Quantcast

Big mountain (hill) riding. In Oklahoma?

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Here’s a few pics from our Tulsa Freeriders group ride a couple weeks ago at Cavanal Hill in Poteau, Oklahoma. It is the ‘World’s Highest Hill’ with an elevation of 1999’, one foot shy of being a mountain. So far we’ve found 2 DH trails, although there is plenty of other jeep trails around that we can hit, we just need a couple GPS’s and some walkie talkies. The runs take ~30 minutes each, and the shuttle is paved the whole way to the top. Good times………………….good times

Here’s a few pics

The crew, Steve, Joe, Denis and me

View from the takeoff point

The view looking down the first chute

The “World’s Highest Hill” marker

Joe

Denis

Me

Denis

Steve on the start chute

Me on the start chute

Denis, waaaaaaaay S T I L

yours truly, same place

Steve, same spot

View of the end about ¾ the way down, you can see the cars in between the trees

our awesome shuttle drivers

Steve, on a nice drop we found at the end

So, if anyone is ever in Oklahoma, and wants to do some downhillin’, let me know, and we’ll hit it up. I could only make 4 runs that day because my arms got soooooo pumped I couldn’t grab the back brake anymore.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Cooter Brown said:
it starts where you have "Or down here"

it's about a 10' drop*

*that's not pinkbike feet either, he's landing in between the little girl in the pink pants and the kid at the bottom in black
Whether it be pinkbike feet or ridemonkey feet or pigs feet, that's a man sized drop. :thumb:

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
biker3 said:
Nate, What are the possibilites of having a race there next season? I hope the series still happens, I wanna go back to OK to race.

I don't know Jesse. It ends up on private land, and there are 2 spots in the trail where you have to push up. They are very short, like 20 yards or so. That and this place is SO tech that there would be bitching like you've never heard before. If you heard any of that crap about Clayton about how it was "too tough, too rocky" last spring, then it is 5 times more difficult than Clayton. I have been tossing that idea around for a while now though, as it would be a sweet spot to do it.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Cooter Brown said:
I don't know Jesse. It ends up on private land, and there are 2 spots in the trail where you have to push up. They are very short, like 20 yards or so. That and this place is SO tech that there would be bitching like you've never heard before. If you heard any of that crap about Clayton about how it was "too tough, too rocky" last spring, then it is 5 times more difficult than Clayton. I have been tossing that idea around for a while now though, as it would be a sweet spot to do it.
If you get motivated to build a single track trail, lemme know. Ive got the itch to build some new stuff.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That's awesome 1999 ft high.

So was it enough dh to get any brake fade towards the bottom? Aaaah the beautiful stench of overheated pads/rotors.