

Last edited:

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
Yeah you'd have to be uber lucky to just go out there and find all the goods. First time I went I had know idea where to look and spent the day peddeling around for nothing. Next time went with some locals and was super stoked at all the nuggets out there. So just knowing the general location don't mean ****e. But here in Hickory we had first had experiance what will happen if stuff get's built to close to main trails and when the wrong people start catching wind of it. R.I.P Hickpark.