Quantcast

Big Mountain

Feb 13, 2006
Snow can be anything from powder to ice. Big Mtn pow isn't like the pow in the Cottonwood Canyons outside SLC though. It's heavier, more creamy. Not as heavy as the fresh snow on the pacific coastal ranges, but not feather-light either.

The temperatures will be what affects the snow quality.

Lots of times there's thick fog at Big Mtn, so thick that it disorients some skiers/boarders to the point of nausea or at least mild headache and going inside for the day. You can't really predict when it'll be foggy. Just be prepared with a high-contrast lens for your goggles.

North-facing slopes get the best snow and keep the best snow quality, but there aren't that many of them and what do exist are much shorter than the other slopes. The majority of the mtn faces south.

I don't know about night life, I go to ski, not party. But I'm sure there's plenty going on, there's always lots of Canucks at Big Mtn.

The bars in town in Whitefish are pretty good spots, I like the Great Northern and the Bulldog. The men's bathroom at the Bulldog is something that every guy should visit before leaving the upper Flathead valley.