Quantcast

big glass

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not on-line yet...i just sent some of the My Bloody Valentine shots to the UK site i was working for. i mainly stuck up to the front where i could, and that lens was far too large for up close work, but for some sets (mogwai, shellac, dinosaur jr, MBV, thurston) i did take some longer shots from the back as well.

actually, here's a small jpg i took w/ the lens (Steve Albini of Shellac):

the thing was pretty heavy, but i could handhold it ok. the IS was certainly a godsend w/o a monopod or tripod, though. focusing was lightning fast.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
probably a couple hundred feet away...i think i was on the soundboard level. check the exif to see if i was using the 5D or 40D. i think i cropped it slightly, but not too much.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
exif says 40D & 300mm. 1/400 @ 4.5. Pretty nice you could shoot that fast a shutter speed like you said.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
exif says 40D & 300mm. 1/400 @ 4.5. Pretty nice you could shoot that fast a shutter speed like you said.
Shellac's lighting was the best/brightest by far. it was like they had studio lighting.

i'll dig up some other shots later...i know i used it for Thurston and Built to Spill on the 1st night, and also for MBV, Dino Jr and Mogwai for the 3rd night. Shellac was the only band i used it for on the 2nd night. unfortunately i don't have those photos w/ me at the moment.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Shellac's lighting was the best/brightest by far. it was like they had studio lighting.
That's their lighting at every show. Turn on all the white lights and leave them there.

Lighting guys hate it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
300mm 2.8 ain't big. I hump that thing up and down mountains 6 days a week from April through October. 400... 2.8 on the other hand, now that one hurts my arms and back...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the loudest. ever.

dinosaur was like an acoustic act compared to it.
It seems mogwai canceled the rest of the canada/japan dates...

Martin explains what happened

I was taken into hospital last night almost immediately after the show at ATP. I've been having some problems with my pacemaker for the duration of the tour and it unfortunately culminated in me being sent to the emergency room. The doctors there initially thought i would have to have corrective surgery at a larger hospital nearer NYC but i have been given the all clear to travel home on the understanding that i go straight to my cardiologist on arrival back in Scotland.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It seems mogwai canceled the rest of the canada/japan dates...
yeah, i was gonna catch their boston show the following day....got back home @ 5, checked the website for set times, and saw that it was cancelled. which actually worked out ok for me, as i needed some time for working on photos and to sleep.