Quantcast

Big Events, etc...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
This past weekend we had the Pro GRT up at Plattekill, and this coming weekend the US Open is the big deal.

Now, as a non-racer, am I the only one that avoids these events? IE, I'm NOT going to Diablo BECAUSE of the Open, just as I avoided Platte last week because of the PGRT Race. Since these 2 are the major options (although we have a lot more) I choose to be at the one not holding an event; so it was Diablo last week, and Platte this coming.

I dont know about you, but I like to ride, not wait behind a gazillion peeple and deal with crowds, parking accommodations, etc... *It might be neat to see some pro runs, or some of the secret-equipment they might have, but not worth it to me. I know some people live for the events, the races, Interbike, and so on, and I *DO* find these things interesting, just dont find them worth all the effort and tradeoff.

Of course if you are racing, or in the industry, then it's a whole different bag of cookies. Not hating, just curious; to each his own!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea platty was SUPER organized last weekend. no issues with parking, and MINIMAL lift lines, if any. Probably helped that both lifts were open...

and from what I heard they were running the triple lift faster than normal because they have a new lifty that can load bikes faster.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
dont recall ever seeing a line last at last week's race... but the Open will be jam packed as it always is
Really? Well motel rooms nowhere (I dont camp, nyeah) and what about parking?

Looks like I may have missed that one on an assumption.

rather Moot now, but yah, the Open will def be a mess! (AND the waterpark will be opening this week, have fun parking!!!!)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Really? Well motel rooms nowhere (I dont camp, nyeah) and what about parking?

Looks like I may have missed that one on an assumption.

rather Moot now, but yah, the Open will def be a mess! (AND the waterpark will be opening this week, have fun parking!!!!)
water park opens June 5th.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Man, you should be happy that all the gapers are going to the other spot!

You'll have the mountain to yourself!

I'd be amped on big events! It's the same here when Whistler opens!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
water park opens June 5th.
Ooh, I get to be wrong again! YAY!

When will Creek/Diablo go for it and open some of the other peaks/lifts? Not enough business? I still dont get the 4pm close!!

OOOOH TANGENT

Yeah but, all details aside, anyone feelin the same? Im not a fan of crowds or 'celebrity' so, water park aside, Ill be havin nothin to do with D'Blo this weekend. (Maybe Monday, after the mess)

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I couldn't ride the Pro GRT weekend and I can't ride this weekend either, but I would have done the same thing as Banzai probably. My ride buddy is actually going up to platty this weekend to avoid the open, I think, haha.

But yeah, in general I prefer riding on non-race weekends, if for no other reason than that nothing's taped off. If I had known they'd be running both lifts at platty last weekend I might've made more of an effort to get up there though, that would've been awesome. Seeing the world-cup level pits would've been cool too, but usually the idea of having the hill to myself trumps that. I don't get to ride as much as some of y'all, (especially not this season) so my ride days are especially precious.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
In general, I agree with you. The only big event I go to is the Sea Otter, but there really isn't riding there at any other time and it can handle the crowds.

That's also why I go snowboarding the weekend after a holiday and Super Bowl Sundays...go surfing very early or maybe when the tide isn't quite perfect - all in an effort to avoid the crowds and greedily partake in the sports I love in the limited time I have to so.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
most of my riding his summer will be during race weekends. I use to shy away from them, but now that I race, I enjoy it. Gonna miss out on Diablo this weekend though, Id rather buy performance parts for my new ride than pay through the nose for a hotel room.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
On a Diablo side-note, the waterpark is selling 2 season passes for 99$; I am always looking at the swings and cannon with wanting eyes late in a DH day. Maybe if they WERE open this weekend, I might.....hmmmmmm.

I have been to many races and the open in the past; and at least at the open, the lines get ridiculous - the v fast lift makes up some if it, but overall I found it 'icky'

I didnt care much to meet the pro's, but watch runs from different sections is revealing (and impressive) and getting up close to the new gadgets is neat-o too.

Schneidie

Chimp
Apr 24, 2010
New England
Racing is what it's all about. Just can't describe the feeling of a race weekend to somebody who isn't racing.

Multiplies the fun by 2x. I'm racing the open this weekend, and will be happy to stand in the same lift line as everyone else.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Racing is what it's all about. Just can't describe the feeling of a race weekend to somebody who isn't racing.

Multiplies the fun by 2x. I'm racing the open this weekend, and will be happy to stand in the same lift line as everyone else.
As I said: to each his own.

On that note, organized racing is NOT what it's all about, and is a great way to take something really fun and make it suck quick.

See how that opinion thing works?

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
It's all about personal preference. If you have never done a big event you gotta go check one out they are a blast especially if you are a racer. Having said that I am totally into racing but have been to the open many times and don’t want to wait in line this year. I will be going to Highland to enjoy the empty lines. Good luck to all the racers!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I live for racing so I can't say much. Although if I lived near a lift access place I might have a different opinion on local events. Where I'm from there's one DH race a year and it's on a 300' hill....and the people in this town are so rich and stuck up anyways that they're trying to even shut that down.

But ya, I can see how it could be annoying if you're not into racing!