Quantcast

BIG pedals?

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I have huge feet (size 16 in mens, US sizes that is).

My current pedals (some generic Wellgo ****e) hurt my feet on long rides.

Anybody know of some nice, oversize, clipless platform type pedals?

Or are all flat/platform pedals the same size?

Still, what are some good pedals. I'm eyeing either some Azonic or Crank Brother pedals

what does Ridemonkey think?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
foot binding.

In all seriousness, my friend has some Dangerboy flats that are massively huge. Not sure what they're called or if you can still get them, but they seemed a lot bigger than most other flats out there.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
50/50's are pretty wide. I ride Kona Primo's but I wear an 11. But a size 16? Those are like mini water skis. If you run and try to stop on a puddle, do you hydroplane? Damn son. Show us your shoes :picsstfu:

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
50/50's are pretty wide. I ride Kona Primo's but I wear an 11. But a size 16? Those are like mini water skis. If you run and try to stop on a puddle, do you hydroplane? Damn son. Show us your shoes :picsstfu:
Depends on how fast I'm going, which shoes I'm wearing (the flat-bottoms or the knob-bottoms), and what the surface underneath the puddle is...

There's actaully a section of smooth, small rocks in pavement, that during the winter get wet and me and my friends slide across it.

anywho, shoe size pic:

iPod, Cellphone, Leatherman & wallet are for size refrence.

The shoes fit snugly, too. not loose or anything.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I sure hope that's his finger. I shudder to think it's anything other than that.

Edit: toe?... ok.. whew... I thought I had to wash my eyes out with alcohol or something

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
NYC Freeride Glory Hole has a big platform plus its a real quality pedal too.

My good friend Gerald in Brooklyn sells them at his shop. You can call him (718 531 3100) and tell me I send you and he will take good care of you.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
NYC Freeride Glory Hole has a big platform plus its a real quality pedal too.

My good friend Gerald in Brooklyn sells them at his shop. You can call him (718 531 3100) and tell me I send you and he will take good care of you.
Just tell him CBJ sent me or is there some other name I should use?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Um yes, yes they are... :crazy:
Well given he was looking into Azonic, who only makes platforms, and every suggestion in this thread has been platforms (without his interjection)........I'm assuming he wants flats.......
or are all flat/platform pedals the same size?

EDIT - I stand corrected on the Azonic comment.......didn't know these existed...
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11829

Bornataku........you looking for flats or clipless?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
They dont necessarily have to have the platform part, clipless just refers to a pedal that uses a mechanism to somewhat secure a shoe to the pedal, without using toe straps and whatnot such as these:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
In mountain biking terms, clipless refers to the fact that the pedals do not have toe clips.

Clipless pedals for mtn. bikes started getting popular in the late 80's and early 90's.

Before that this is what was standard :

....mountain bike history lesson from an old school bastad

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Take it from a clydesdale:

Get better shoes.

If your shoes are not stiff enough to support your foot it doesn't matter what size pedal you use, your foot will have hot spots and your arch will feel like someone stuck a knife in it.

(this goes for many disciplines of cycling, especially road)

I used to ride bmx flats in Vans. It killed my feet. I went with a slightly stiffer shoe with a stiff molded insole. BIG DIFFERENCE.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Take it from a clydesdale:

Get better shoes.
:stupid:

If you can find something with a rigid sole, any sold DH type pedal will work.

Shimano DX are very nice. 50/50's are also nice. I wear a 13, but I ride in skate shoes (Vans Rowley's).

Five.Ten's with a 50/50 pedal would be awesome if they come in a 16.